Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Lots of Bees

The trailer on the MGM site looks so much better to me than the one on youtube. Like the one on youtube already looked amazing but it definitely looked 'less filmy' than every other PTA movie; I can't see the grain even on the highest quality. I kept feeling like.. the cinematography looks GOOD but not extremely different from something like OUATIH or any other recent movie shot on film. But on the MGM site the grain looks incredible - every shot looks so much richer and more like what I've come to expect from PTA. Assuming that's closer to what the lucky 35mm folks saw. Makes me even more excited to see it in theaters. Anybody else have the same feeling?

Lots of Bees

Quote from: Lots of Bees on September 30, 2021, 08:52:42 PM
The trailer on the MGM site looks so much better to me than the one on youtube. Like the one on youtube already looked amazing but it definitely looked 'less filmy' than every other PTA movie; I can't see the grain even on the highest quality. I kept feeling like.. the cinematography looks GOOD but not extremely different from something like OUATIH or any other recent movie shot on film. But on the MGM site the grain looks incredible - every shot looks so much richer and more like what I've come to expect from PTA. Assuming that's closer to what the lucky 35mm folks saw. Makes me even more excited to see it in theaters. Anybody else have the same feeling?

Like look at the first one (youtube at 1080p) vs the second (MGM at 1080p)

wilberfan

I'm not sure how definitive an article about Oscar predictions can be, but this post is listing PTA and Bauman as co-Cinematographers on Licorice.

https://variety.com/feature/2022-oscars-best-cinematography-predictions-1235071964/

[edit]  Well, if Variety is adhering to journalistic standards, then maybe it is definitive.

https://twitter.com/byclaytondavis/status/1443747574624579586

d

Quote from: Lots of Bees on September 30, 2021, 06:37:48 PM
100 min isn't the actual runtime. It's a placeholder they use for every movie on that site. So still up in the air
Yep, the site does not work for me but that was also my first thought. 100 min seems suspiciously round and rather short (that would be his shortest since PDL, right?). Think of the trailer for PDL. That one really feels short. Phantom Thread may feel shorter in the trailer but it is 130 min. Even if LP focuses mainly on the romance and the two characters, 100 minutes seems really really short to me and would mean a big change in his approach to storytelling. Hope it is at least 120 min. Even if Waits or Cooper are there for one or two scenes, their scenes in the trailer do not seem directly related to the romantic part. Penn is seen a couple of times already. And there is also all this casting business and the politics, and the gas subplot. Hard to imagine it can be squeezed into 100 min. Given PTA's history. Unless the new editor is a magician.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: d on October 01, 2021, 01:52:18 AM
Quote from: Lots of Bees on September 30, 2021, 06:37:48 PM
100 min isn't the actual runtime. It's a placeholder they use for every movie on that site. So still up in the air
Yep, the site does not work for me but that was also my first thought. 100 min seems suspiciously round and rather short (that would be his shortest since PDL, right?). Think of the trailer for PDL. That one really feels short. Phantom Thread may feel shorter in the trailer but it is 130 min. Even if LP focuses mainly on the romance and the two characters, 100 minutes seems really really short to me and would mean a big change in his approach to storytelling. Hope it is at least 120 min. Even if Waits or Cooper are there for one or two scenes, their scenes in the trailer do not seem directly related to the romantic part. Penn is seen a couple of times already. And there is also all this casting business and the politics, and the gas subplot. Hard to imagine it can be squeezed into 100 min. Given PTA's history. Unless the new editor is a magician.

At least for me, Phantom Thread even feels short in the viewing. I gave it a re-watch a couple nights ago, and it really doesn't feel like 2 hours 10. I'm not going to be surprised at all if Monsieur Anderson releases a 140 min Licorice Pizza that feels like 100.

d

I agree that Phantom Thread does not feel 130 min. But while "140 min Licorice Pizza that feels like 100" is possible, I don't think "100 min Licorice Pizza that feels like 140 min is that likely.

Yes

I don't know, I think it'll be short. He's made clear his love for things likeLady Bird which was under 100 minutes. The trailer and vibe doesn't give off epic length. You can also see many characters wearing same clothes so it shouldn't span too much time

d

There is short and there is PTA short. Who knows but I will be surprised and slightly disappointed, if this one is 100 minutes. 115-120 seems about right to me. However, if it's 100 min, fast-paced but rich and eventful and it will help the box office, I'am more than happy with that. I have no doubts he can do that while maintaining everything I love his films for.

Find Your Magali

The cinematography Oscar has gone to a team of 2 or more people 13 times, but not since 1982 (Gandhi)

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Yes on October 01, 2021, 02:48:50 AM
I don't know, I think it'll be short. He's made clear his love for things likeLady Bird which was under 100 minutes. The trailer and vibe doesn't give off epic length. You can also see many characters wearing same clothes so it shouldn't span too much time

To be fair, Magnolia didn't span too much time either. I think only one character ever changed clothes, right?
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on October 01, 2021, 02:48:50 AM

To be fair Alana and Gary also wear alot of different clothes so it could span some time.

Rooty Poots

His most difficult movies, The Master and Inherent Vice, both felt (to me) like they suffered from having been cut down too much. And they're not short movies! But I think they were both too short for the stories they were trying to tell, perhaps, and the missing scenes harmed the narrative. (Example of what I mean: in The Master, when Freddie gets fired from his job and then all of a sudden we see him farming. Every person I've watched it with has had a "wait, what? Did I miss something?"-type of reaction there. And I've long thought that Inherent Vice might have been more successful as a series than a movie, simply so we'd have enough time with all these countless characters that we'd know who's being talked about when they're mentioned later. Don't get me wrong, I adore both those movies, but they do feel too short for the stories they're telling.)

Anyway, this is just me hoping that, however long Licorice Pizza is, it's just the right length for the story they're telling.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

wilberfan

Trailer Frame Analysis.

Because we still have two months to go, and I woke up too early this morning, I just did a frame-by-frame analysis of the trailer. A lot of stuff I noticed this time.  You might have noticed some of these things, perhaps missed others. These are just my own personal stuff-I-missed-the-first-several-viewings.

(Please don't share this outside the forum.)

Robyn

You missed this one.

Spoiler: ShowHide

wilberfan