Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

polkablues

If the requirement for a movie to do well is that every person on Twitter is on board, then no movie has ever done well.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

Yeah a whopping three random dismissive tweets doesn't mean a thing in regards to the overall effectiveness of the trailer.

wrongright

Of course Twitter doesn't represent everybody, but it's a decent barometer for how something is being received.

Other than that non-interview with Alana Haim, another week goes by with no promo. Still not a single still released.

Lots of Bees

Quote from: wrongright on October 22, 2021, 02:33:46 PM
Of course Twitter doesn't represent everybody, but it's a decent barometer for how something is being received.

Other than that non-interview with Alana Haim, another week goes by with no promo. Still not a single still released.

I don't feel like stills really matter much when there's essentially thousands available to us in trailer form.

wrongright

Quote from: Lots of Bees on October 22, 2021, 02:36:22 PM

I don't feel like stills really matter much when there's essentially thousands available to us in trailer form.

I don't think they matter too much either, but from a marketing standpoint, it's pretty strange.

Does MGM even have the money to promote this? They don't seem to be doing too much for House of Gucci either. But that film needs less help.

Pringle

I think Licorice Pizza looks great and I'm excited for it!

Robyn

Oh, come on now with the marketing shit.

Did a film like, for example, lady bird do well because it had an amazing marketing campaign? Did it do well because it had a better trailer and a poster?

PaulElroy35

Why do YOU care?

You know about it.  Its not a big mainstream film so wont be marketed as one.

wrongright

Quote from: Robyn on October 22, 2021, 02:50:32 PM

Did a film like, for example, lady bird do well because it had an amazing marketing campaign? Did it do well because it had a better trailer and a poster?

Well, yes. Along with the amazing reviews and word of mouth built up during its festival run.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wrongright on October 22, 2021, 03:01:17 PM
Quote from: Robyn on October 22, 2021, 02:50:32 PM

Well, yes. Along with the amazing reviews and word of mouth built up during its festival run.

If it gets good reviews next month then whats the problem?
I think youre just  trying to bring the mood now :)

wrongright

Quote from: Mattbish19 on October 22, 2021, 02:55:42 PM

Why do YOU care?

You know about it.  Its not a big mainstream film so wont be marketed as one.

It's his most expensive film. And like that tweet a few pages back suggested, he sounds on the outs with a lot of studios now. So I'm confused as to why there's such seemingly little effort being put in to to making sure this film does as well as possible.

Robyn

Because they've seen the film and are confident it will be a success either way  :yabbse-smiley:

Robyn

Giant billboards wouldn't change a thing.

It's a small film (despite it's budget) and if it's good it's good. Ladybird wasn't a hyped film until people saw it.

Lots of Bees

Quote from: wrongright on October 22, 2021, 02:42:34 PM
Quote from: Lots of Bees on October 22, 2021, 02:36:22 PM

I don't think they matter too much either, but from a marketing standpoint, it's pretty strange.

Does MGM even have the money to promote this? They don't seem to be doing too much for House of Gucci either. But that film needs less help.

They are playing the trailer consistently in front of James Bond and Dune. Idk what more you could want from an early marketing campaign honestly. Can't say the same for House of Gucci, which I think indicates that this is their top priority rn.

And even if you are more worried about stills, interviews, stuff like that than the trailer itself, I'm sure it's all gearing up and coming soon.

EDIT: Ok, reading that back I guess there is more you could want from a marketing campaign than the trailer playing in front of big movies. But what I'm trying to say is that it's definitely a good sign of their confidence in the movie.

Pringle

I feel like anybody who would be swayed by advance reviews or pre-release press or early buzz is already going to see the movie because it's a PTA movie. That's always going to be the main selling point.

I also think that a month of advance publicity probably isn't necessary these days. It would be overkill IMO. Phantom Thread wasn't even finished by the time the trailers were showing if I remember correctly.