Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

wilberfan

I wonder if Coops knew that slap was coming?  He flinches quite convincingly--and Alana really unloads on him.

Pringle

Quote from: wilberfan on September 27, 2021, 11:14:02 AM
Quote from: d on September 27, 2021, 11:11:05 AM
Quote"Licorice Pizza" is the story of Alana Kane and Gary Valentine growing up, running around and falling in love in the San Fernando Valley, 1973. Written and Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, the film tracks the treacherous navigation of first love.

Source: http://licoricepizza.movie/

Does it count as official synopsis?

I would say so.   And I thought these credits were interesting:

Executive Producers
Joanne Sellar
Daniel Lupi
Susan McNamara
Aaron L. Gilbert
Jason Cloth

Produced by
Sara Murphy
Paul Thomas Anderson
Adam Somner

Not sure how "Executive" vs "Producer" works.  Thoughts?

Likely, Murphy and Somner were the ones actually there on set taking care of the immediate practical production stuff, while Sellar and Lupi were more in charge of securing financing and putting the entire production together.

Somner is one of the most famous and accomplished AD's of the 21st century. And I've actually seen Sara Murphy at screenings of Anima and Phantom Thread, checking the projections

wilberfan

Spoiler: ShowHide
At 1:32, that's quite a look on Alana's face when she sees Joel.

At 1:54, Gary and Alana shooting a...campaign commercial?...for Joel, who is clearly driving.

Do we need a trailer spoiler thread at this point?  Someone who wants to stay virginal for the feature is going to be suffering in this thread...

Drenk

No. That person shouldn't come here at all.
Ascension.

©brad

mickeywolfman

Think I spotted the other Haim sisters! Este & Danielle. In the background of the shot of Alana's father (~0:16). Looks like they're all playing sisters!
You can also see Danielle in the foreground of the "Do you think its weird.." shots starting at (~1:17) as someone suggested before.

Also, is it possible that their father is played by their real life Israeli father, Mordechai Haim?
Image: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/mother-donna-haim-sisters-este-alana-and-danielle-haim-of-news-photo/451421739?adppopup=true

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wilberfan on September 27, 2021, 11:29:25 AMDo we need a trailer spoiler thread at this point?  Someone who wants to stay virginal for the feature is going to be suffering in this thread...

I think trailer spoilers are fair game now.

polkablues

Nothing to add about the trailer at this point, but earlier this morning I saw someone on Twitter refer to Cooper as "Phillip Seymour Hoffboy" and I'm still laughing about it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

d

Jonny Greenwood has retweeted the trailer. Which may mean nothing more than retweeting the trailer of a friend's movie but may not...

Drenk

Reading the comments about the trailer, I'm noticing that Soggy Bottom is a title that not only hardcore fans knew: this isn't totally a "Sydney/Hard Eight" situation.
Ascension.

axxonn

Quote from: d on September 27, 2021, 12:29:24 PM
Jonny Greenwood has retweeted the trailer. Which may mean nothing more than retweeting the trailer of a friend's movie but may not...

He just tweeted that he wrote a couple of cues for it but that it's 70s soundtrack based, then deleted it?

(I'm now doubting myself lol - 99% sure it was from his account?)

d

Did he? :D I didn't catch that. If that's the case, I think it's cool and more than I expected. I kind of accepted he is not involved and "a couple of cues" seems exciting enough. Also, I wonder if Anderson scolded him for revealing the secret and he deleted it. ;)

itwasgood

Quote from: mickeywolfman on September 27, 2021, 12:16:35 PM
Think I spotted the other Haim sisters! Este & Danielle. In the background of the shot of Alana's father (~0:16). Looks like they're all playing sisters!
You can also see Danielle in the foreground of the "Do you think its weird.." shots starting at (~1:17) as someone suggested before.

Also, is it possible that their father is played by their real life Israeli father, Mordechai Haim?
Image: https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/mother-donna-haim-sisters-este-alana-and-danielle-haim-of-news-photo/451421739?adppopup=true

Yes, I was thinking about the same thing! I spotted Danielle but not Este, who's a little blurry in the background, good eye!

PinkTeeth

Nice little surprise at the end for those of us who memorized the bootleg...
Extra timpani! Suspense!  What'sis phonecall all about!?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for this movie  :yabbse-thumbup:

Also, Alana's nipples should get costarring credits as well as they seem to have much screen time
New Name, Same Typos.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, I was not expecting nips on the poster.