Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

nix

Banky,

I think there's a whole thread devoted to the Black and White sequence, but for the record, I liked it. I would like to see it in color, but I feel fine knowing that I saw it how QT intended it to.

I didn't really have a problem with the dialogue. It wasn't exactly like QT's other movies, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's just a more visually driven film. And I'm sorry, but I fucking love O-Ren Ishii's speech after she slices off boss Tanaka's head. Brilliant stuff.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

nix

Oh, yeah, about the structure. I thought it worked really well. The Vernita Green fight would've been a letdown after the house of blue leaves, and comming out of O-Ren's origin story to that "wiggle your big toe" line was pure genius.
-Woddy Allen

Steve McQueen's ghost

Cinephile,

I'm 33. How old are you?.... Wait, forget I asked. I don't think age is really important. However it does give a bit of background in what films a person has witnessed. The first movie I went nuts over was Star Wars. I had a bunch of the figures. My fav was my Jawa! :-)

modage

i actually really liked the fact there wasnt a whole lot of dialogue. i just re-watched Jackie Brown recently, and while it I do like it a lot, some of the dialogue doesnt seem as natural as in RD or PF.  like, in those it was a little more believable, and after pulp exploded some of the people in JB were like "oh okay, we know how this goes", and kind of acted like they were IN a quentin tarantino movie, and less like something that came naturally.  i liked in kill bill how when the characters were speaking it didnt really sound anything like his other flicks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

Quote from: nixOh, yeah, about the structure. I thought it worked really well. The Vernita Green fight would've been a letdown after the house of blue leaves, and comming out of O-Ren's origin story to that "wiggle your big toe" line was pure genius.

true

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i actually really liked the fact there wasnt a whole lot of dialogue.

For me it wasn't the fact that there wasn't a lot of dialogue, it was what was there. I guess I expected more from QT than a debate about who should go get the sake.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin
For me it wasn't the fact that there wasn't a lot of dialogue, it was what was there. I guess I expected more from QT than a debate about who should go get the sake.

***SPOILERS***

But that's the thing... when you watch those old kung fu movies... that's the sort of comic relief banter that goes on.  "Awww... I always have to get the sake, why don't you do it for once?  I should be in charge".  

and one of my favorite lines "We gonna have us a KNIFE FIGHT!"... it was very QT in that it was something someone said in another movie changed enough to make it original again.

I really like KB... Jackie Brown is Mos Def still his best film, but I didn't expect any else with this one, it gave me what I wanted and I still get another one in a couple months.

Sleuth

Quote from: RegularKarate

***SPOILERS***

But that's the thing... when you watch those old kung fu movies... that's the sort of comic relief banter that goes on.  "Awww... I always have to get the sake, why don't you do it for once?  I should be in charge".  

and one of my favorite lines "We gonna have us a KNIFE FIGHT!"

RK wins!
I like to hug dogs

Alethia

Quote from: themodernage02i actually really liked the fact there wasnt a whole lot of dialogue.

oh i fucking loved that scene - just the way it was shot was so subtley genius.

SHAFTR

Kill Bill should almost have it's own forum here for a few weeks, there is just too much to talk about for one thread.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

Quote from: SHAFTRKill Bill should almost have it's own forum here for a few weeks, there is just too much to talk about for one thread.
...that's what this forum is for.  ;)

nix

I also loved the sushi bar scene. It reminded me of the type of comic relief that was common in so many Kurosawa films. Particularly Hidden Fortress. That Japanese overacting was great. And when The Bride says Hatori Hanzo for the first time and you hear something break in the other room, that was fucking brilliant.
-Woddy Allen

nix

Why do I feel like Chris Farley all the sudden?

Remember when Uma splits that guy down the middle?... That was awsome.
-Woddy Allen

Gamblour.

Quote from: nixAnd when The Bride says Hatori Hanzo for the first time and you hear something break in the other room, that was fucking brilliant.

I thought that was, as you said, fucking brilliant. The sound proved to have some great punch lines. Besides that, I thought it was hilarious and almost distrubing being able to hear all the dying 88's lying there, moaning in pain, even before we're able to see the actual aftermath.
WWPTAD?

nix

Gambler,

omigod, I can't believe I forgot to mention that!

Only QT would think to do something like that. It's those beautiful little touches that make this film so great. As completely unbelievable as it is that The Bride just chopped up 88 people, QT lets that little bit of realism peek through. If they aren't all dead, they're gonna be moaning in pain. Loved that.

And speaking of the sound. Man, did he make the most of it! Blood gurgling, that crazy, over the top kung fu sound when Uma does backflips. What balls this man has.
-Woddy Allen