Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drenk

Where was all that love for fashion when the Phantom Thread trailer dropped?  :ponder:
Ascension.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: wilberfan on October 02, 2021, 07:21:24 PM
Shall we do a Wardrobe Analysis on who "Nancy" might be...?

I was reading that shot as Sean Penn acting in a movie. Perhaps "Nancy" is the character Alana is playing in the Tom Waits movie?

jviness02

Quote from: Drenk on October 02, 2021, 07:29:59 PM
Where was all that love for fashion when the Phantom Thread trailer dropped?  :ponder:

Even though it won the Oscar for Best Costume, I thought the overall consensus was that ironically, the dresses were all rather ugly in the film.

HACKANUT

Quote from: MaurizioBunkus on October 02, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

I was reading that shot as Sean Penn acting in a movie. Perhaps "Nancy" is the character Alana is playing in the Tom Waits movie?

Eh, I don't think anything points to "Nancy" needing to be Alana, or even an on-screen character at all. In the context of a film-within-a-film, this line could just as easily be used with zero context. Easily plays as a funny line to have Penn's character's character say.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: HACKANUT on October 02, 2021, 07:43:20 PM
Quote from: MaurizioBunkus on October 02, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Eh, I don't think anything points to "Nancy" needing to be Alana, or even an on-screen character at all. In the context of a film-within-a-film, this line could just as easily be used with zero context. Easily plays as a funny line to have Penn's character's character say.

Oh absolutely, and I'd stake money on you being correct...

...but if this does turn into a "co-star fling" situation...

Alethia

I can't wait until this thing comes out and we get to see how wrong all of our predictions are.

wilberfan

That's half the fun!   :yabbse-grin:

ono

Hey remember when we thought Penn said he's a Nazi?  That was cool.

Yes

I still hear "Nazi"  :)

So I wouldn't blame anyone thinking that

HACKANUT

Watch it turn out to be "I'm A Nancy!"

Unsettling.

Yes

Sorry for the rambling but what else is this thread for!

Haven't seen it noted that the first part of trailer seems to be all connected--Cooper Hoffman in line watching Alana Haim, they are both wearing the same clothes few moments later in scene when she puts her feet up. Mary Elizabeth ellis is in the background. What could this mean? I assumed she was playing an agent but are they at school? (Sue Mengers worked as a secretary). Why is Cooper on the phone?

Lots of Bees

Quote from: Yes on October 03, 2021, 02:17:04 AM
Sorry for the rambling but what else is this thread for!

Haven't seen it noted that the first part of trailer seems to be all connected--Cooper Hoffman in line watching Alana Haim, they are both wearing the same clothes few moments later in scene when she puts her feet up. Mary Elizabeth ellis is in the background. What could this mean? I assumed she was playing an agent but are they at school? (Sue Mengers worked as a secretary). Why is Cooper on the phone?

I think in the shot with the feet they're in Wacht's office. I'm still thinking Mary Elizabeth Ellis is playing somebody who works there, not Sue Mengers. Unless there's some situation in which Mengers could be helping out Wachts/Safdie. My take is, much like somebody said before, Cooper and Alana see each other while campaigning for Wachts, this is what kicks things off between them. Again, just a guess but seems reasonable based on the evidence.

pynchonikon

Mary Elizabeth Ellis in Licorice Pizza trailer - she can be spotted on three different scenes - an attempt to define her role in the movie:

Spoiler: ShowHide

First scene she appears to sit on a desk behind Gary who's talking on the phone while being captivated by Alana's feet (Quentin approves). Notice the red sign up left of the scene where the words "Motion Picture Industry" can be identified - just a decoration or something that reinforces the opinion that she's playing a talent agent?

Second scene she appears in the middle sitting again on a desk and talking to a blonde lady surrounded by kids. The place is the Fat Bernie's store, as you can tell from the sign on the left of the scene. Is she working there or just trying to book new clients? (Interesting that Alana seems to work in this store - isn't some sort of a catalogue that she's holding?)

Third and last scene she can be easily spotted on the middle sitting with Gary, Alana and the rest of the gang eating and counting money. I think this scene indicates her familiarity with these young characters.

It can't be told with certainty if she's playing someone's relative, but if I had to guess I would say that she's Gary's mom/aunt and also his agent, she's running an office -where Gary occasionally helps her- and that's the scene where he meets Alana for the first time (the scene in the campus where they see each other happens before or after that? her face expression when she notices him is ambiguous "god why is this kid starring at me" or "oh shit not this kid again") - is she also trying to make a profit from acting among other things? 

Rooty Poots

In the second screenshot with the Fat Bernie's sign, and Alana holding a clipboard or whatever, couldn't  that be a casting call for the Fat Bernie's commercial we see later on?
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco