Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

PaulElroy35

Quote from: WorldForgot on November 22, 2021, 11:20:27 AM
Matt, a bad-faith reading of anyone's posts won't be of use to any discussion or insights. Let's all please be respectful to differing perspectives and not lump our assumptions-of-stubbornness onto other users unless they're rousing up troll posts and not just interpreting works.

If you peruse Drenk's post history you won't find them to be the type to want to dislike a film and especially not one of PTA'z

Thats fair but also look at how drenk is talking about this whole age gap thing and the fact they are making it out to be worse than it is. Im not attacking them but to act like drenk isnt making this more of an issue than it is is pretty ignorant dont you think?

wilberfan

If anyone needs a palate cleanser.

REVIEW: LICORICE PIZZA is this year's best film

Paul Thomas Anderson's latest sets the highest possible bar for cinema in 2021

:yabbse-grin:

[edit]  And, just because we're discussing it (and might be forever),

This isn't really a typical love story, and I'm not even sure love is the right word to use here.
Spoiler: ShowHide
 Gary, a 15 year old, is infatuated with Alana, a 25 year old (supposedly), and they form a very intense bond that is a little more than platonic, but never quite romantic.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Mattbish19 on November 22, 2021, 11:37:26 AM
Quote from: WorldForgot on November 22, 2021, 11:20:27 AM
Matt, a bad-faith reading of anyone's posts won't be of use to any discussion or insights. Let's all please be respectful to differing perspectives and not lump our assumptions-of-stubbornness onto other users unless they're rousing up troll posts and not just interpreting works.

If you peruse Drenk's post history you won't find them to be the type to want to dislike a film and especially not one of PTA'z

Thats fair but also look at how drenk is talking about this whole age gap thing and the fact they are making it out to be worse than it is. Im not attacking them but to act like drenk isnt making this more of an issue than it is is pretty ignorant dont you think?

I dont think he's being OD on it, but also I've read his posts longer than I've been postin'  :yabbse-smiley: If you end up holding an opinion as strongly, we won't hold it against you. That ought to be how it swings for all of us.

wilberfan

I love that they're goin' Full Nerd 70 during the limited release.  Just a little extra juice for the faithful. 

Rooty Poots

Can we circle back to the movie's mention of land acknowledgments for a second? It was Jon Peters who makes the land acknowledgment, right? Question: does it play like a joke? The reason I ask is, with Fiona's last album, she made it a point to make land acknowledgments on her album cover and liner notes, and one of the on-screen interviews she did was with Democracy Now—which she only did with the agreement that they also bring on Eryn Wise, co-founder of Seeding Sovereignty—where she discussed land acknowledgments and urged other artists to make them as well. So, I wonder if PTA was making a meta-reference there?
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

WorldForgot

It's a throwaway line that's so easy to miss most people might not hear it or know what Jon Peters is referring to.

Drenk

I know Pynchon in IV talks about land appropriation in LA, but I'm not sure Joanna Newsom mentions it in the movie? There's the very ominous painting in the restaurant: a cowboy? Anyway, the painting made me think of « stealing land ».
Ascension.

Alethia

Quote from: Drenk on November 22, 2021, 01:11:30 PM
I know Pynchon in IV talks about land appropriation in LA, but I'm not sure Joanna Newsom mentions it in the movie?

"Long, sad history of L.A. land use -- Mexican families bounced out of Chavez Ravine to build Dodger Stadium, American Indians swept out of Bunker Hill for the Music Center and now Tariq's neighborhood bulldozed aside for Channel View Estates..."

Derekk_kal

Quote from: eward on November 22, 2021, 01:22:08 PM
I know Pynchon in IV talks about land appropriation in LA, but I'm not sure Joanna Newsom mentions it in the movie?

"Long, sad history of L.A. land use -- Mexican families bounced out of Chavez Ravine to build Dodger Stadium, American Indians swept out of Bunker Hill for the Music Center and now Tariq's neighborhood bulldozed aside for Channel View Estates..."
That's right baby! And the following sequence is an all timer. Just pure bliss  :yabbse-grin:

Montclair

Quote from: Derekk_kal on November 22, 2021, 01:56:49 PM

That's right baby! And the following sequence is an all timer. Just pure bliss  :yabbse-grin:

d

That LP pinbll machine will make nice memorabilia. Am I the only one who would kill to have it in my living room?
https://twitter.com/licoricepizza/status/1462873546149924867

Derekk_kal

Quote from: Montclair on November 22, 2021, 02:23:26 PM
Quote from: Derekk_kal on November 22, 2021, 01:56:49 PM

If LP has any one scene close to this level of visual-music-thematic marriage, then I would be the happiest guy. Any LP prewatchers can attest to this? :yabbse-grin:

WorldForgot

Derekk_kal

Quote from: WorldForgot on November 22, 2021, 02:32:38 PM
You're in for a meal.

Ok I don't think personally PTA can top IV (the Pynchon effect) but excited regardless.