Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: RecceI don't get how so many people can fuck up mounting prints of movies. Its not that hard. You just have to pay attention. Sigh. Hitchcock would have gone on a murderous rampage if someone had done that to one of his films.
It happens.  I have some projectionist friends, and sometimes they have to build/check 4-5 new movies for friday morning.  You get distracted, a phone call, some problem, it could happen.

The real danger comes when you're getting a print that's already been played (on the platter system) and the head/tails and reel tags have been cut off, then reattached.  The previous projectionist usually just sticks any one on at hand during the rebuild, that's when the real mix-ups happen.

bonanzataz

so, what parts got mixed up?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThis may not be your fault. Maybe you're just used to the three-act formula, and this is pretty much a two-act movie. Do you think that is (maybe) where some of your discomfort is coming from?

I don't really believe Kill Bill: Vol. 1 really is a two act movie (Maybe you were referring to larger context of Kill Bill both volumes). In this movie, though, there is a feeling of two act in how the movie seems to tell one story with in the USA part and then another with the Japan part. My idea is that the USA part really doesn't act for anything complete worthy of being an equal part to everything in Japan, but seems - in the nicest sense - to set up some things in Japan. Considering that, I'd wish it all been wrapped up into the Japan story for a more effective tone.

I have no problems to a two-part movie and do think I am being quite fair in analyzing this movie. It is a movie still. I do look forward to part 2 and am open to anything. I just may be highly critical.

~rougerum

godardian

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThis may not be your fault. Maybe you're just used to the three-act formula, and this is pretty much a two-act movie. Do you think that is (maybe) where some of your discomfort is coming from?

I don't really believe Kill Bill: Vol. 1 really is a two act movie (Maybe you were referring to larger context of Kill Bill both volumes). In this movie, though, there is a feeling of two act in how the movie seems to tell one story with in the USA part and then another with the Japan part. My idea is that the USA part really doesn't act for anything complete worthy of being an equal part to everything in Japan, but seems - in the nicest sense - to set up some things in Japan. Considering that, I'd wish it all been wrapped up into the Japan story for a more effective tone.

I have no problems to a two-part movie and do think I am being quite fair in analyzing this movie. It is a movie still. I do look forward to part 2 and am open to anything. I just may be highly critical.

~rougerum

Since I've got GT and QT here together, I should point out that Stanley Kauffmann, in his book On Film, gets something about Tarantino so exactly and rarely right when he pegs him as a master of escapism. He's so often thought of in those narrow, thoughtless categories of "indie" or "alternative" film. In fact, Tarantino doesn't make serious films- he makes escapist, entertaining films. But he is seriously good at what he does. Kauffmann articulates this very well.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

I saw Kill Bill again today (3rd time) and again I like it even more, this is getting closer and closer to being my favorite film.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

neatahwanta

After my 11th viewing, I'd have to say...I like this movie.

Banky

Quote from: neatahwantaAfter my 11th viewing, I'd have to say...I like this movie.

seriously?

neatahwanta

Seriously.  I saw it 3 times the weekend it came out (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), then I saw it Friday --> Friday, which was today).

SoNowThen

Quote from: neatahwantaSeriously.  I saw it 3 times the weekend it came out (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), then I saw it Friday --> Friday, which was today).

That's fucking great! I think the most I've ever watched a movie in a row was From Dusk 'Til Dawn, which went on for 9 days. I was so happy to see that Sheriff guy back in Kill Bill...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

neatahwanta

12, and this time there was a glitch: the front sound went out between Charlie Brown-san running out and the beginning of the GoGo fight, but it came back on finally.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SHAFTRI saw Kill Bill again today (3rd time) and again I like it even more, this is getting closer and closer to being my favorite film.

Here's my question... After Volume 2, can you say "Kill Bill is my favorite movie" and have people understand that you mean both volumes together? Or do you have to choose one volume?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SHAFTRI saw Kill Bill again today (3rd time) and again I like it even more, this is getting closer and closer to being my favorite film.

Here's my question... After Volume 2, can you say "Kill Bill is my favorite movie" and have people understand that you mean both volumes together? Or do you have to choose one volume?

I think you would say "Kill Bill" is my favorite movie.  And they would say, which volume did you like most?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SHAFTRAnd they would say, which volume did you like most?

Which really means "No, you can't say Kill Bill is your favorite movie... WHICH ONE?"... My point is, how long is it going to take for people to think of this as one movie?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SHAFTRAnd they would say, which volume did you like most?

Which really means "No, you can't say Kill Bill is your favorite movie... WHICH ONE?"... My point is, how long is it going to take for people to think of this as one movie?

Since the first one flowed so well as it's own film, I don't think they ever will.  I guess it depends on how the second one starts, and if it could flow on it's own.

On a side note, I don't think The Matrix Reloaded flows well on it's own.  Imagine seeing The Matrix Reloaded without seeing The Matrix; you would be so lost.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: SHAFTROn a side note, I don't think The Matrix Reloaded flows well on it's own.  Imagine seeing The Matrix Reloaded without seeing The Matrix; you would be so lost.
I think you have it backwards: imagine watching Revolutions w/out having seeing Reloaded.  I mean, there wasn't a Kill Bill Vol. Zero.