Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on October 15, 2021, 07:19:15 PM
I guess this points towards LP always having been the title.

It wasn't clear to me at first: It's the TAPE with the "26" on it that's the souviner. Brian wrote "Licorice" and "Pizza" on it to identify what film it was from.  :lol:

Drenk

Ascension.

wilberfan

HA! We know there's at LEAST two!

https://twitter.com/Fid3lCashfl0/status/1449177933076123649

(This could be our next Forum Betting Pool.  I'm gonna take "11".)

wrongright

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 16, 2021, 02:12:37 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on October 15, 2021, 08:14:04 PM
https://twitter.com/haimtaim/status/1449110173038092289

Clearly some of the output from the MGM Licorice Pizza Publicity Machine.

(Fun Fact:  Circus Liquor is in my extended neighborhood.  A local legend for locations and selfies and...)

Two-page interview, not even a mention at the cover, though  :yabbse-sad:

That's some publicity machine.

Another week and nothing. Not even a single official still yet. Are they even trying? I still think the warning signs are all present.

Yes

Quote from: wrongright on October 16, 2021, 01:47:02 PM

(Fun Fact:  Circus Liquor is in my extended neighborhood.  A local legend for locations and selfies and...)

Another week and nothing. Not even a single official still yet. Are they even trying? I still think the warning signs are all present.

I like how you only pop up once a week or so to claim this film is in danger because of..... whatever reason you pull out of a hat this time. Now it's lack of stills

wrongright

Quote from: Yes on October 16, 2021, 02:00:00 PM

I like how you only pop up once a week or so to claim this film is in danger because of..... whatever reason you pull out of a hat this time. Now it's lack of stills

Maybe because there's a number of reasons? Why, a month away from release, is there nothing from this film except a trailer (which was really more a long teaser)? What good films does MGM have on their slate except a divisive Bond film?

You keep saying this film has "buzz". Based on what? Some second-hand account from someone who heard about someone who may have seen it? Your guesses are no better than mine.

Yes

Quote from: wrongright on October 16, 2021, 02:09:18 PM
Quote from: Yes on October 16, 2021, 02:00:00 PM

Maybe because there's a number of reasons? Why, a month away from release, is there nothing from this film except a trailer (which was really more a long teaser)? What good films does MGM have on their slate except a divisive Bond film?

You keep saying this film has "buzz". Based on what? Some second-hand account from someone who heard about someone who may have seen it? Your guesses are no better than mine.

It's been seen. It's had multiple screenings. And it's going to begin public screenings very soon

wrongright

By friends, family, and MGM? That doesn't mean anything. And of course it's going to begin public screenings soon. It releases in a month.

Yes

Quote from: wrongright on October 16, 2021, 02:25:41 PM
By friends, family, and MGM? That doesn't mean anything. And of course it's going to begin public screenings soon. It releases in a month.

Are you LastSnowKing?

Alethia

Re Circus Liquor - I used to pass by there quite often, though I never went in. It also bears the distinction of being featured in a very memorable scene from Clueless, wherein Cher finds herself held at gun point in the parking lot, and after being instructed to lie face down on the pavement, she resists, not wanting to soil her very expensive designer dress ("It's an Alaia!" - "An A-what-a?"). Anyhow, carry on.

wrongright

Yeah, I still have no idea what the hell Lastsnowsking means.

I just think it's silly to be predicting what Oscars it's going to win when we don't even know that this is good. And, for me, there's valid reasons to believe it may not be. Such little publicity or marketing a month away from release, after it skipped all festivals, feels like a worrying sign to me.

Drenk

The wide release is at the end of December, by the way. The butts in LA and NY will sit on these theater seats. Matrix 4 has the same release date, basically, and only one trailer, no press yet...

Festivals =/= quality.

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wrongright on October 16, 2021, 03:27:10 PM
Yeah, I still have no idea what the hell Lastsnowsking means.

I just think it's silly to be predicting what Oscars it's going to win when we don't even know that this is good. And, for me, there's valid reasons to believe it may not be. Such little publicity or marketing a month away from release, after it skipped all festivals, feels like a worrying sign to me.

LastSnowKing was an infamous user on the PTA reddit – always super negative about anything, widely considered a troll.

That said, I agree with you that there's an unnecessary level of silence and secrecy around the movie.

Lots of Bees

Quote from: Drenk on October 16, 2021, 03:45:31 PM
The wide release is at the end of December, by the way. The butts in LA and NY will sit on these theater seats. Matrix 4 has the same release date, basically, and only one trailer, no press yet...

Festivals =/= quality.

Exactly, not to mention Phantom Thread did the exact same thing and had plenty of success. I'd take him doing something different as more of a "warning sign" than this, which seems to work for him