Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

brockly

Quote from: bonanzataz on March 28, 2008, 07:22:47 PM
raconteurs - consolers of the lonely

i didn't know it was out. or even announced.. what's it like?

bonanzataz

Quote from: brockly on March 28, 2008, 07:33:02 PM
Quote from: bonanzataz on March 28, 2008, 07:22:47 PM
raconteurs - consolers of the lonely

i didn't know it was out. or even announced.. what's it like?

yeah, apparently they mixed it earlier this month and released it on their website for download a few days ago without any marketing or fanfare. the only reason i found out was because i was coincidentally listening to brendan benson and wanted to know when his new album came out, but it looks like he shelved it or something, anyway...

it's ok. it's certainly something i won't be listening to over and over but it was a good diversion (which is how i feel about most music today). my main problem with it was that it just sounds like a jack white side project. he knows his limitations when he's playing as the white stripes, and here he's just trying to do something else. it's loud and it's cocky, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just not really my thing. i'm just upset because benson needs to get his act together and release something new already instead of backing up jack white. it's been three years since alternative to love and in that time i've gotten two raconteurs albums. i'm not happy. if you liked the first album, this is worth a listen.

on the other hand, that teenagers album is hilarious. even if every song sounds exactly the same, it's still great. i saw the video a while back and thought it was a joke, but i'm glad there's a whole album behind it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Stefen

I like the new Raconteurs album. I'm a Jack White fan though, so I guess I'm supposed to. Many Shades Of Black is excellent. Jack's voice has gotten alot better.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

I didn't really take to the first Raconteurs album, but White and Benson are enough musical currency for me to give them another shot.

Currently in rotation:

Jonathan Richman - Because Her Beauty Is Raw and Wild

I really, really, really, really like Jonathan Richman.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

modage

i've had Streethawk for 3 years and JUST now realized how awesome it is.  so now i'm filling in some gaps.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: john on March 29, 2008, 10:00:51 PM

Jonathan Richman - Because Her Beauty Is Raw and Wild

WHERE?!

context, context, context.

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

DJ Boba Fettucini - Godzilla: King of the Breakbeats

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

JG

Quote from: modage on March 30, 2008, 09:13:10 AM

i've had Streethawk for 3 years and JUST now realized how awesome it is.  so now i'm filling in some gaps.

thats one of his least accessible so if you don't like it, don't let it scare you away. but you're on the right track.. now you need to realize how awesome sunset rubdown really is.

Stefen

Quote from: ddiggler on March 30, 2008, 11:23:50 PM

it's AWESOME

These guys were AWESOME in the early 90's. haha.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: JG on March 31, 2008, 08:52:39 PM
now you need to realize how awesome sunset rubdown really is.

tried.  saw them last week at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple.  not crazy about it.  but Handsome Furs this sunday will make up for it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

john

Quote from: cron on March 30, 2008, 02:08:20 PM

WHERE?!

Friend of a friend at Vapor.

Kind of an early birthday present to sate my Richman fanaticism.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: JG on March 31, 2008, 08:52:39 PM
Quote from: modage on March 30, 2008, 09:13:10 AM

thats one of his least accessible so if you don't like it, don't let it scare you away. but you're on the right track.. now you need to realize how awesome sunset rubdown really is.

i've been listening to this night for the last couple days and it's probably my second favorite destroyer album after rubies

Stefen

Don't buy it, though. Their old record label is really fucking them.

hedwig

(cover art hasn't leaked)

The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me