Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: picolas
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhat do you mean by "the scenes are pushed off"?

They are all pushed for the final fight. It's all build up.
sorry to budge in here, but how is this a criticism?

Who are you talking to? I'm not criticizing. Just identifying a good quality about the second part different from the first part. JB also quoted me wrong. I said the scenes were "pushed", he quoted me as saying "pushed off". That suggests something else than "push" which is similiar to "build up". Maybe he thought I meant something else.

~rougerum

picolas

Quote from: picolas
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhat do you mean by "the scenes are pushed off"?

They are all pushed for the final fight. It's all build up.
sorry to budge in here, but how is this a criticism?

Who are you talking to? I'm not criticizing. Just identifying a good quality about the second part different from the first part.
ah. i was talking to you. i didn't realize you were saying it was a good thing.

:arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:

Jeremy Blackman

LOTS OF SPOILERS

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe massacre during her wedding is the fuel. Your defense is rationalization. With your logic, she could have been kidnapped by stoners and taken on a cross country road trip with them in the back of a van and repeatedly raped.

Wait. No. I didn't say the rape thing by itself justifies (or rationalizes) the revenge thing. It just maginifies it. It's just a little more fuel, at the perfect time.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhy not just show the massacre and talent obviously from it?

It works better for the tone and the suspense to keep it shrouded in myth.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWith the cops talking, dead bodies are everywhere but the only identification of talent in killing is just them saying it.

Exactly. That's what makes the scene great.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhen the Japan part begins, all the scenes are pushed for the final payoff and kept tonally in order to make it all work.

Okay, I think I get it. You're just complaining about the "vignettes" before Japan, right?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanOkay, I think I get it. You're just complaining about the "vignettes" before Japan, right?

Yes. And with you bringing up some points, I'm starting not to mind some parts of the vignettes as much. Let's say I see the parts before Japan as an attempt for the equal to Japan, since both take 2 chapters of Kill Bill. Its just with the vignettes before Japan, it feels like another movie. Each scene is made more for just that scene. I would have preffered it all wrapped up into the environment of Japan to get a more tonally complete movie.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman[Wait. No. I didn't say the rape thing by itself justifies (or rationalizes) the revenge thing. It just maginifies it. It's just a little more fuel, at the perfect time.

Good. I'll accept that argument. My overall complaint (as brought up above) still exists.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIt works better for the tone and the suspense to keep it shrouded in myth.

I agree. My option of some way to change it was more of an example of disagreeance.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanExactly. That's what makes the scene great.

Like I said before, to play out the idea of the massacre is good. I still have problems with the cops. The detailing of them interacting and acting as if they do know what they are talking about (when it is hardly believable) feels like an element of Coen brother comedy inserted. While maybe playing out the good idea of showing the massacre as an idea, it distracts cause the focus is so much on them and they are partially farce.

And to finish up, I understand the movie is suppose to be off balance. Its just with two first chapters set in USA and the second two set in Japan, it is obvious where all the though really is. It just feels like Tarantino put so little into the USA part and so much into the Japan part that I'd like the USA part dumped and further examination of it under the Japan part.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetwould have preffered it all wrapped up into the environment of Japan to get a more tonally complete movie.

That's a valid complaint. You may think differently after seeing Volume II, though.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe detailing of them interacting and acting as if they do know what they are talking about (when it is hardly believable) feels like an element of Coen brother comedy inserted.

Yeah, but like I said before, that's Tarantino. It just makes it (tonally?) more mysterious.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAnd to finish up, I understand the movie is suppose to be off balance. Its just with two first chapters set in USA and the second two set in Japan, it is obvious where all the though really is. It just feels like Tarantino put so little into the USA part and so much into the Japan part that I'd like the USA part dumped and further examination of it under the Japan part.

This may not be your fault. Maybe you're just used to the three-act formula, and this is pretty much a two-act movie. Do you think that is (maybe) where some of your discomfort is coming from?

prophet

bill oreilly said that kill bill was the most violent movie ever.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Finn

It very well may be (within the R rated movie world).
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Recce

Interesting and blasphemous anecdote:
I work at a movie theatre. We received 2 prints of Kill Bill. A couple days later, we found out that the person who mounted one of them inversed two of the reals. Consequently, one of the scenes jsut cut off, moved onto something else and then picked up later. Funny thing is, the flow worked. The only reason we found out is because someone who had seen our other copy noticed the difference and told us. I, myself, watched the out of order one and didn't notice anything wrong.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

cine

Quote from: prophetbill oreilly said that kill bill was the most violent movie ever.
Bill O'Reilly is also a Lying Liar Who Tells Lies.
He's exaggerating.

picolas

Quote from: RecceInteresting and blasphemous anecdote:
I work at a movie theatre. We received 2 prints of Kill Bill. A couple days later, we found out that the person who mounted one of them inversed two of the reals. Consequently, one of the scenes jsut cut off, moved onto something else and then picked up later. Funny thing is, the flow worked. The only reason we found out is because someone who had seen our other copy noticed the difference and told us. I, myself, watched the out of order one and didn't notice anything wrong.
where was the funky cut?

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: RecceInteresting and blasphemous anecdote:

Funny, the same thing happened when I saw Go.  I didn't find out till waaaaaay later.  But it still made sense and I enjoyed it.  Go figure.

Ghostboy

Interestingly, I've had the same experience with both American Beauty and Road To Perdition. Sam Mendes must be charmed.

SoNowThen

just saw this last night.... finally.

brilliant. ah yes, so good. right now, for whatever their reasons were, I'm happy as hell they decided to show this in two volumes. now I can extend this good feeling until the next one comes out.

4 Xixax's out of 4!!

EDIT - I just read that he made this for $55 million! How fucking great is that?! It looked more like 100+. Someone said "would we praise this as much if it were done by a no-name", well, only QT would put a Pussy Wagon in this movie. So classic. Even though this is against all my principles, I'm gonna buy both the single version of the discs, and the double when it comes out. Woohoooo!!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

same thing happened when i saw donnie darko on opening night.  a friend who worked at the theatre later told me what had happened, and then when i got the dvd, i was like "this is way less hard to follow."  i had thought the whole thing was non-linear.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Recce

I don't get how so many people can fuck up mounting prints of movies. Its not that hard. You just have to pay attention. Sigh. Hitchcock would have gone on a murderous rampage if someone had done that to one of his films.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")