Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Montclair

I hate the fact that a lot of the news on this movie is for Asian Activists groups demanding a boycott of it. Unless you're really into filmmaking then that might be the first time you hear about this movie and that really sucks.

tomthiel57

Living in France, just got my vinyl of the soundtrack today ! And I've got the typo with "Ley me roll it"  :-D

Drenk

I've got a friend who bought the CD. I thought it was a vinyl exclusive!

It's definitely a choice to go with that ad:

https://twitter.com/licoricepizza/status/1476236575184936965
Ascension.

RudyBlatnoyd

Finally saw the movie. Those who said that LP was PTA returning to a more 'mainstream' style of filmmaking greatly exaggerated! Ain't nobody making strange flicks like this except him, and I imagine it will leave as many cold as it enthrals.

Anyway, good movie. Possibly very good, probably needs a rewatch to decide.

Yes

Yeah lol. It's obviously not The Master or Punch-Drunk Love but even "accessible" PTA is...not fairly accessible.

I wouldn't even say it's his broadest either? Just feels like a PTA movie!

No knock on the film which I adore. Just funny this is supposed to be the mainstream one, the one that can finally get him an Oscar and please crowds. But this is the guy whose idea of a studio hit was Punch-Drunk Love

Would love to finally see him win an Oscar, though! Whether it's an irrelevant award or not. And hopefully the box office can at least get to 10-20m

Tdog

So, in a sudden twist of fate it seems 2 Dublin cinemas are showing it in 35mm already. Going tomorrow morning!

RudyBlatnoyd

Spoiler: ShowHide
I actually think that LP might seem more baffling to some 'ordinary' filmgoers than something like The Master. That film at least had some recognisable 'big' themes to latch onto – i.e. organised religion, post-WWII trauma – and the topical interest represented by Scientology. What plot there is in LP largely revolves around selling waterbeds...

Tdog

Well I saw it this morning in 35mm. Looked beautiful. Cooper and Alana were both fantastic, major charisma from both of them, Cooper especially.

As for the movie, like all PTA movies, I really need to see it again to come to a more concrete conclusion about it.
The "relationship" felt more like a deep friendship and business relationship to me rather than a romance; Gary was the ideas man and Alana helped get things done.

wilberfan

If you look really closely, you can't see me standing just out of frame in the upper-left corner.   :yabbse-cool:

jviness02

wilberfan

jviness02

Quote from: wilberfan on December 30, 2021, 01:00:44 PM
Cool.  Where did we learn this...?

I saw it tweeted out, but now I'm questioning the source.