Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

HACKANUT

Gotta agree the trailer seems to indicate a sub-120min film. Seems like a relatively compact story, but packed with details and side characters. A nice lean cut of it would really hit the spot. Something so right about the short runtime of PDL, after all.
Will be nice to have another short-ish PTA film, that just means churning through those rewatches.  8-)
I'd be very happy tho if it ended up pushing closer to 150min AND the movie required it. I'd imagine it would need to lean more into the side characters to do so, which would be a pleasure to see.

Find Your Magali

Well today's buzz for trailers that are actually in wide release goes to The Tragedy of Macbeth. My heavens that looks gorgeous.

d

I am also happy with at least 120 min. Not just because the more the better but also I would like the story to justify such running time. Phantom Thread was over two hours but to be honest the story did not feel it requires 2 hours to tell. Inherent Vice was even longer and I love it but felt a bit claustrophobic (in a kind of good way) so I would love that one to be more epic in scope. Not necessarily Magnolia-style but a "big" story, with side characters feeding it and some big cinematic moments, montages, music scenes etc. would be cool. Still managed to stay away from the leaked trailer but from what I have read it still seems unclear how Safdie's character and his story fits into the romance, right?

HACKANUT

It's very slightly made more clear in the trailer.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Based on just a few shots, I got the impression Cooper and Alana are volunteering at the Wach's election HQ.
Reminded me a bit of the Palentine office in Taxi Driver.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: d on September 21, 2021, 08:30:19 AM
I am also happy with at least 120 min. Not just because the more the better but also I would like the story to justify such running time. Phantom Thread was over two hours but to be honest the story did not feel it requires 2 hours to tell. Inherent Vice was even longer and I love it but felt a bit claustrophobic (in a kind of good way) so I would love that one to be more epic in scope. Not necessarily Magnolia-style but a "big" story, with side characters feeding it and some big cinematic moments, montages, music scenes etc. would be cool. Still managed to stay away from the leaked trailer but from what I have read it still seems unclear how Safdie's character and his story fits into the romance, right?

Well...

My guess is the campaign office is just a weekend job that Cooper has -- All of these supporting characters could be part of a real Boogie Nights style ensemble, but they could also just be near-to-one-scene cameos

d

I am happy with "near-to-one-scene cameos" and a good enough story focused on Cooper and Alana can still be great and justify long running time.

Alma

The casting descriptions that got leaked - ageing director, female agent, closeted politician - all seem to be pretty accurate based on what we know so I wouldn't be surprised if the other info (that the politician is a major role and the agent is in quite a few scenes) turns out to be true, even if the main focus is the younger characters.

Rooty Poots

It feels like the Wachs character surely has more than one scene if the fact that his character is closeted was part of the casting call. That doesn't sound like a character with a cameo. That sounds like a character with an arc.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drenk

Ascension.

PaulElroy35

wilberfan

:shock:

[Jonny's tweet, my graphic] 

nomorecoffee

Anybody else that decided to don t see the trailer but is listening to life on mars on repeat imagining  it?

wilberfan

Life on Mars seems to be permanently stuck in my head since I saw it in the theater 10 days ago.