Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Tdog

Sooooo, we might see and/or hear Ernie  Anderson in this one? Who might play him? An SNL alumni?

pynchonikon

The more we sniff around this movie, the more it looks like his most personal since... ever?

wilberfan

Quote from: Tdog on October 11, 2021, 04:13:14 AM
Sooooo, we might see and/or hear Ernie  Anderson in this one?

It would be very easy to hear Ernie off-screen, of course... Maybe see him silloutted in the booth, etc.

kingfan011

Its interesting over on Goldderby this keeps going up on their Best Picture predictions. Wonder if its started screening

Yes

Having seen Power of Dog, there's no chance in it winning. I'd be dumbstruck. It has no social or political relevance. It's not outwardly emotional. It's not universally beloved and broad for general audiences. And every Netflix contender has come up short. The closest comparison is... Moonlight? But that was an unprecedented and passionate win. This is film that will appeal more to critics than Academy

The other major contender is Belfast, but that winning would be another Green Book. It's not inconceivable PTA could beat that. He's most overdue director alive. Has 2 BP noms, could have had 2 more with Boogie Nights and Magnolia. The early word for those who've seen LP is that it's fun. It looks like his most accessible and emotional film. And it's a subject that appeals directly to Oscar voters

Lots of Bees

Quote from: Yes on October 11, 2021, 04:30:36 PM
Having seen Power of Dog, there's no chance in it winning. I'd be dumbstruck. It has no social or political relevance. It's not outwardly emotional. It's not universally beloved and broad for general audiences. And every Netflix contender has come up short. The closest comparison is... Moonlight? But that was an unprecedented and passionate win. This is film that will appeal more to critics than Academy

The other major contender is Belfast, but that winning would be another Green Book. It's not inconceivable PTA could beat that. He's most overdue director alive. Has 2 BP noms, could have had 2 more with Boogie Nights and Magnolia. The early word for those who've seen LP is that it's fun. It looks like his most accessible and emotional film. And it's a subject that appeals directly to Oscar voters

I agree. Not saying it's definite or even likely, but this is at the very least his best shot at winning since TWBB.
I also am betting that, along w Boogie Nights and Magnolia, The Master was on the cusp of a BP nomination, with the 3 acting noms it did get. For me tho, the worst snub for that movie is the fact it didn't get a cinematography nom. I don't understand. The fact that PTA movies have not gotten a single cinematography nomination since TWBB is absurd. No matter how you feel about them, it feels difficult to deny that those are three of the best-looking movies, like, ever.

Yes

The Master had disadvantage of a tough year. It had the Scientology stigma. Weinstein pushed the film to a bad Sept release and focused more on Silver Linings Playbook and Django Unchained. Plus, it competed with Amour and Zero Dark 30 as the big critic, highbrow favorite of the year.

And let's forget, that's an insanely "inaccessible" film that was divisive outside of critics. It's no surprise it tanked in theaters.

d

Hope you are both right.

And I totally agree about the cinematography. The Master is indeed one of the best-looking movies ever and Inherent Vice is underrated also in that department, probably because it is so underrated in general but it looks stunning as well. Do not want to complain about the cinematography in PT again, but LP looks at least as good as IV. Probably not The Master-level but it may as well be his third best-looking movie after The Master and TWBB. If not BP or directing, cinematography nom/win, no matter how unlikely it is, would be so fun.

Yes

The Master is one of the best, most thoughtfully composed films I've ever seen. Without exaggeration. But what's striking is how so many moments near the 3rd act--Hoffman getting his portrait taken--perfectly emulates the color of 50s films

But Inherent Vice might be my favorite looking PTA film. The colors dazzle, the closeups have so much texture

Heisenberg

I think the best chance for an Oscar win would be original screenplay, but Belfast will likely be a huge competitor in that category.

Yes

Quote from: Heisenberg on October 11, 2021, 08:12:23 PM
I think the best chance for an Oscar win would be original screenplay, but Belfast will likely be a huge competitor in that category.

Nah, Belfast would only win there if it's winning Best Picture.

The Screenplay category has become the cool/writerly choice: Promising Young Woman over Trial of Chicago 7. Get Out, Manchester By the Sea, Her. They don't tend to give the Oscar to films like Belfast

Again, it would be like Green Book winning but that won Picture, too. PTA has 4 Screenplay nominations, writers love him. And he could have had a 5th with The Master since he was nominated by WGA and BAFTA. Phantom Thread was a weird snub but he still made Director and Picture. Point is, Screenplay likes to reward Directors who write Screenplays as consolation prizes.

wilberfan

For months and months the IMDB page for Soggy was just crickets and cobwebs. I just did a slow scroll thru it and it feels like it could be completely populated.

What changed?  Where did all that data come from?  And who updated it?

Yes

It's being released and finishing post, studio is updating it with finalized credits

Rooty Poots

Quote from: wilberfan on October 11, 2021, 11:20:15 PM
For months and months the IMDB page for Soggy was just crickets and cobwebs. I just did a slow scroll thru it and it feels like it could be completely populated.

What changed?  Where did all that data come from?  And who updated it?

Christine Ebersole hasn't been added yet.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

pynchonikon

I don't know how big of an achievement you might think it is, but don't understate the fact that this was one of the very first L.A. major film productions which presumed to start filming (against many people's odds, including some in this thread) on location during the pandemic, following the suitable precautions and having no reported incidents/halts. I just don't think all that is something negligible and should be taken for granted.

The only two issues that still hold me back a bit are the inexperienced editor -a ballsy move- and the festival circuit skip which... really looks like a choice.