The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

modage

i havent watched it yet.  i just know that guy is in real life, normally an interviewer, not an actor.  he just played the part cause wes knew him and thats what he does in real life.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cowboykurtis

i think on the commentary it said hes a nyc prof as well
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

DVD Q&A: Wes Anderson
Source: Entertainment Weekly

The director who transformed Bill Murray into a Speedo-sporting action hero chats about The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou.

Life has pirates, explosions, chases -- are you now an action director?

Michael Bay does good action sequences. I do, um, odd action sequences. I may have invented a new genre.

This is your first movie without Owen Wilson as co-writer.

By The Royal Tenenbaums, Owen was kind of a movie star. On Life, [co-writer] Noah Baumbach was able to meet every day. I like somebody to talk with every day.

Why have an actor cover David Bowie songs in Portuguese?

I thought it would be funny for someone to sing to the crew. Any why not David Bowie songs? Then I made it an international "Benetton" crew, and it turned out one actor was also a pop star in Brazil. So it snowballed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Quote from: cowboykurtisi think on the commentary it said hes a nyc prof as well

He's also on the 8 1/2 Criterion as a commentator.

Pozer

Quote from: Ultrahip...i mean the mondo monda interview on life aquatic and the peter bradley one on royal tenenbaums. these interviews are some of the funniest things i've ever seen. i seriously almost fell off my chair during mondo monda.
Come on, really? It wasn't that funny.

The funniest part of the extras was during the behind the scenes doc when they were filming the helicopter crash, doing a bunch of takes and Wes kept wanting it different after each one. After one of the takes Wes says to Bill: "Delay the arm Bill, delay it for a second." Bill turns to Owen and says: "Can't do anything right with this guy...just can't."
Now that's ha-ha funny.

MacGuffin

Quote from: POZERThe funniest part of the extras was during the behind the scenes doc when they were filming the helicopter crash, doing a bunch of takes and Wes kept wanting it different after each one. After one of the takes Wes says to Bill: "Delay the arm Bill, delay it for a second." Bill turns to Owen and says: "Can't do anything right with this guy...just can't."
Now that's ha-ha funny.

Have you watched the easter egg on Disc 1? There's a four minute plus take of Murray trying on the shoes with Wes shouting different directions to him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ultrahip

that was good too, but the mondo monda thing, it's just noah baumbach's whole demeanor more than anything else. i just look at him and it cuts me right down the sides! he tells it like it is.

Pozer

Yeah, he is pretty good, Barry.

karmopolis

hello.  i have quick question, hopefully someone out there knows it- it's not that important or anything but, on the trailer to the Life Aquatic a song is played in the background, that isn't used in the movie.  the song is qued once the Wes Anderson credit pops up, it's sounds similar to the gut feeling devo track... i'm wondering what it is.. thanks in advance. sorry if this query was already answered.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

modage

which is track one on disc one of the album Substance.  and as Wes mentions on the commentary was originally planned to be used in the "Life On Mars" scene when Zissou learns Ned may be his son and walks along the boat.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cowboykurtis

After watching "This is an Adventure" I'll go out on a limb and say I do not think Bill Murray will work with Wes again.

Their working relationship by the end seemd far from symbiotic.

Many sources seem to give similar insight into Murrays growing frustration of Wes and his working methods. That documentary further soldified what I'd heard to be true. He did not look like a happy camper.
...your excuses are your own...

modage

thats funny, because i just wrote in the murray thread that i thought during the extras he seemed to be having a fine time compared to the stories of misery he's been telling.

socketlevel

Quote from: cowboykurtisAfter watching "This is an Adventure" I'll go out on a limb and say I do not think Bill Murray will work with Wes again.

Their working relationship by the end seemd far from symbiotic.

Many sources seem to give similar insight into Murrays growing frustration of Wes and his working methods. That documentary further soldified what I'd heard to be true. He did not look like a happy camper.

have his meathods gone worse?  if so then he should go back cause the films in the past were better anyway.

i'm interested, can you be more specific?

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Pozer

Lot of rolling of the eyes from Murray, him getting pissed with Wes wanting too many takes, things of that nature.
But I mean, it was a huge shoot under difficult circumstances. People are gonna get frustrated and on each other's nerves in those situations. especially with someone like Wes who sees something good, then wants to perfect it by trying many different ways.
In post interviews, he describes Bill as one of his favorite actors. I'm sure they'll work together again. Hopefully on something smaller.