Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

d

Cigar or not, I think it's safe to assume hot-shot actor and gross lines are both said to Gary, right?

pynchonikon

Quote from: d on October 02, 2021, 12:48:55 PM
Cigar or not, I think it's safe to assume hot-shot actor and gross lines are both said to Gary, right?

Yes it is certain, the outfits match:

Spoiler: ShowHide

pynchonikon

Another interesting outfit-match (I'm starting to think that Paul is really messing with us):

d

Why "messing with us"?

She is wearing the floral one in at least two more scenes (in the car with the boys and when Gary (?) is driving away and she is trying to stop him). Not sure we should be reading too much into the clothes they wear. They may have a finite number of outfits after all. ;) But I have been pausing the trailer again focusing on the clothes and oh boy those shirts Gary wears, stripes with some extra dots. They are terrible, aren't they? Little wonder she likes Penn's character more, at least for some time.

Not sure if it was mentioned before but I've just noticed that the trailer on YT is now available in 1080, previously on UA website it was their custom player if I'm correct. And while I was skeptical about Anderson taking over DoP duties and am not crazy about the cinematography in PT and was excited about his collaboration with Khondji on Anima, I like the looks of the trailer more and more every day. An Oscar nom is probably out of the question but I doubt it would be unjustified. This may be one of his best looking movies.

wilberfan

I can't check at the moment (yes, I'm at work), but can we tell what Alana's wearing in the roadster with Penn?  That's how she (they) get to the restaurant.  So Gary has to already be there, or shows up later.  She's in a booth with Penn, and in a booth with Gary?  Same booth, different times?  Or is Gary at a different booth...

d

Hard to tell in both cases but my bet is:
- plain top (the one she's wearing on the water bed with Gary) in the roadster,
- different booths but maybe it seems so because of different camera angles.

When she's with Penn it feels like an after-party or something as when she tells Gary he is "not her director" it seems like a bigger crowd (outside?). Cause it seems the same night, doesn't it?

jviness02

Quote from: wilberfan on October 01, 2021, 09:59:54 PM
Ask her what she thinks about me.

Quote from: Yes on October 01, 2021, 10:04:05 PM
Ask if she thinks it's weird you hang out with XIXAX and it's friends

Quote from: MaurizioBunkus on October 01, 2021, 11:07:34 PM
Quote from: Yes on October 01, 2021, 10:04:05 PM
Ask if she thinks it's weird you hang out with XIXAX and it's friends

I think it's weird he hangs out with XIXAX and it's friends all the time.

:rofl:

She calls this a "chat room" and thinks it's cute all the losers have each other. I tried to explain the concept of a forum but she's not letting go of "chat room" because she knows it makes my skin crawl lol

Drill

Quote from: wilberfan on October 02, 2021, 10:56:39 AM
Yeah, that's Pops.  The only Haim missing in this capture is Mom.  If Mom is still with us, I'm certain she'll appear somewhere in the film.  (She was Paul's art(?) teacher when he was in high school.)

(There are a ton of family and friends in this film.  A full accounting, if possible, would be fascinating.)

Yeah, it seems obvious now that Amanda Demme was referring to seeing this film in her birthday post.

Yes

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 02, 2021, 01:44:58 PM
Another interesting outfit-match (I'm starting to think that Paul is really messing with us):

He isn't "messing" with us?

HACKANUT

similar to previous comparison pics... but this is the shot that's really tripping me out every time.

Robyn

^holy shit, that's amazing

wilberfan

Quote from: jviness02 on October 02, 2021, 04:03:01 PM
She calls this a "chat room" and thinks it's cute all the losers have each other.

XIXAX Chat: Where All the Losers Have Each Other

As good a reason as any to bring back the marquee.

wilberfan

eward was musing off-forum that he and I may have our own cameo in the film. (see below, circled.)  It's what we're going to tell everyone.

(In truth, those are extras on the sidewalk on the far side of the street.  The Nerds were out of frame to camera right (in front of a bright red neon FLORIST sign).)

Alethia

Damn I got soggy during quarantine  :oops:

wilberfan

Shall we do a Wardrobe Analysis on who "Nancy" might be...?