Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

nix

Gamblor, sorry. Hate to misquote the mighty Homer Simpson.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

picolas

i totally agree with Mac about the dialogue. it just wasn't all that great. certainly not QT great. like how almost every use of "bitch" felt out of place in the kitchen scene.

but as i said before, i felt this was his best use of time-fuckery. if the movie had started with the house of blue leaves battle and ended with the knife fight it obviously wouldn't have been as great.. and the history of O-Ren was a perfect fit. when the anime ended and it went back to the toe wiggle, it was like she had really taken that exact amount of time to wiggle her toe, which is more exciting to me than a 15 minutes later card... and the fact that there was a minimal story made it easier and kind of more fun to digest the telling of it.. i could roll with the punches faster.. i'll have to see it again to cite more specific examples, but every little out of order moment felt really right to me.

oh, and for the record, i loved the black and white. i'm a fan of that part.

samsong

for me, the dialogue wasn't what you would typically expect for Tarantino as mentioned before, but it still fits his style.  It's heavily stylized and I thought fit the genres and films that he was referring to throughout the movie.  I thought the dialogue was dry and overdone so that it created the effect of reading subtitles... except they were speaking them, alluding more to Hong Kong action flicks.  Also lots of B-movie inspired dialogue mixed in too so of course it's going to suck but I thought it fit perfectly in the cinematic world Tarantino creates with Kill Bill.  QT said that he gorged on Hong Kong action flicks and B-movies for some period of time, which lead him to write Kill Bill.  After seeing the movie I knew the dialogue would be the main complaint, but for me that sort of cheapens what Tarantino's cinema is about.  His films are basically self indulgent love letters to film.  Sure his three previous films had that snappy, memorable dialogue but it's not just for the sake of good dialogue; it works with the characters and the "plot" of the film, or the genre/film that he's referencing... I'm assuming the same goes for Jackie Brown, since I havent seen it yet.  

Non-linear narrative worked well for what goes on in this part of the film, but it being the first half of one, I can't really come to any conclusions.  As far as his "time-fuckery" goes I'll stick to Reservoir Dogs (favorite QT film), because it makes the plot juicier and characters more colorful while have a logical order of events as far as suspense and building a crescendo goes.  Pulp Fiction was all over the place... but I loved that as well.  Leone-esque (Once Upon a Time in America).  

Black-and-white, good.  I think Ghostboy made a really good point when he said that it could have possibly been to keep the visual style of the film fresh; the obvious answer for the b & w is that it was for the R-rating.  But it worked really well, I thought, and I loved the transition from black-and-white into color right before the Seijun Suzuki-style fight.

Needless to say, I fucking loved this movie.

©brad

Quote from: samsongfor me, the dialogue wasn't what you would typically expect for Tarantino as mentioned before, but it still fits his style.  It's heavily stylized and I thought fit the genres and films that he was referring to throughout the movie.  I thought the dialogue was dry and overdone so that it created the effect of reading subtitles... except they were speaking them, alluding more to Hong Kong action flicks.  Also lots of B-movie inspired dialogue mixed in too so of course it's going to suck but I thought it fit perfectly in the cinematic world Tarantino creates with Kill Bill.  QT said that he gorged on Hong Kong action flicks and B-movies for some period of time, which lead him to write Kill Bill.  After seeing the movie I knew the dialogue would be the main complaint, but for me that sort of cheapens what Tarantino's cinema is about.  His films are basically self indulgent love letters to film.  Sure his three previous films had that snappy, memorable dialogue but it's not just for the sake of good dialogue; it works with the characters and the "plot" of the film, or the genre/film that he's referencing... I'm assuming the same goes for Jackie Brown, since I havent seen it yet.  

i agree. u see, at first i was kinda thrown off at much of the dialogue, sum of which was just plain awkward, but i think tarantino did this on purpose, as samsong has said.

and there were sum memorable lines: "this old tall drink of cocksucker/ that depends, when do you want to die?"

Banky

i thought Fox's deleveries were pretty painful to losten to.  This might be a dumb question but why did they bleep out the brides name?  Just so it remained a mystery?

Alethia

Gamblour.

Quote from: Bankyi thought Fox's deleveries were pretty painful to losten to.

To be honest, when I heard Vivica Fox say those lines, I heard Samuel L. Jackson saying them. Her delivery sounded just like the way Jackson spoke in Pulp Fiction (every movie, for that matter). It didn't bug me too much.
WWPTAD?

Fernando

I just remembered that in the animation sequence, one of the bad guys looks fairly like Bill, he's the last one to leave the room, also sets it on fire, so, could this be Bill?

When O-Ren Ishi kills the politician, his car has Mexican flags on its sides (or so they look alike); the Mexican goverment is very nit picky about these things, so I wonder if they will have them remove, because as you most know, 'nobody' in the goverment is corrupt, takes advantage of his connections or hires hookers to be entertained.

ono

Spoilers, duh.

Question here.  I was wondering what it was The Bride was trying to get out of her mouth before Bill shot her in the head.  I read somewhere else that she was trying to say that she was carrying his baby.  Is this accurate?

And love it, think it's overrated, or just really hate it, Kill Bill's popularity is really soaring.  It's up to #150 on the IMDb's top 250.  Not that it matters, but it sure means among the majority of people, it's popular and a crowd pleaser.  Though I shudder to think how fast Return of the King will climb.

modage

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaSpoilers, duh.

Question here.  I was wondering what it was The Bride was trying to get out of her mouth before Bill shot her in the head.  I read somewhere else that she was trying to say that she was carrying his baby.  Is this accurate?

yeah.  i think it was "bill, its your baby".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

From the script *SPOILERS*:

THE BRIDE
                        Bill, I'm pregnant. It's your baby.

After saying the "y" in "baby", we hear a BANG and The Bride receives a bullet in the side of her head.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffin

From the script *SPOILERS*:

THE BRIDE
                        Bill, I'm pregnant. It's your baby.

After saying the "y" in "baby", we hear a BANG and The Bride receives a bullet in the side of her head.

but in the actual movie, she goes "bill, it's your baby" then BANG.

bonanzataz

no, guys, you're all wrong. she goes, "bill...it's your bab--" BANG!

pfff, douche bags...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Quote from: ©badbut in the actual movie, she goes "bill, it's your baby" then BANG.

Quote from: themodernage02

yeah.  i think it was "bill, its your baby".

hey!  bottom of last page people...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.