Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

pynchonikon

Quote from: Drenk on October 19, 2021, 03:09:53 PM
Yeah, I'm a grandpa who believes that you should cast people who are around the same age as the characters they're playing if you have any interest at all in reality, and since a romance between a teenager and an almost 30 years old is obviously fucked up, Alana will probably be significantly younger in the movie. That sucks because he could have, you know, casted anyone else? But then he wouldn't be able to add all the Haims in the movie!

So you believe that Joaquin's casting both in Master and IV is wrong as well, right? Or it is the dislike for Haim that is affecting you?

RudyBlatnoyd

Quote from: wrongright on October 19, 2021, 03:21:14 PM
That, plus apparently putting every family member and friend in this feel like misbegotten decisions. Feeling more and more skeptical about this.

Are you engaged in some kind of personal challenge to see how many times you can say the same thing using different words?

Gr8 b8 m8, as I believe people on the internets are prone to remark.

wrongright

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on October 19, 2021, 03:45:26 PM
That, plus apparently putting every family member and friend in this feel like misbegotten decisions. Feeling more and more skeptical about this.

Are you engaged in some kind of personal challenge to see how many times you can say the same thing using different words?

Sorry, do we have to praise everything about this? You don't think it's going to be a talking point?

Drenk

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 19, 2021, 03:39:37 PM
Quote from: Drenk on October 19, 2021, 03:09:53 PM
Yeah, I'm a grandpa who believes that you should cast people who are around the same age as the characters they're playing if you have any interest at all in reality, and since a romance between a teenager and an almost 30 years old is obviously fucked up, Alana will probably be significantly younger in the movie. That sucks because he could have, you know, casted anyone else? But then he wouldn't be able to add all the Haims in the movie!

So you believe that Joaquin's casting both in Master and IV is wrong as well, right? Or it is the dislike for Haim that is affecting you?

The casting of Joaquin works great in The Master. He's physically grossed out when Doris kisses his cheek (and the fact that Beaty is way taller than him is a great choice). IV, I don't understand? Because of the age of the character in the book? It doesn't matter. He's a PI that you could describe as a young PI (it wouldn't have been the case with Downey Jr). Here we're talking about the age of a person who's dating a seventeen years old in what seems to be, essentially, a romantic comedy. And we're not even sure that she isn't a high school student in the movie.

Anyway. This is based on the limited info we've got about the characters.
Ascension.

RudyBlatnoyd

Quote from: wrongright on October 19, 2021, 03:53:50 PM

Sorry, do we have to praise everything about this? You don't think it's going to be a talking point?

I don't really know why I'm biting, but... lots of filmmakers throughout the history of the medium have had a company of actors around them – friends and associates – whom they'd repeatedly cast in their movies. I don't really see how it's a big deal. Nepotistic, sure, but that's common in the industry, too. Casting unknowns or novices because the director has got to know them on a personal level is hardly unheard of, either. Pasolini, Rossellini etc etc.

But fine, okay, cool, whatever. You do you.

Yes

the trailer clearly deals with Alana's reluctance with her relationship with Gary. And yeah, she might not even be a student honestly. Her getting a job at Wachs office(?) where Hoffman seeems to also work/volunteer makes more sense

I don't see what the big deal is. If she plays 18, that would be weird, I guess, but the film isn't going to shy away from it

Drenk

Quote from: Yes on October 19, 2021, 04:15:49 PM
the trailer clearly deals with Alana's reluctance with her relationship with Gary. And yeah, she might not even be a student honestly. Her getting a job at Wachs office(?) where Hoffman seeems to also work/volunteer makes more sense

I don't see what the big deal is. If she plays 18, that would be weird, I guess, but the film isn't going to shy away from it

Yeah, I find that line in the trailer very awkward and I have a hard time that Alana's sister who's always very bad on screen will elevate the scene. Not a fan of the "immature adult" who can therefore get romantically involved with a kid narrative, especially when it's supposed to be cute (showing her boobs for a laugh).

Like...I'm seriously worried that PTA will be tone-deaf. Once again: I have no issues with a story of inappropriate love because twisted situations is what always interest me, and I should think more highly of PTA, but I sense that it will only include "that's weird, right?" moments...

And then the third act will be about how Alana showing her boobs to Cooper is fucked up, forcing her to leave town and her dream job.  :yabbse-grin:
Ascension.

Yes

I wonder what the framing device will be. Phantom Thread had the bookend of Alma "recounting" Reynolds and Inherent Vice has the Joanna narration chronicling memories.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Drenk on October 19, 2021, 04:24:20 PM

Yeah, I find that line in the trailer very awkward and I have a hard time that Alana's sister who's always very bad on screen will elevate the scene. Not a fan of the "immature adult" who can therefore get romantically involved with a kid narrative, especially when it's supposed to be cute (showing her boobs for a laugh).

Like...I'm seriously worried that PTA will be tone-deaf. Once again: I have no issues with a story of inappropriate love because twisted situations is what always interest me, and I should think more highly of PTA, but I sense that it will only include "that's weird, right?" moments...

And then the third act will be about how Alana showing her boobs to Cooper is fucked up, forcing her to leave town and her dream job.  :yabbse-grin:

Sounds like  you have the film all worked out already. No need for you to see it is there?

Drenk

Quote from: Mattbish19 on October 19, 2021, 04:37:30 PM
Quote from: Drenk on October 19, 2021, 04:24:20 PM

Sounds like  you have the film all worked out already. No need for you to see it is there?

Maybe you should read the last line of that post again and try not to assume that I'm a moron, too.  :yabbse-smiley:
Ascension.

wilberfan

Regarding Alana's character's age in the film:  She still lives at home (with Mom and Dad and sisters?).  In 1973 it was quite do-able to support yourself (especially with roommates) with a 'regular' job--which suggests that she's at the younger end of the scale.  Gary has a job--and he's even younger. 

Drenk

Quote from: wilberfan on October 19, 2021, 04:42:27 PM
Regarding Alana's character's age in the film:  She still lives at home (with Mom and Dad and sisters?).  In 1973 it was quite do-able to support yourself (especially with roommates) with a 'regular' job--which suggests that she's at the younger end of the scale.  Gary has a job--and he's even younger.

Adults can own dolls. But: the dolls in Alana's bedroom + the teenage frustration in display make me believe that she will be a student in Gary's high school. I rewatched the trailer: she looks too old. I tried to think "well, she looks younger than 29" but no: she looks 29. And I notice that Gary is around: kids way smaller than him in his play, and all his friends (15, apparently) also make him look older.

But I promise to stop mentioning the subject until I've seen the movie.
Ascension.

wrongright

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on October 19, 2021, 04:14:00 PM
Quote from: wrongright on October 19, 2021, 03:53:50 PM

I don't really know why I'm biting, but... lots of filmmakers throughout the history of the medium have had a company of actors around them – friends and associates – whom they'd repeatedly cast in their movies. I don't really see how it's a big deal. Nepotistic, sure, but that's common in the industry, too. Casting unknowns or novices because the director has got to know them on a personal level is hardly unheard of, either. Pasolini, Rossellini etc etc.

But fine, okay, cool, whatever. You do you.

Yeah, I know. The issue with this for me is it doesn't feel organic. More like he was going out of his way to come up with scenarios to put everyone in a movie. I don't really care so much about his kids being extras. That's common. But the Haim family all playing a family seems distracting and something that will take people out of the film. I hope I'm wrong and it comes off as natural and convincing.

Yes

Well, he had a casting call pre-COVID for the lead. I guess the move to MGM and the pandemic "forced" him into casting Hoffman and Haim. So he just had a family affair and tossed roles to his buddies and whatnot since they were around and he did not want to wait to film again. Whether it pans out, we'll see. But I think Hoffman looks genuinely terrific.

wilberfan

Given his 'closeness' to Coop and Alana, it would not surprise me a bit if he wrote the film for them.