Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

itwasgood

Quote from: Shughes on September 26, 2021, 07:54:12 AM
Quote from: ono on September 26, 2021, 12:31:31 AM
Good chance... Unless Haim and Penn have that kind of relationship.

Do we know that Penn isn't actually playing her dad? There's nothing in the trailer to suggest he isn't.

Spoiler: ShowHide
There's a scene in the first ten seconds or so in the trailer where Alana got upset in her bedroom after being scolded by an older man, that's supposed to be her dad, I think.

wilberfan

Quote from: itwasgood on September 26, 2021, 09:24:53 AM

There's a scene in the first ten seconds or so in the trailer where Alana got upset in her bedroom after being scolded by an older man, that's supposed to be her dad, I think.

Exactly. Which also matches the lyric in "Mars"at that point. "And her daddy has told her to go."

Pringle

I like that her Dad has an Armenian accent. That is as true to the Valley as it gets.

Pringle

Also, if I saw a father and adult daughter cuddling up to each other the way these two do in the restaurant booth in the trailer, I would be disgusted

pynchonikon

Quote from: Pringle on September 26, 2021, 10:47:46 AM
Also, if I saw a father and adult daughter cuddling up to each other the way these two do in the restaurant booth in the trailer, I would be disgusted

Personally what disgusts me is the idea of a potential love triangle between a virgin high-schooler, a young lady/ex-flower girl and a 60-sth old man as a plot device :lol:

Except if I wanna see a certain type of movies that Paul honored 25 years ago.

(And in the restaurant, she clearly wants to tease Gary. Plus she's maybe drunk.)

Robyn

So Sean Penn is playing himself?

I was listening to a Swedish podcast where they were talking about their journalist friend who had meet Sean Penn once. Apperently, during their meeting he put down a whiskey bottle on the table and said "Now we're going to my hotel room to have sex"

wilberfan

Quote from: Pringle on September 26, 2021, 10:42:32 AM
I like that her Dad has an Armenian accent. That is as true to the Valley as it gets.

(It's not Armenian.)  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:

d

This is probably pointless speculations AND I have not seen the trailer (the first say 24-48 hours after a leak were even more painful than a few days after first reports on 35 mm screenings but now I am fine, kind of), so you may as well ignore the following but as I understand there are basically at least three possible (?) scenarios:
a) this love triangle is not what it seems,
b) it is what it seems, maybe "justified" by what happens/happened in the past in the industry,
c) it is even more than it seems, on purpose and PTA is trolling all those critics who have criticized his male characters, including Woodcock.

Personally, I hope a) is somehow true, unless obviously PTA plays b) or c) smart enough to escape criticism within the movie, without the need to explain himself in interviews. Given Penn's reputation b) and c) seem risky but it would be unwise to rule out the posssibility they may be interesting or even exciting.

Bottom line: I hope it's either interesting enough and worth risking inevitable criticism or it is not what it seems, which should be interesting as well.

Pringle

Anytime he casts a big "star" (Reynolds, Cruise, Sandler) it does seem like there is an intentional meta layer that plays off of/into their public persona

Shughes

Alana Haim is 29. So while she's old enough to be Penn's daughter, both are adults. Also this kind of relationship would not be shocking in the context of the setting/time period.

As for the Cooper/Alana "relationship", I think we're just used to seeing high-schoolers lusting after women out of their bracket in films. Strangely if genders were reversed it would be more problematic - an older male character flashing a young girl would just feel horrible. It's a strange double standard that exists.

Spoilers for Mid90's - there's a great scene in that film depicting a sexual coming of age moment (so to speak), involving an older girl and younger boy. I have one friend who struggles with the whole film because of that scene - he calls it a rape scene. Personally I think the scene is beautiful and touching.

There's also the fact that characters don't have to live perfect lives and what certain people may find unacceptable or wrong may well be justified in the context of a story.

wilberfan

We've come a long way, baby.

Who had Sept 27th in the office pool?

pynchonikon

nomorecoffee

I'm getting a little emotional.  This is getting real..............

Alma