Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

jviness02

Quote from: d on October 19, 2021, 09:56:57 AM
1. Why would a 14 year old need a babysitter?
2. He was 14 fours year ago, right? So she took care of Cooper when he came to visit Anderson in LA? That's kind of interesting, isn't it? I assume the trip was a "private" one at that time, not related to LP or any other project. I am not that much interested in their private lives but it seems they are pretty close.

I feel like babysit is being used here loosely. I imagine it was more of a "hey, family friend is in town. He's only 14 years old and I got some stuff to do, why don't you show him around town!" kinda thing.  I have referred to that very scenario facetiously as "babysitting". Perhaps that got lost in translation to print.

Or he's just a big baby.

d

Sure. Obviously makes more sense that way. Not so much lost in translation as me reading it literally as a non-native speaker.

Still kind of cool to know that after PSH passed away, Anderson has been "taking care" of the kid, hooked him up with cool older girls from bands etc. ;) But also: gross, as Drenk mentioned. ;)

On the one hand, I feel the interviewers should stay away from the more delicate aspects of what Cooper has been through etc., but on the other hand the whole relationship, PTA-PSH friendship, PTA being a kind of "uncle" figure to Cooper (is it too much to assume/write here, too inquisitive?) that apparently resulted in professional/artistic relationship is interesting. To say that "family" is one big theme in all his movies is to say the obvious but this one seems next level real life "family business".

Pringle

Being 14 and getting to stay with a rockstar sounds awesome. He was giving the kid a fun experience.

Drenk

Yes. But it adds another layer of weirdness to the fact that she had to play at twenty-nine a romance with the kid she got to know when he was fourteen; like, there's nothing inherently wrong with any kind of story, but imagining PTA writing that script with them in mind makes me frown a little.  :yabbse-grin:

He has kids. He can't say that "youth" is an abstract concept. I'm sure he can make the difference between "when I was directing Magnolia" and "almost the age of my eldest daughter". Basically, I also think that he avoided thinking about Alana's age because he wanted to cast her in the movie, and since she was the youngest of the band...
Ascension.

pynchonikon

Pringle

I honestly don't think it's that weird. It's just a movie and they are just pretending.

Drenk

Yeah, I'm a grandpa who believes that you should cast people who are around the same age as the characters they're playing if you have any interest at all in reality, and since a romance between a teenager and an almost 30 years old is obviously fucked up, Alana will probably be significantly younger in the movie. That sucks because he could have, you know, casted anyone else? But then he wouldn't be able to add all the Haims in the movie!

Ascension.

wrongright

That, plus apparently putting every family member and friend in this feel like misbegotten decisions. Feeling more and more skeptical about this. 

wilberfan

jviness02

I was just about to say that I know of three sneak peaks for industry folks in Atlanta next week. Trying to get a ticket!

d

Cool. So I am back to long weeks of reading other people writing how cool it is and wanting to see it too aka 35 mm trailer experience of late September-early October.
Quote from: wrongright on October 19, 2021, 03:21:14 PM
That, plus apparently putting every family member and friend in this feel like misbegotten decisions. Feeling more and more skeptical about this.
Are you being serious? I am not suggesting he cannot be wrong but if it fails (partly) because he put people he likes in it... that would be a shocking failure.

Yes

Not sure I believe him. There's no indication of how to get on MGM's newsletter

But preview screenings are beginning soon I've heard. Expected them to announce on Twitter like Phantom thread

wrongright

Quote from: d on October 19, 2021, 03:29:47 PM
Cool. So I am back to long weeks of reading other people writing how cool it is and wanting to see it too aka 35 mm trailer experience of late September-early October.
Are you being serious? I am not suggesting he cannot be wrong but if it fails (partly) because he put people he likes in it... that would be a shocking failure.

It wouldn't be anywhere near the first time a film has been sunk due to inappropriate casting of family/friends.

PaulElroy35

Lastsnowking , is that you?