The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin

damn, how would you like to wake up next to that

Quote from: Meatball
Like the Crayon Pony Fish, The Life Aquatic is a one trick pony that some people will love because "hey, look it's a crayon pony fish!" If you get off on that cute, kitschy stuff, more power to you.

"A deliberate and irritating absence of dramatic momentum is accompanied by delicious, often magical, moments. At the film festival Murray is given a plastic bag containing an exotic seahorse and when it begins to leak he snatches a champagne glass from a passing stranger, puts the fish into it and proceeds on his insouciant way. "
context, context, context.

watching this forum dead for a straight month would be too painful.

Kal

I saw it again the other day on DVD and I just love it... I dont get why some people hated it... you might have some problems with it... but Bill Murray is the best... and the movie is funny and very well done...

ono

Quote from: andykalI saw it again the other day on DVD
Since when have you had access to a time machine?

Kal

Quote from: ono mo cuishle
Quote from: andykalI saw it again the other day on DVD
Since when have you had access to a time machine?

I dont have the original released version... I have one of those screeners they send for awards show... I get most of the 'big-award-worthy' films. I'm not a member of the academy, but our investors put money on films and are constantly involved, so we get all the films :)

meatball

Wes' work is best viewed on the small screen.

SHAFTR

Quote from: MeatballWes' work is best viewed on the small screen.

I don't think that is true.  I think that his films benefit from repeat viewings, and for many that comes on the small screen.  But I think that his widescreen compositions benefit with the big screen.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Stefen

i thought this was okay when i first saw it, i was expecting more, but I think when I watch it on video it will be alot better, i do think his films are better on the small screen, i'll pick it up first day of release.

*when I was it was okay, i mean in a wes anderson way, meaning even an okay movie of his is better than most movies, so up against most movies, it's really good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

give it a time. it's not only his best film  ,it is the best film.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: flagpolespeciali've never shed a tear in a cinema during a wes film. this was the first time. just near the end.  

Me too! The end was not just part of the movie: it was a Moment.

Ravi

I was disappointed in this film.  I remember hearing negative things about it (haven't looked at this thread until today) but I just couldn't believe that a Wes Anderson film could let me down.  Maybe having expectations that high meant I was asking to be let down, but I was disappointed in the film.

SPOILERS

The idea of an underwater filmmaker whose films grow increasingly unpopular is a good one but I didn't like the plot of the film.  Somehow the characters never came to life for me.  I did like the opposites that Zissou (deep sea) and Plimpton (the skies) represented at the beginning, and that Murray unwittingly brings this guy down (a pilot buried at sea).  But the sort-of rivalry with Hennessey, the vying after Cate Blanchett (I didn't see why Zissou and Plimpton would be after her), the pirate attack (where did THAT come from?!) didn't work for me.

As with the other WA films, I admired the style.  The sequence with the camera peering into the various parts of the dissected boat was terrific.  I didn't have any problems with the animated sea creatures.  I thought they were a good fit for the artificiality of WA's films.

Life Aquatic isn't a bad film, and I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it as much as I like Rushmore, even with its flaws, or The Royal Tenenbaums.  Still, I may pick up the DVD if I find it cheap, just to keep up with the Criterion Wes Anderson discs.

ElPandaRoyal

My return to Xixax will be marked by a not so positive mark on one of my all time favourite filmmakers. Basically, I agree with what Ravi just wrote. However, I'm willing to go with my younger brother (who's 11 and already loves all the 3 previous Wes films) to the theatre and give it another shot. Goddamnit, I really wanted to love it, but I couldn't bring myself to it. Something must be wrong with me.
Si

modage

Quote from: ElPandaRoyalMy return to Xixax will be marked by a not so positive mark on one of my all time favourite filmmakers. Basically, I agree with what Ravi just wrote. However, I'm willing to go with my younger brother (who's 11 and already loves all the 3 previous Wes films) to the theatre and give it another shot. Goddamnit, I really wanted to love it, but I couldn't bring myself to it. Something must be wrong with me.
unfortunately nothings wrong with you, just the film.  and a second viewing does little to change that.   :(
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

Quote from: themodernage02unfortunately nothings wrong with you

:saywhat: