Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Yes

Quote from: wilberfan on October 17, 2021, 02:09:26 PM
Quote from: pynchonikon on October 17, 2021, 02:03:36 PM
PTA won't be unemployed anytime soon, he always finds a way. (Like Ridley Scott does, since you mentioned)

As will M. Knight Shamalan, apparently.

M. Night actually makes money unlike PTA.

Maybe PTA should do a 5m horror film next or create a cinematic universe with Plainview and Diggler meeting each other

wrongright

https://twitter.com/TrevorNWhite/status/1449814571183587328

I don't think the trailer is very good or effective at all in interesting anyone who isn't already a fan. Add the bland poster and it goes back to what I said, it feels like they're not even trying.

wilberfan

Quote from: Yes on October 17, 2021, 02:12:21 PM
M. Night actually makes money unlike PTA.

That's actually an excellent point.  In my soft-focus version of the world, only the people who make good films would be allowed to make more films--which, of course, is NOT how Hollywood works at all. 

But I guess, in a real sense, PTA is the exception that proves that rule:  He makes good films that don't make a lot of money, but enough people with proximity to purse strings want to see (or be associated with) the next one.

Yes

Quote from: wrongright on October 17, 2021, 02:16:26 PM
https://twitter.com/TrevorNWhite/status/1449814571183587328

I don't think the trailer is very good or effective at all in interesting anyone who isn't already a fan. Add the bland poster and it goes back to what I said, it feels like they're not even trying.

You should post this message maybe 16 more times or find more random tweets, I'm not sure you conveyed the idea yet. We haven't gotten it yet

Jeremy Blackman

I got the opposite reaction showing the trailer to non-PTA fans: "oh that looks fun, I would definitely see that."

But yes, the poster is awful.

Drenk

There's still a slight chance this is a teaser poster.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

I dunno, it's in actual theaters now. (Pics on page 244.)

HACKANUT

Genuinely curious what you guys think would make a better poster. Especially considering how many of you thought the beautiful hand-lettered logo was bad.

Jeremy Blackman

I definitely still think the hand-lettered logo is bad. It looks better on the poster, but the poster's overall badness eclipses it.

In terms of suggestions, for the poster I would basically like anything that looks good.

Drenk

It looks like an Instagram set picture, basically. Except it doesn't even seem to be a set? More like a Vanity Fair thing, then. Somebody said that it looks like a record cover and...maybe? I'm not sure about that. There are good covers for covers, even for indie bands.
Ascension.

Yes

The poster is terrible but (and not to defend it) most modern posters are awful now. Not sure how they could have changed it. And even had the poster been good... is a poster really going to move the needle in terms of marketing?

The Once Upon a Time in Hollywood poster is the same pose and image

ono

HACKANUT

Any actual criteria for what would've been a good poster in your eyes? "Anything good" is... I mean come on.
What more do you want then an iconic logo (regardless of your aesthetic taste, it's eye catching) and a simple image that sets up the main relationship of the film?
It's checking all the boxes it needs to.

Yes

Quote from: HACKANUT on October 17, 2021, 03:24:46 PM
Any actual criteria for what would've been a good poster in your eyes? "Anything good" is... I mean come on.
What more do you want then an iconic logo (regardless of your aesthetic taste, it's eye catching) and a simple image that sets up the main relationship of the film?
It's checking all the boxes it needs to.

Is anyone even aware it's an iconic logo? Or what it even means? The poster is just a boring image of two people standing. There's no idea of the time frame in movie. The expressions on their faces aren't exactly comedic. The background is... a road with a car. I don't think it sets up the relationship at all--I'd guess they'd be brother and sister if anything. If they wanted a romantic angle, why not make the poster the shot of them walking down street at night or them on that waterbed? That would be similar to PDL. It just fails to show off what the movie is. It doesn't showcase Cooper's acting background either.

Something like the Lady Bird poster is far more striking with Saoirse Ronan's profile and the color of the font.

Drenk

I'm not a poster designer, I just immediately sense how cheap that particular picture looks likeā€”and I suppose that "cheap" was what they were aiming at, the cover for the last Haim record, shot by PTA, actually looks good. And the poster also seems like they were trying to hide themselves from the world to smoke some pot: its bareness isn't necessarily appealing, and doesn't promise, anyway, an epic romance in scope.

Ascension.