The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

meatwad

Quote from: pete
Quote from: bonanzatazi've felt for about a year now that every song off of the "ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars" album could cut together really nicely in a trailer. i guess wes felt like proving me right...

what were the songs in the trailer?

"Queen Bitch"....but that was on Hunky Dory, not Ziggy Stardust

The Perineum Falcon

"Swamp leeches! Everyone check for Swamp leeches!

I'm the only one that got hit?
What's the deal?!"

That's my favorite. :wink:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

I guess my buddies at the trusty yankee racers board answered my question:

not sure what the horrible techno music playing in steve's helmet is, but the rest of the music in the trailer is as follows:
from the shot where they all dive into the water to the scene where bill and owen are talking on the deck at night: "gut feeling" by devo.
from "a film by wes anderson" to bill murray's delightful delivery of the word "revenge": "ceremony" by new order.
from "this christmas" to the punch: "queen bitch" by bowie.
over the cast credits we get to hear bowie's "starman" played by seu jorge (and it's really, really good. maybe better than the original).
from the word "action" to the end, it's bowie's version of "starman".
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

A Wes Anderson film co-written by Noah Baumbach featuring Bowie songs.  Throw in Kate Winslet and a bunch of zombies and you have the perfect film for me.  Cate Blanchett and sharks will have to do, I suppose.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

And so with one little trickle, the influx of Life Aquatic avatars and sigs begins.

Sleuth

Quote from: peteIover the cast credits we get to hear bowie's "starman" played by seu jorge (and it's really, really good. maybe better than the original).

is this just for the movie?  is it online somewhere?  I want it bad, pete :oops:
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

I join the numbers of whoever wasn't overwhelmed by the trailer but thinks that the movie may just be too out there to sum up properly in a 2 1/2 minute advertisement. I lack no faith in Mr. Anderson.

I can't wait for the soundtrack. Anderson talked in EW about how he got Seu Jorge to cover quite a few Bowie tunes. It'll be beautiful.

Redlum

A little underwhelmed...yes. But this trailer just made my day.... :oops:

My favourite bit: "That's beautiful...I wonder what they're saying"
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

picolas

Quote from: Sleuth
Quote from: peteIover the cast credits we get to hear bowie's "starman" played by seu jorge (and it's really, really good. maybe better than the original).

is this just for the movie?  is it online somewhere?  I want it bad, pete :oops:
yeah, make that a 2nd bad wanting.. of it. link us up, linkers.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: SHAFTRxixax field trip on opening day.

Only if there's a Xixax bus

adolfwolfli

I was a bit disappointed by Royal Tennenbaums, and despite the genious of Rushmore, I almost feel like Bottle Rocket remains Wes's best film.  But I have to say, I think this trailer looks pretty good.  It seems like Wes has expanded and loosened up a bit (Tennenbaums seemed so stiff and contrived, as if the actors were afraid to move for fear of ruining the shots of obsessively detailed sets).  

This looks like it has some good slapstick, some explosions (those are always good), some animation, and a good idea at its core.  

I am looking forward to it.

cine

Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceOnly if there's a Xixax bus
The Ratnermobile.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: adolfwolfliI was a bit disappointed by Royal Tennenbaums.

Disappointed?  What else did you want to see in it?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye