Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Yes on October 05, 2021, 02:17:34 AM
Don't the majority of films use VFX? Mostly with color grade and background work

Absolutely they do. I wasn't surprised that LP would be using VFX, just wondering what kind it'd need. Will it need work as simple as removing modern signage, etc., as mentioned? Something more intense (like Magnolia's falling frogs)? Or is Alana going to need to save Cooper from the clutches of a 200 ft beast
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Yes

Quote from: Rooty Poots on October 05, 2021, 02:52:03 AM
Quote from: Yes on October 05, 2021, 02:17:34 AM
Don't the majority of films use VFX? Mostly with color grade and background work

Absolutely they do. I wasn't surprised that LP would be using VFX, just wondering what kind it'd need. Will it need work as simple as removing modern signage, etc., as mentioned? Something more intense (like Magnolia's falling frogs)? Or is Alana going to need to save Cooper from the clutches of a 200 ft beast

Probably just period touch-up. I know there is speculation of a darker, more melodramatic current that is being hidden but Magnolia 2.0 would be shocking lol. Even Phantom thread with the mushrooms would be shocking

Drenk

"Mushrooms are falling from the sky."
Ascension.

HACKANUT

*push in* *rack focus*

"But it did happen."

Drenk

*coughs, then snorts another one*
Ascension.

Yes

We all read this article years ago when it dropped but interesting to revisit after the LP trailer. https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a4973/paul-thomas-anderson-1008/

QuoteHe ran with a group of rich kids that included a urologist's son named Steve Garrett, an entertainment lawyer's son named Alain Kalcheim, and Shane Conrad, son of actor Robert Conrad.

QuoteThen Ernie gave him one of the first video cameras to hit the market, a boxy old Betamax. He was about twelve, fresh from his break with Buckley, deeply in need of a stabilizing force -- and tellingly, his starter movies were all vignettes of Ernie and his rat pack of show-business buddies doing silly things. One time, they had a contest to see who could bake the best pie, but the pies were so awful, they ended up bringing in the family's Shetland pony to judge the contest. As the pony sniffed one pie and then another and finally made his choice, they laughed and laughed -- and Paul got it all on video.

Another time, one of the family dogs swallowed a whole orange and Ernie sat sentry until it passed the whole damn thing. Paul thought it was hilarious and videotaped it all.

Scenes in the trailer of Hoffman and his friends with recording equipment while Alana sits up front could be somewhat inspired by this

wilberfan

I'm sure there is an amalgam of childhood memories/adventures in the film--Gary's, his older siblings/extended family?  Or 'inspired-by', type of thing.

The in-the-car thing is very likely Wachs Campaign-related?  We see they're shooting (slating) a Fat Bernie's commercial in the trailer.  Wachs is clearly driving the car, Alana is probably volunteering for his campaign--maybe roped Gary and his 'crew' into helping make a TV commercial...

Yes

Quote from: wilberfan on October 05, 2021, 07:24:54 PM
I'm sure there is an amalgam of childhood memories/adventures in the film--Gary's, his older siblings/extended family?  Or 'inspired-by', type of thing.

The in-the-car thing is very likely Wachs Campaign-related?  We see they're shooting (slating) a Fat Bernie's commercial in the trailer.  Wachs is clearly driving the car, Alana is probably volunteering for his campaign--maybe roped Gary and his 'crew' into helping make a TV commercial...

I was thinking he was previously volunteering for him before even meeting her. And she shows up for work there. But that's just my speculation. And along the way, they develop a friendship/relationship and shoot commercials, etc.

wrongright

It's October and still no official photos, no interviews/press? Still hasn't screened for anybody?

Lots of Bees

Quote from: wrongright on October 05, 2021, 08:52:18 PM
It's October and still no official photos, no interviews/press? Still hasn't screened for anybody?

I'm sure all that stuff is coming soon. It's exciting

Yes

It's been screened already. People have seen this. It's been reported already. That is how we knew it was based on Gary Goetzman

Lots of Bees

Quote from: Yes on October 05, 2021, 11:02:22 PM
It's been screened already. People have seen this. It's been reported already. That is how we knew it was based on Gary Goetzman

Oh really? Interesting, I didn't realize that's how we knew, I figured it was just info from someone close to the project. Or someone who had seen the trailer. The only screening I knew of was that Amanda Demme almost definitely saw the film on Paul's bday (but that must have been just a close friends/family thing). And Jonny Greenwood lol.

Yes

jviness02

Obviously the writer is talking about second hand knowledge, so it's possible it's not entirely accurate, but that seems to imply Bradley Cooper isn't actually playing Jon Peters. I feel like being upfront about the Streisand stuff in the trailer, he's definitely actually playing him.