The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

Captain of Industry

Quote from: polkablues on April 14, 2010, 04:11:12 PM
Quote from: bigideas on April 14, 2010, 02:53:13 PM
I guess the biggest question is - after you become an established 'arthouse' director how do you not fall into a rut by exploring similar themes and using similar camera work and actors, AND who would be the best example of someone who has not (other than PT as suggested)?

Aronofsky, maybe.

Gus Van Sant for sure.  I just rewatched Mala Noche, Drugstore Cowboy, My Own Private Idaho, Paranoid Park, and Milk, and what is significant about Van Sant is that he continues to explore some of the same people and themes while growing stylistically as an artist and filmmaker.  His vision has grown deeper, and so too have his characters.

Maybe the thing with Anderson is it's difficult to penetrate the external method and locate the internal journey.  Because I think it's there, but in a lot of ways his approach is distracting in evaluating the emotional trajectory.  Why I prefer his later films is because you can really start to sense the wounded ego battling between fantasy and reality, and he now plays emotions on a minor key compared to the grand gestures of his earlier films.  I'm talking about the emotions of his characters, not his camera.  And it's difficult not to confuse the two.

I feel more deeply connected to Zissou and the Darjeeling brothers than I do any of the Tenenbaums.  He uses the narrative material in these later films as a shorthand broadening of the emotional complexities of his characters - and I find them more married together, as P says, then in Tenenbaum, which seemed to juggle style and character.

Which is essentially what PT has begun to do as well, and why some critics refer to the modern brand of American filmmaking as solipsistic.  You can't extract a PT character and place her in another film - the character belongs to the film, and you can't know the character without experiencing the art of the film.  This is the same route Anderson has taken.

Alexandro

Personally, I don't mind when a particular director has a "style" and uses it over and over. That's an intrinsic value in most filmmakers. You know what you will get with Michael Mann for example, or Scorsese. They evolve, yes, but their fingerprints still hold the film together. Or Altman, or even PTA, who really has not changed THAT much, he just has chosen to flex different muscles depending on the story he's telling.

Wes Anderson is kind of like fellini, bergman or woody allen, but just like with those guys, you can express an opinion on wether one of their films worked or didn't. I don't think Wes Anderson "lost" anything or is victim of his own style or whatever, I think zissou and darjeeling are not very good films. I'm not being a hater just for being a hater, i OWN zissou man, I own the damn thing. I liked it back when I saw it on the big screen, and found and still find a lot to admire. Yet the film feels flat, it's all intentions and no real accomplishments. This is of course my personal opinion, but I found it to be trying to be funny and being unfunny, trying to be moving and being unmoving, trying to be all sorts of things and being none of them.

Back to the fellini and bergman and allen comparison, none of these guys were ever accused of having dried up their creative well by their fourth fucking movie, the reason being they were proving film after film, for DECADES, that they creative well was far from being dry. really, check out bergman's or fellini's first four film. check our allen's firs four films, those guys were stretching their shit by the minute AND making good movies that worked on their own merits, without being "a film by..."

And sorry New Feeling, but PTA has clearly shown himself to be a much more promising filmmaker than anyone else his age around in the last 15 years, Tarantino and Wes Anderson certainly included.

pete

I really think it's much simpler than that.  Wes's style had a wide appeal when it was first introduced, but then a majority of the people have lost interest, while Wes himself has not.  Then he works with Noah Bambauch who really has no interest in making accessible films - not in terms of sophistication, but just in terms of more universal stories.  His first three films were about capturing something more universal - loss of innocence and all that, but his latter three movies were much more specific and were asking the viewers to root for characters who were piled on with idiosyncrasies.
at the core of Wes Anderson's movies, all of his heroes were incredibly sad.  they were people who grieved privately, put on ridiculous personas for the world, and get ridiculed for failing to hide behind the forged identities.  for me, the melancholy never feels cheated; Wes seems to have based all of his heroes' actions around these feelings.  However, they could get convoluted and involved, and rob these emotions of their raw powers.  that's my defense of his style and his stories.  as boring as they have become for certain people, I'll dispute that they're empty or shallow.  I think his embracing of the privileged demographic is shallow and certainly not as interesting as woody allen or oscar wilde's works, but I really do find sincere melancholy in his work that remains very appealing to me.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

Yes I just have never accepted the idea that anderson's movies have suddenly "become" shallow, he's just too smart and too interesting as an artist for that. my beef with the films is not with the content or the ideas but with the execution which in my case develops into the frustrating experience of watching a comedy and find that every joke is miscalculated and poorly delivered, staged and edited. and I think that has a lot more to do with why people are tuning out from some of his films rather than their unlikeable characters, which has always been one of his strongest points.

mr. fox made me laugh a lot and had me smiling from start to finish and really that's all I needed to recover the faith. if he can still make them funny or moving he can keep doing the same shit for 40 years.

socketlevel

style is the composite of so many things. 90% of Wes Anderson's style i have no problem with and feel is as effective as it was the first time i saw bottle rocket.

we need to make that distinction because my gripe is with his art direction, i feel it robs attention away from the good stuff because it's so loud. all i see is art direction now. so i disagree with most of the posts that say 'same old same old' (even though i might have said that in the past), i think if Wes made a film with the same minimal art direction as with rushmore or bottle rocket I'd be way more into his films then i am currently.

the 'same old, same old' reaction i have would be referencing his work from life aquatic onward. the silly childlike art choices he made in rushmore came from the characters.  the crudeness to the art was cute because it was Max's version of the world (to a much lessor extent you could say this also exists in Royal T.). with his contemporary work the characters live within this art directed world, which is not explained anymore. it's almost like the newer films are the plays that max was putting on. the audience laughed at rushmore as an abstraction of the character's personality and playful approach to derivative fantasy. with the most recent wes anderson films the audience is laughing at the established world. Wes Anderson has become max fisher.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pas

Quote from: socketlevel on April 15, 2010, 04:56:55 PM
it's almost like the newer films are the plays that max was putting on. the audience laughed at rushmore as an abstraction of the character's personality and playful approach to derivative fantasy. with the most recent wes anderson films the audience is laughing at the established world. Wes Anderson has become max fisher.

:bravo: yep, that's pretty much it.

tpfkabi

i think if Wes made a film with the same minimal art direction as with rushmore or bottle rocket I'd be way more into his films then i am currently.

Wasn't a lot of this stripped away in Darjeeling?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

socketlevel

Quote from: bigideas on April 16, 2010, 10:00:03 AM
i think if Wes made a film with the same minimal art direction as with rushmore or bottle rocket I'd be way more into his films then i am currently.

Wasn't a lot of this stripped away in Darjeeling?

yes good point. just so you know i'm not back peddling i'mma quote a conversation from the mr. fox thread

Quote from: socketlevel on December 20, 2009, 07:44:37 PM
Quote from: Gamblour. on December 12, 2009, 09:42:42 AM
I absolutely loved this. Me and Wes had a falling out with Darjeeling,

Funny i had a falling out with life aquatic, and darjeeling i came back in the fold a bit.

and it was for this reason you state.

however, it can't be argued that even though stripped back it would be about on par with royal T. still not as minimal as rushmore or bottle rocket. it's sad but in the case with wes anderson, i might just like his stuff more when when he's on a tight budget. something he can't help (and probably hates) is ironically making a better movie by my tastes.
the one last hit that spent you...