The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

rustinglass

Hey, I think that black guy to the imediate left of Cate is the guy who played Mané Galinha in City of God.... how cool!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

Quote from: rustinglassHey, I think that black guy to the imediate left of Cate is the guy who played Mané Galinha in City of God.... how cool!

Quote from: On Page 8, MacGuffinCinema em Cena reports that Brazilian actor and singer Seu Jorge ("City of God") has joined the Wes Anderson comedy playing a soccer-shirt wearing member of Bill Murray's crew, one who has a habit of singing Portugese versions of David Bowie songs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

modage

i LOVE this.  

of course when i go away for the week, the life aquatic trailer hits.  it seems once again to strike the perfect balance between being funny and touching.  this doesnt look like something the masses will be lining up to see, but who gives a shit, i'm sure it will do okay.  there is nobody more exciting to me working today than PT or WES anderson.  i am excited HUGELY.  :shock:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

hmm, i wonder if owen wilson's character hooks up with cate blanchett.. and if it's a major plot point.

*looks up*

oh shit.
under the paving stones.

Pedro

md

trailer looks really wide, whats the aspect ratio the film was shot in?  Is it the same his earlier films and what pta shoots. thanks
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Pubrick

Quote from: Pedro the Alpacadid you watch the trailer?
no, i just looked up.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

I liked the trailer, it was typical Wes Anderson it seemed, nothing slightly out of the ordinary than what youd expect. Seems a little more heartfelt of a film though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

Quote from: mdtrailer looks really wide, whats the aspect ratio the film was shot in?  Is it the same his earlier films and what pta shoots. thanks

I think bottle rocket was 1.85, while rushmore and royal tenenbaums were both 2:35 anamorphic aka super35?  I'm a little shaky on these film formats, but I know the aspect ratio is 2:35.  I think when you shoot super 35 you have to downconvert it to a viewable format or something, maybe matt35mm can explain it.

stefen: looks like a typical wes anderson film is a GOOD thing right?  you better say yes, or I'll fuck you in the face.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Quotestefen: looks like a typical wes anderson film is a GOOD thing right? you better say yes, or I'll fuck you in the face.

I may lie, just to get what I may/not want.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Redlum

Royal Tenenbaums was 2.40:1, Life Aquatic is probably the same.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Sal

Quirky stories from America's most exciting gang of filmmakers

BY JOE NEUMAIER

New York Daily News

Filmmakers have always thrived on a sense of community. Joined by sensibility or the cultural ferment of a particular time, they get grouped under unofficial banners like the British Kitchen Sink school, the French New Wave, the American Movie Brats or the Chinese Fifth Generation. The latest in-crowd of American writers and directors should be called the New Geek Wave.

"Geeky" best describes the often brilliant, invariably quirky and decidedly un-macho films made by David O. Russell, Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, Alexander Payne, Sofia Coppola, Spike Jonze, screenwriter Charlie Kaufman and actor-writer-producer Owen Wilson.

Three of them have films opening this fall: Russell's "I (Heart) Huckabees," Payne's "Sideways" and Wes Anderson's "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou." Coppola's "Lost in Translation" was the buzz movie of last fall, and the smartest film of this past spring was "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," a second collaboration between French-born Michel Gondry and Kaufman (whose "Being John Malkovich" and "Adaptation" scripts were directed by Jonze).

These are filmmakers who don't spend much time in Hollywood and are known for being offbeat.

"I guess we're between the indie world and mainstream films - but that's always been my area, the middle ground," says Russell, who worked as a political organizer and documentarian for nonprofit groups before directing "Spanking the Monkey" (1994), "Flirting With Disaster" (1996) and "Three Kings" (1999). He describes "I (Heart) Huckabees," starring Jason Schwartzman, Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, Naomi Watts and Jude Law, as "an existential love story.

"I'm neither fish nor fowl in terms of accessibility," Russell adds. "But that style echoes the movies of the '70s, which taught me about cinema. Those films were mainstream but came from a very introspective place."

"This new group is very much the spiritual descendents of the '70s mavericks," says Robert Evans, who as a studio chief and producer shepherded many of that era's most important films.

"They have an intellectual outlook similar to that of Peter Bogdanovich, Hal Ashby and Mike Nichols. Like that bunch, they're fresh, they emphasize story, and they love movies," Evans adds.

Wes Anderson, a former philosophy student from Texas whose first three films had a singular style, helped bring Bill Murray back into vogue with "Rushmore" and "The Royal Tenenbaums." Murray stars in "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou" as an oceanographer dealing with his dysfunctional family and colleagues; Owen Wilson co-stars.

"These (friends) are the only directors I know, but they're also making my favorite movies," Anderson says of the group. "We're all about the same age. When I met them five years ago, everyone was just getting to know each other."

But they know Hollywood may never "get" them.

"I don't know if I'm interested in being 'gotten,'" says Anderson. "But as for individualism, if someone's set on having a specific 'voice' in their work, it's a recipe for disaster. When it's organic, it may be less annoying."

modage

cool little article. i wish it had quotes from all involved.  the middle ground is probably my favorite place for movies/music etc.  not something totally weirdforweirdssake or something totally mainstream, but something just a little left of center that would be mainstream if people were cooler.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

Quote from: pete
Quote from: bonanzatazi've felt for about a year now that every song off of the "ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars" album could cut together really nicely in a trailer. i guess wes felt like proving me right...

what were the songs in the trailer?

there are two bowie songs in the trailer. one is "queen bitch" which is off of hunky dory, the other is "starman" from ziggy stardust. both great albums. if you don't have them already, get them.

btw, i'll be a boston kid tomorrow. yippee!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls