Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Montclair

Quote from: wilberfan on November 26, 2021, 12:30:19 PM
Now that the marketing campaign is in full swing (and will probably amp-up even more as we get deeper into December--is there anyone that would like some of this slice of crow that I've been served for insisting that Gary was 17, "...because he's seen driving..."?  There was a lot of hand-wringing about the lack of marketing as recently as just a few weeks ago.   :wink:

I tease--but a a good reminder that Paul's probably earned our benefit-of-the-doubt by now.

Wait for the January box office to be proven absolutely wrong on this one. Mark my words.

Alethia

WorldForgot

wilberfan has better photos of this photo booth installation, I believe.

PaulElroy35

wilberfan

Quote from: WorldForgot on November 26, 2021, 06:19:20 PM
wilberfan has better photos of this photo booth installation, I believe.

Why, I do indeed.

Really nice running into worldforgot and strandedwriter again!   (Someone said modage was in the house, too, but there was no time to look for him...)

To get things off to a rip-snortin' start, Paul snuck up to the front and said a few words of introduction.  (I enjoyed the gasps when he said.  "Hi.  Welcome.  Thanks for coming out today.  My name is Paul, and I wrote and directed the movie..."  Those of us up front (I was hangin' with my Xixax'ers who were in Row C) recognized him immediately, so his self-introduction alerted the rest of the house.)  The usual stuff about the great old theater we were in, putting our phones away, asking us to help clean our areas after, as they got started late (vax & ID check) and they'll have to clean the house before the next show.  (I picked up trash, some redvines, and helped kick all the seat back up.)

For some reason my even-numbered viewings have been way better than my odds.  Number One was frantic and swirly and overwhelming. #2 was awesome; I could relax into it and was with a close friend.  #3 last week was...sedate (small crowd that didn't laugh much) and I checked my watch a couple of times because it was dragging for me.   Today's #4?  The best yet.  Shear fucking exhilaration for me when the lights came up at the end.

I'm sure this viewing was boosted by a sold-out (?) audience (probably 90%+ full)--who 'got' the film completely.  Laughter clear thru--even, yes, at the 'problematic' parts.  Big ovation at the end...   I noticed the single biggest sustained laughs in the film were the scenes with Alana's Dad.  (Another star is born.)

I will let WF share (if he wants to) what he saw Paul and Pearl do in the lobby before the lights went down.

wilberfan

wilberfan

Box Office: 'Encanto' Struggles With $11M Friday As 'Licorice Pizza' Soars

QuoteIn better news, Paul Thomas Anderson's delightful Licorice Pizza debuted in four locations yesterday, playing in single-theater 70mm film engagements to what can only be described as pre-Covid results. The acclaimed coming-of-age period piece, about a teenage entrepreneur (Cooper Hoffman, the son of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman) who falls for and befriends a comparatively aimless 25-year old (Alana Haim), earned a smashing $141,000 yesterday, setting the stage for a $335,000 opening weekend. That'll give the R-rated (but unexpectedly wholesome) dramedy a boffo $83,800 per-theater average. That's the biggest per-theater gross since Adam Sander's Uncut Gems grossed $537,242 in five theaters in December 2019. It's well below the $147k per-theater debut (in five locations) of The Master in 2012 but better than the $31k per-theater four-theater launch (during a $527,840 seven-day debut) of The Phantom Thread in 2017.

This doesn't necessarily mean the $40 million-budgeted Licorice Pizza, which has no star power (Bradley Cooper is but a cameo and I'm guessing Haim isn't as big of a draw as Lady Gaga or Harry Styles), will become a full-on mainstream hit when it goes wide on Christmas. However, it's a hell of a debut for what is essentially "Oh, it's the latest Paul Anderson flick!" that would have impressed me even in non-Covid times. It's nearly triple the likes of C'mon, C'mon and The French Dispatch in terms of per-theater averages. There's been a lot of chatter about the apparent death of the platform release, partially due to the Arclight closures. However, studios might not want to give up on the idea, at least if they want at least one week of positive box office coverage.

PaulElroy35

With these extra showings being announced is there any news on if there will be any london showings in the next few weeks?

Fitzroy

Quote from: PaulElroy35 on November 28, 2021, 12:36:28 PM
With these extra showings being announced is there any news on if there will be any london showings in the next few weeks?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Prince Charles Cinema had a screening this side of Christmas. I caught IV there (with Paul in attendance) at a special screening ahead of its release and I think they did something similar with PT as well.

wilberfan

Thought I'd post this here for posterity.

'Licorice Pizza': Paul Thomas Anderson Opens Up About Racist Asian Gag – 'You Have to Be Honest to That Time'

QuoteThe New York Times talked with Anderson about Licorice Pizza. The filmmaker explained how the movie's romance doesn't have a single provocative bone in its body, even despite Alana and Gary's age difference. However, the interviewer pointed out that the offensive Licorice Pizza Asian gag is a rather provocative element.

"Well, that's different," Anderson said. "I think it would be a mistake to tell a period film through the eyes of 2021. You can't have a crystal ball, you have to be honest to that time. Not that it wouldn't happen right now, by the way."

Anderson explained his real-life experiences witnessing Asian racism within his own family. He doesn't agree with the offensive gag necessarily, but he does see it necessary to include the ugly portions of his memory as it relates to race and class.

"My mother-in-law's Japanese and my father-in-law is white, so seeing people speak English to her with a Japanese accent is something that happens all the time," Anderson said. "I don't think they even know they're doing it."

QuoteLicorice Pizza is the type of movie that could get some awards attention. However, Anderson fans will continue to love the film, regardless of its awards chances. It has a very high replay value that's sure to hold up on repeat viewings. Many fans are willing to move past the racist Asian gag, but others aren't.

md

Copy from what I posted on Reddit:

Huge PTA fan here. Life is just better when he's making or releasing a movie.

Throughout some of his films there are weird angsty/fetishy Asian Vibes, as in, maybe he had the hots for Asian girls growing up or just didn't understand Asian culture at all so he naturally mocked what he didn't understand. Here are some examples:

Yearbook caption says he was in the Yoko Ono Fan Club

Kinda weird, but ok.

Boogie nights: There is this funny but strange karate obsession. The line when Al Molina says "He's Chinese" is really funny and perfect for the scene, but wouldn't fly in today's climate. And this photos of an Asian man in Dirks room is just oddly placed...like why? (https://imgur.com/a/vAz2rIL)

Magnolia: Asian Dentist. Thumbs up PTA!

PDL: Hawaiian Love (not technically asian). Thumbs up dude!

There Will Be Blood: Pretty sure there is a scene written in a version of the script where Daniel or someone kills an Asian dude?

The Master: Kills an Asian dude

Inherent Vice: The Cook scene is kind of funny, but again, at the Asian dude's expense and not really even necessary outside of the gag.

So yeah...at least the man is consistent. Probably rubbed off on him from his pops who was a Navy vet fighting Japan? Who knows...
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

WorldForgot

Pretty sure that's Bruce Lee and Dirk probably thinks he kicks ass cuz he reputedly did.

Jeremy Blackman

Interesting. It does seem like Asian stereotypes and all-out racism have been pretty widely tolerated and accepted until somewhat recently. I recall all kinds of awful stuff from my childhood that everyone laughed at; Asians were seen as objectively funny.

It wasn't even that long ago that we grappled with Apu from The Simpsons. (Not to pat myself on the back and give myself a woke award, but Apu was one of the things that turned me off from The Simpsons when I was first exposed to the show.)

md

Maybe that's Bruce Lee or supposed to be Bruce Lee...and it would make sense considering how idolized he was in the 70's , but I'm almost certain it isn't.  That photo feels a bit of a caricature..  Not trying to throw shade his way because I love the man, just pointing out some trends.  He was kind enough to sign this dvd for us...remember?  https://imgur.com/a/XwkMSYv
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche