The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

mutinyco

Lose what? I liked Tenenbaums. But Redux was a 6000 lb. gorilla. It's still the best movie of the last 25 years.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

doja

if this is a statement of personal preference, would you like a list of everything you're disregarding? but if you feel this is true empirically, you are incorrect.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

mutinyco

Yes, it's just Mutinyco. But yes, it's also a fact. In fact, an international poll by none other than Sight & Sound came to the same conclusion. I'm on no ledge.

But this is silly. This is Mr. Wes' forum. No need to take this thread on a detour.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

i dont think a new edit of a previously released film can count as a best film of the year, but i'm not Sight and Sound.  

yeah pete, i have to agree.  nobody does it for me like WES or PT.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

UncleJoey

http://www.ateaseweb.com/news/archive/001038.php

"Everything in its Right Place" might be included in the film's soundtrack. My favorite director, my favorite band - I am pleased.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Pubrick

ugh,. Vanilla Sky already claimed/ruined it.

next........
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: mutinycoLose what? I liked Tenenbaums. But Redux was a 6000 lb. gorilla. It's still the best movie of the last 25 years.

words of the wise. havent seen redux -- revisited the original cut a few weeks ago. breathtakingly astounding movie. now, i have been reluctant to watch redux, in the event that it was the result of coppola being bored and old and off his rocker -- his hands arent as steady with the scalpel as they used to be, if you know what I'm saying. are you suggesting that redux is superior to coppolas first pass?
...your excuses are your own...

UncleJoey

Quote from: Pubrickugh,. Vanilla Sky already claimed/ruined it.

next........

Who cares if it was used in Vanilla Sky? Nobody will remember that film in 20 years anyways. I think it's safe to say we won't be saying that about The Life Aquatic. It's a great song and I think this will be a great movie. That's all that matters.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

mutinyco

Quote from: cowboykurtisare you suggesting that redux is superior to coppolas first pass?

I would've kept the same opinion of the original as the best of the last several decades. But yeah, although I think there are some uneven elements in the Redux, there's just nothing else even remotely like it.

-St. Joe

pete

you still don't get it, dude.  That's like a girl says to a guy "you're the best guy who's ever lived" and you go "uh-hmm, excuse me, I believe that will be Gahndi."  And apocalypse now ain't even gahndi, not even with that extra hour of cinema.  was the best film of 2003 Aliens?

party foul.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mutinyco

Quote from: peteyou still don't get it, dude.  That's like a girl says to a guy "you're the best guy who's ever lived" and you go "uh-hmm, excuse me, I believe that will be Gahndi."  And apocalypse now ain't even gahndi, not even with that extra hour of cinema.  was the best film of 2003 Aliens?

party foul.

Can somebody please translate that into English?

-St. Joe

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: mutinyco
Quote from: peteyou still don't get it, dude.  That's like a girl says to a guy "you're the best guy who's ever lived" and you go "uh-hmm, excuse me, I believe that will be Gahndi."  And apocalypse now ain't even gahndi, not even with that extra hour of cinema.  was the best film of 2003 Aliens?

party foul.

Can somebody please translate that into English?
I think he's disagreeing with you.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

mutinyco

-St. Joe

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

judging from mixed reviews on AintItCoolNews,

this is like Margots play.

but thank the Gods of cinema for the Wes Anderson we love

For this will exceed more than a two week run