Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

PaulElroy35

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 13, 2021, 04:26:56 AM
I don't know how big of an achievement you might think it is, but don't understate the fact that this was one of the very first L.A. major film productions which presumed to start filming (against many people's odds, including some in this thread) on location during the pandemic, following the suitable precautions and having no reported incidents/halts. I just don't think all that is something negligible and should be taken for granted.

The only two issues that still hold me back a bit are the inexperienced editor -a ballsy move- and the festival circuit skip which... really looks like a choice.

To be fair Andy Jurgensen has worked in the editing department of alot of films and has worked  close with Paul editing a hunch of his music videos Paul directed. Hes jot exactly a new comer.

Ven I'd he wasnt Paul's first choice I'm sure Paul chose him because he knows he is good for the job.

Tdog

Quote from: Mattbish19 on October 13, 2021, 05:16:36 AM
I don't know how big of an achievement you might think it is, but don't understate the fact that this was one of the very first L.A. major film productions which presumed to start filming (against many people's odds, including some in this thread) on location during the pandemic, following the suitable precautions and having no reported incidents/halts. I just don't think all that is something negligible and should be taken for granted.

The only two issues that still hold me back a bit are the inexperienced editor -a ballsy move- and the festival circuit skip which... really looks like a choice.

To be fair Andy Jurgensen has worked in the editing department of alot of films and has worked  close with Paul editing a hunch of his music videos Paul directed. Hes jot exactly a new comer.

Ven I'd he wasnt Paul's first choice I'm sure Paul chose him because he knows he is good for the job.

Sre tou on tour lhone?

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Tdog on October 13, 2021, 07:40:45 AM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on October 13, 2021, 05:16:36 AM

Sre tou on tour lhone?

Yeah sorry i was on my phone.

To be fair Andy Jurgensen has worked in the editing department of alot of films and has worked  close with Paul editing a bunch of his music videos Paul directed. Hes not exactly a newcomer.

He might not have been  Paul's first choice however  I'm sure Paul chose him because he knows he is good for the job.

wilberfan

Yup. My best guess would have been Spring of '21 for start of Principal Photog. And shooting during a pandemic was a VERY gutsy move--edge of the envelope stuff at the time.

Wonder what was pushing them so hard? Cooper's age? Calculated risk? It would be fascinating to know what went into the decision.

d

PTA really wanting to make it as soon as possible is not a good enough reason? ;)

wilberfan

Well, sure. To you and me.

But there's DOLLARS at stake, too.  LOTS of them.  :shock:.  (And not yours and mine.)

wilberfan

Paul's evolving family of collaborators fascinates me.  Some are with him a very long time (Bridges, Kulukundis), others are one-offs, others multiple efforts, and then go away (Tichenor).

It may be no more complicated than we all change on differing ways over time.

I've spoken with a "one-off" who's never understood why they weren't asked to join the team again. Hurt by it, too.

Tdog

Quote from: wilberfan on October 13, 2021, 09:39:52 AM

I've spoken with a "one-off" who's never understood why they weren't asked to join the team again. Hurt by it, too.

That would feel really shit indeed, but you never know what they are like or the quality of their work.

Alethia

Paul's evolving family of collaborators fascinates me.  Some are with him a very long time (Bridges, Kulukundis), others are one-offs, others multiple efforts, and then go away (Tichenor).

They all gradually located a different karmic thermal, gliding each into different fates...

Burt Reynolds? Mihai?

Tdog

polkablues

Quote from: eward on October 13, 2021, 09:46:30 AM

Burt Reynolds? Mihai?

Froio
My house, my rules, my coffee

Rooty Poots

Is Tichenor not coming back, you think? Was this not a scheduling conflict, and more of the kind of creative differences that Paul had with Elswit?

Quote from: wilberfan on October 13, 2021, 09:19:09 AM
Wonder what was pushing them so hard? Cooper's age? Calculated risk? It would be fascinating to know what went into the decision.

Knowing what we know now, I would guess that the ages of the actors—especially Cooper, but not necessarily limited to him—played a huge factor.[
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Rooty Poots

I bet he had hoped to start on this quite a bit earlier—like two years earlier—and with the age of his cast (and the delays after Focus Features passed it onto MGM), he felt time was already running out. That would answer so many questions: why rush to film during a pandemic? Why not wait for his frequent collaborators' schedule conflicts to clear?
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Yes

There are so many productions resuming after COVID and had to pause because of it. I don't think that's really any narrative for this film that puts it above others.

The lack of a festival run is most concerning but PTA is just doing PTA things again. Not worried about the editor

Yes

Quote from: Rooty Poots on October 13, 2021, 01:12:47 PM

Is Tichenor not coming back, you think? Was this not a scheduling conflict, and more of the kind of creative differences that Paul had with Elswit?

Quote from: wilberfan on October 13, 2021, 09:19:09 AM

Knowing what we know now, I would guess that the ages of the actors—especially Cooper, but not necessarily limited to him—played a huge factor.[

Tichenor is editing Eternals. He couldn't work on this. Only Elswitt and Mihai have had "falling outs" with him. Reynolds but that was a different scenario

PTA just wanted to make a movie, I don't see it more than that. It was announced in 2019 so he spent 2018 writing it. Probably had ideas even longer than that. 2020 had many speed bumps and MGM was his only opportunity for time being. So he just got the LA gang back together he's been making music with and that's that