Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drenk

Quote from: wilberfan on October 19, 2021, 05:03:52 PM
Given his 'closeness' to Coop and Alana, it would not surprise me a bit if he wrote the film for them.

There's no reason to be coy. Alana said she received the script two years ago.
Ascension.

Pringle

Hmmm, you know guys, when it comes to a Paul Thomas Anderson movie I think I'm gonna go ahead and trust Paul Thomas Anderson.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wilberfan on October 19, 2021, 05:03:52 PM
Given his 'closeness' to Coop and Alana, it would not surprise me a bit if he wrote the film for them.

Well seeing as he sent her the script  and had alot of faith in her in guessing he probably did write it for her or knew she could do the part , same for Cooper no doubt.

He wouldn't set them up to fail like others have said before.

jviness02

You guys are overthinking all of this. 99.9% she's a high school student in the movie. A senior could definitely express they feel kinda weird hanging out with an underclassmen.

Rooty Poots

I just want to remind people just how old a lot of teens looked in the '70s. I recently looked at a senior yearbook from when I was in kindergarten, and the graduating class looked like they were in their 40s. (It was even worse than this example, which was just one of the first results for "1973 senior yearbook". To be fair, I cherry-picked this one since it was worse than some. BUT it's not worse than the seniors from my earlier-mentioned yearbook)

Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

wilberfan

Both Gary and Alana can drive--so Gary is likely at least 17. (I got my CA Learner's Permit at 16 1/2.)  I'm still trying to figure out why Alana is always driving the big truck--never Gary.)   

The trailer opens with Alana on campus, rolling her eyes at the 'kids' (which includes Gary).  Is it the first day of school?  Gary is shown to be the tallest 'kid' in almost every scene he's in--is that a function of hanging around with kids that are a grade or two younger?   Back then high school started in 10th Grade--so, 15-year-olds?   Alana is likely at least a senior for sure (why else would she be on campus?)--although maybe she graduated earlier that Spring/Summer--and has returned to campus on registration day for who-knows-what?  (She's holding a mirror and comb--but has no purse or anything.)   

I would be surprised if she was more than 20.   (Is she drinking anything potent inside the restaurant?)

Drenk

Maybe she's very bad at high school and has been stuck there for a decade.

https://twitter.com/miamivice2006/status/1442530464112201728

There are a lot of Ben Platt jokes about this, haha.
Ascension.

jviness02

Hollywood casts people in their 20s to play high school kids all of the time. No one outside of this thread is going to care. She looks young enough. Ben Platt's problem is he looks 45.

Yes

She really doesn't look 18 and the film is explicit in the age difference so people will care

wilberfan

Quote from: jviness02 on October 19, 2021, 11:44:54 PM
No one outside of this thread is going to care. She looks young enough.

There will be a few others, apparently.

https://twitter.com/s0ng_machine/status/1450546986520825860

Drill

Did everyone complain about Mark Wahlberg and Heather Graham playing high school students at the start of Boogie Nights?

Yes

Quote from: Drill on October 20, 2021, 12:53:17 AM
Did everyone complain about Mark Wahlberg and Heather Graham playing high school students at the start of Boogie Nights?

I think people accepted it because Boogie Nights takes places over years until they're adults. Licorice Pizza is, like, a year?

itwasgood

Yes

I still think he's trolling but just in case... check the LP Twitter account around 1159am EST during the next few weeks

Alethia

Quote from: Rooty Poots on October 19, 2021, 08:45:56 PM
I just want to remind people just how old a lot of teens looked in the '70s. I recently looked at a senior yearbook from when I was in kindergarten, and the graduating class looked like they were in their 40s. (It was even worse than this example, which was just one of the first results for "1973 senior yearbook". To be fair, I cherry-picked this one since it was worse than some. BUT it's not worse than the seniors from my earlier-mentioned yearbook)

I'm thinking they all spent time on a certain beach....