Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

PaulElroy35

Theres people on Twitter who think the films anti-jew apparently  haha

Drenk

Quote from: PaulElroy35 on December 11, 2021, 01:00:56 PM

Why do you have four Twitter accounts to harass people who criticize the movie, by the way?

How old are you?
Ascension.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Drenk on December 11, 2021, 01:21:43 PM
Quote from: PaulElroy35 on December 11, 2021, 01:00:56 PM

Why do you have four Twitter accounts to harass people who criticize the movie, by the way?

How old are you?

I havnt criticized anyone for DISLIKING the film but the people dragging the film through the mud because of the age gap thing and the jokes in the movie need to be called out on that shit. Plus i only have 1 account.

Drenk

That's one App. Multiple accounts.

Stop that shit.
Ascension.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Drenk on December 11, 2021, 01:40:27 PM
That's one App. Multiple accounts.

Stop that shit.

Just the one.i mean I'll stop if I'm not aloud to call out dipshits on there I guess  :ponder:

Drenk

The official French synopsis says « two teenagers », by the way.
Ascension.

wilberfan

'Licorice Pizza' Slashes Christmas Dates in Smart Strategy, but for Indies It's Painful
TLC for PTA: Scheduled for 2000 screens, it's now booked for 800 or less. The new strategy suggests long-term faith in the film.

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson's "Licorice Pizza," previously projected to expand on Christmas Day to around 2,000 theaters, will now open at fewer than half. United Artists informed hundreds of theaters this week, including many independents, that availability would be delayed.

The film spent its first two weeks in only four New York/Los Angeles theaters and showed the best limited performer since "1917" in 2019. It dropped only 22 percent in its second weekend, which attests to strong word of mouth. Even more significant is its draw for audiences under 35, unusual for a late year awards-appeal release.

Why the last-minute switch? UA president of distribution Erik Lomis is away from his office on a family matter and was unavailable for comment, but precedent for both this director's films and other top awards contenders suggests this move represents faith in the film.

In the past decade, leading awards contenders that platformed on or around Thanksgiving usually expanded over Christmas — but nothing like 2,000 dates. Films like "The Favourite," "The Darkest Hour," "The Shape of Water," "La La Land," "Imitation Game," and "Silver Linings Playbook" played between 734 and 943 theaters Christmas week, then expanded later. That's the revised range for "Pizza."

QuoteThe initial 2,000-theater break, apart from being unusual, suggested rolling the dice and going out the widest during the brief but intense holiday period. That was a do-or-die strategy; it meant if audiences didn't respond, it could be the end of the road. This suggests not only that the film still needs careful handling even after its strong debut, but also that the potential could be maximized by moving more slowly.

The delayed expansion hurts some exhibitors initially, but it reinforces the sense that "Pizza" will have an unusually long theater-exclusive play. It could make sense to maintain that for 75 days or more — at least until the Oscar nominations come out on February 8. SAG-AFTRA and other guild citations could boost interest. Keeping it on screen during this period is more likely with a slower rollout.

That's small consolation to theaters that counted on the film in two weeks, but this longer-term strategy — for once — favors the exhibitors.

Yes

That sucks hard. Going to be very difficult for me to see it now. Goddamn it.

the Cinemark close to me surely isn't getting it now. Good thing Spiderman will be on 6 screens alongside another dumb Kingsman movie

Drenk

The Golden Globes are dead. Let's hope the Oscars will be gone soon.
Ascension.

wilberfan

It's weird to admit this to myself, but I wouldn't miss them if they went away...

Rooty Poots

Quote from: wilberfan on December 11, 2021, 06:55:52 PM
It's weird to admit this to myself, but I wouldn't miss them if they went away...

I wouldn't miss the Oscars or their ceremony, but I'd miss the concept of an Award Show To Rule All Award Shows (despite the fact that they get it wrong more often than they get it right, perhaps).
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drenk

The question is: does a movie like Licorice Pizza exists because some executives want to push it for some Oscars? Does it sound insane? Yes. Is it possible? Maybe. I'm still shocked that it costed forty millions dollars. In this economy! In this pandemic!
Ascension.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Drenk on December 12, 2021, 07:24:17 AM
The question is: does a movie like Licorice Pizza exists because some executives want to push it for some Oscars? Does it sound insane? Yes. Is it possible? Maybe. I'm still shocked that it costed forty millions dollars. In this economy! In this pandemic!

I bet the initial budget was considerably less (````````````````about 25 million, perhaps?) and it was increased due to the precautions (note that there was no vaccine when it was filmed and the industry was still uncertain and wary).

But since I learned that PTA initially wanted this to be a summer release and it was the executives who more or less persisted to give it an awards run, I've been thinking about it very often lately.
Could this be the "price" for funding the project and completely trusting him to make whatever movie he wants?
MGM is really pushing this for the time being (FYC screenings, advertising, theatrical run and release strategy etc) so I'm not complaining. Plus both sides seem satisfied so it is promising to think that he finally settled after so many studio shifts.