Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

pynchonikon

Either this tweet is trolling OR someone (?) didn't like the "exclusively-in-35mm-until-I say-so" idea AT ALL.

jviness02

Or they are using this to see how strong of a demand there is and it turns out neckbeard cinephiles are still the only people who care about PTA, so there is no demand.

csage97

Ah, this really takes me back to the days when IV didn't play in my area upon its wide release. I ended up watching an awful pixelated bootleg on my laptop for the first viewing. Good times. When PT came out, I made sure to see it in the theater three times during its two-week or so run in my city.

jviness02

Quote from: csage97 on September 20, 2021, 08:41:05 PM
Ah, this really takes me back to the days when IV didn't play in my area upon its wide release. I ended up watching an awful pixelated bootleg on my laptop for the first viewing. Good times. When PT came out, I made sure to see it in the theater three times during its two-week or so run in my city.

Oh Man hahaha. I drove pretty far to see Phantom Thread before it went wide, so I think I can confidently say if a PTA film wasn't in my area upon a wide release, I'd drive to see it versus watching it on a laptop, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

csage97

Quote from: jviness02 on September 20, 2021, 09:31:54 PM
Quote from: csage97 on September 20, 2021, 08:41:05 PM

Oh Man hahaha. I drove pretty far to see Phantom Thread before it went wide, so I think I can confidently say if a PTA film wasn't in my area upon a wide release, I'd drive to see it versus watching it on a laptop, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I was a student at the time and didn't have my own car. I vaguely remember trying to put plans together to go see it and having them not work out, and then getting really busy at school. A big part of the joy for me too is seeing what the film looks like, seeing the film stock choices, the lighting, the detail, all that, but I just had to see the story for IV and didn't want to wait.

Hateful Eight didn't play in my area either at wide release, and iirc it wasn't even playing in the big city about an hour away. It was so odd to me at the time, especially after Django was such a success at my local theater. I remember it being packed for Django, so much that I had to sit in those close front seats, and the audience got really into it. I ended up watching H8 with a shitty bootleg too ... another one that should only be seen in good quality given that it was shot in 70 mm.

ffsfahad

Please Guys anyone how's got the trailer please send it to my email: fehed18@gmail.com

Jeremy Blackman

I don't personally agree with the trailer secrecy, but considering the extent to which MGM (or whoever) is apparently freaking out, we should probably avoid linking to leaks at this point.

It's puzzling to me that they're surprised by the leak, tbh. I figured that was a known part of the deal, if not built into the actual strategy.

pynchonikon

Yeah, I don't think they would be so naive to believe they could actually show this only to rep cinemas for three weeks or so (in a way this is kinda the trailer's "limited release" before the wide-digital-one) without any complications.

We'll see if this turn of events makes them re-consider their strategy or they'll just say "fuck it" and stay devoted to their primary plan.

The fact is that anyone who has internet and really wants to see this trailer, now he can.

HoQTeMR4

What do you think running time will be?
My guess is 110-120 minutes.

MaurizioBunkus

So, I know I could go back and re-read the last 20 odd pages of this thread, but...

Spoiler: ShowHide
wasn't Sean Penn screaming "I'm coming Nancy"?

I'm so torn too, do I want this to be a fun and energetic 100 minutes? Or a fun and energetic 160 minutes?

Robyn

No way this will be 130 minutes plus

pynchonikon

Quote from: MaurizioBunkus on September 21, 2021, 05:29:20 AM
So, I know I could go back and re-read the last 20 odd pages of this thread, but...

Spoiler: ShowHide
wasn't Sean Penn screaming "I'm coming Nancy"?

Yes, he was.

120 min seems about right, 130 (end credits included) tops.

PaulElroy35

Are people against long pta films or something.  Obviously  the most important  thing is he film being good but I'm all for the longer the better. 

Paul doesnt make films every year so it's nice soe doing a long time with each film if we can.

MaurizioBunkus

Quote from: Mattbish19 on September 21, 2021, 06:25:03 AM
Are people against long pta films or something.  Obviously  the most important  thing is he film being good but I'm all for the longer the better. 

Paul doesnt make films every year so it's nice soe doing a long time with each film if we can.

You'd have to be an odd kind of PTA fan to be against long PTA films.

I'd love to have a zippy 90 minute PTA romp, but yeah, will that keep me satiated for another four years?

pynchonikon

Quote from: Mattbish19 on September 21, 2021, 06:25:03 AM

The thing is that this movie in particular looks basically (not entirely, as there is lots of shit goin' on obviously) a hangout/lighthearted teen romcom - at least this aspect is what the trailer focuses on. Doesn't seem like it could be another LA saga of epic proportions - and that's fine as far as I'm concerned.