Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Find Your Magali

Will not watch on YouTube or anywhere else unauthorized.
But I think it's fair to say the theater-exclusivity has probably run its useful course.

RudyBlatnoyd

Perhaps the online trailer – when it materialises – will be different to the one showing in 35mm i.e. alternative footage and soundtrack?

A bit like Christopher Nolan having teasers and preview scenes that he only shows in Imax theatres. That might be where PTA got the idea from.

nomorecoffee

Quote from: jviness02 on September 23, 2021, 09:31:19 AM
I love Boogie Nights and Magnolia, but I prefer his new style. We've seen plenty of Scorsese and Altman imitations that suck, so PTA definitely brings something to the table with those films that give them their richness, but I've never watched those films thinking "no one else could do this". I thought that about every film post-Magnolia. I'd rather get work that only he can deliver.

That's just one man's opinion.

Although I recognize the superiority of his latest works it's funny because I always watched Magnolia thinking "no one else could do this".

itwasgood

https://variety.com/feature/2022-oscars-best-original-score-predictions-1235072002/

Variety's award prediction article said that Jonny did the original score for Licorice Pizza.

csage97

Quote from: itwasgood on September 23, 2021, 01:10:47 PM
https://variety.com/feature/2022-oscars-best-original-score-predictions-1235072002/

Variety's award prediction article said that Jonny did the original score for Licorice Pizza.

Oh, that's good news to me.

nomorecoffee

So we can consider this official?

Drenk

Ascension.

PaulElroy35

People just guessing at the moment.

Pta and johnny together is always great though but i would love some needle drops in this.

Drenk

Ascension.

d

Don't know how credible Variety is with stuff like that but at the same time it's hard for me to imagine that they based it on that rumor which was based on what? That one interview with Greenwood which suggested exactly the opposite? But maybe I am naive.

I think I expressed it here before but honestly I do not know how I feel about Jonny winning an Oscar for non-PTA work. I wish him all the best, love his work and he seems genuinely a nice person, obvious overdue for an Oscar but would love him to win for PTA score. Winning for Spencer or The Power of the Dog will be, if I understand how Oscars work, partly in recognition of his "achievements" in the industry in the last twenty or so years, which is in huge part the collaboration with PTA, which will be bitter-sweet. Am I the only one who thinks that way?

Quote from: jviness02 on September 23, 2021, 09:31:19 AM
I love Boogie Nights and Magnolia, but I prefer his new style. I'd rather get work that only he can deliver.
That I agree with...
Quote from: nomorecoffee on September 23, 2021, 12:54:33 PM
Although I recognize the superiority of his latest works it's funny because I always watched Magnolia thinking "no one else could do this".
But that is also true.

I do not want him to make another Boogie Nights. But I think it's obviously a great movie and it has some qualities that are unique to him. For me these are mainly the humor and the kind of cockiness (no pun intended) and arrogance I like in PTA. Magnolia is a bit different story but it still seems not that unique as PDL, TWBB and especially The Master.

Find Your Magali

Greenwood deserves an Oscar the same way Brion deserves an Oscar IMO. (Brion couldn't even get a nomination for Lady Bird, which is a crime)

I honestly don't much care how they win one. 

Jeremy Blackman

Jonny was specifically asked about his latest work and PTA collaborations in that interview. He responded candidly but did NOT mention Soggy/LP. It would be very strange to then find out he did the score after all. Maybe they're setting up a big reveal, but that would be very strange too.

Heisenberg

I wonder if HAIM did some original songs for this like Aimee Mann did for Magnolia 🤔

wilberfan

Alethia

That'd be cool. I don't get the general ambivalence toward their music, I dig it.