Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Robyn

^yup

There's something about this one that seems perfect to me right now. I'm so glad he made a film in this tone and style.

I mean I watched it 30 minutes ago and I have already gotten a new hair cut and flushed down the booze. I'm a changed man.

nomorecoffee

Feels like the perfect movie to hang on after all this CRAP everybody's been through in the last couple years

d

1:33 may be my favourite/most promising shot - with the night street seen from inside the campaign (?) office
1:58 is home movie, Dirk Diggler-style, right? Which kind of worry me as I never liked the inserts in Boogie
cinematography already looks better than Phantom Thread, I really like the textures, the colours, the silhouettes, the wide shots, the tracking shots
Bowie - cool he used such powerful song but matching the lyrics with what we see seems a bit cheesy
like the overall feel-good/nostalgic vibe but hope the story is not as obvious as it seems

Will we have to wait another weeks, before they confirm composer, editor etc.?

wilberfan

Wow. The last 10 seconds of the trailer did not register with me for some reason when I saw it in the theater--and it's missing from the bootleg. 

Part of the reason I may have missed it was because of my deep sobbing.  I literally burst into tears in the theater when the chorus of "Mars" kicked-in.

lawavaca

I spot Mary Elizabeth Ellis at 1:10 right after Alana slaps Cooper.

Find Your Magali

Very emotional.
Very glad I waited.
Wow.

WorldForgot

Quote from: lawavaca on September 27, 2021, 11:02:56 AM

Same! As Cooper's mother, I'm assuming? Sort of an Inherent Vice-balanced composition, like from the pipeline pizza joint.

lawavaca

Also at 1:52 it's not Alana Haim who slams into the glass door like I think many of us might have thought, but I do think that's her reflection looking over as it happens.

wilberfan

Quote from: WorldForgot on September 27, 2021, 11:04:58 AM
Quote from: lawavaca on September 27, 2021, 11:02:56 AM

Same! As Cooper's mother, I'm assuming? Sort of an Inherent Vice-balanced composition, like from the pipeline pizza joint.

From the bootleg, that looked like a card game--it's just lunch!  Gary is counting out dollars, tho.

d

Quote"Licorice Pizza" is the story of Alana Kane and Gary Valentine growing up, running around and falling in love in the San Fernando Valley, 1973. Written and Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film tracks the treacherous navigation of first love.

Source: http://licoricepizza.movie/

Does it count as official synopsis?

So proud of myself and happy that I've waited for the official release and stayed away from the leaked one.

itwasgood

Finally I love it in higher quality much better!!! And the poster!!! Alana!!! Cooper!!!! This is awesome.

Alma

I need the t-shirt Alana is wearing in the poster.

wilberfan

Quote from: d on September 27, 2021, 11:11:05 AM
Quote"Licorice Pizza" is the story of Alana Kane and Gary Valentine growing up, running around and falling in love in the San Fernando Valley, 1973. Written and Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film tracks the treacherous navigation of first love.

Source: http://licoricepizza.movie/

Does it count as official synopsis?

I would say so.   And I thought these credits were interesting:

Executive Producers
Joanne Sellar
Daniel Lupi
Susan McNamara
Aaron L. Gilbert
Jason Cloth

Produced by
Sara Murphy
Paul Thomas Anderson
Adam Somner

Not sure how "Executive" vs "Producer" works.  Thoughts?

wilberfan

Quote from: lawavaca on September 27, 2021, 11:07:14 AM
Also at 1:52 it's not Alana Haim who slams into the glass door like I think many of us might have thought, but I do think that's her reflection looking over as it happens.

You're right!  And Carol Burnett on the tube.

wilberfan

Quote from: d on September 27, 2021, 10:58:08 AM
1:58 is home movie, Dirk Diggler-style, right? Which kind of worry me as I never liked the inserts in Boogie

A close look reveals
Spoiler: ShowHide
they're filming a TV commercial.  With Gary's name listed as director.