Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

SHAFTR

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: SHAFTROn a side note, I don't think The Matrix Reloaded flows well on it's own.  Imagine seeing The Matrix Reloaded without seeing The Matrix; you would be so lost.
I think you have it backwards: imagine watching Revolutions w/out having seeing Reloaded.  I mean, there wasn't a Kill Bill Vol. Zero.

I've read this half a dozen times...I don't get it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

brockly

Quote from: Weak2ndActI mean, there wasn't a Kill Bill Vol. Zero.

:roll:

Weak2ndAct

Okay: You're saying KB flows well on it's own.  Well of course, it's the first half of the movie.  And it has a conclusion of sorts.  But there is nothing BEFORE IT.  As for KB2 standing on it's own, I'd doubt it, unless there's some sort-of corny recap (which I doubt Quentin will do).  

Sure, you don't get Reloaded if you haven't seen the first Matrix-- that's b/c the Wachowski's didn't do some bullshit rehash.  They've assumed the fans know the material and don't waste their time.

That probably doesn't make sense either.  Fuck it.

brockly

Quote from: Weak2ndActThat probably doesn't make sense either.

yeah, it does. i kinda misunderstood before. apologies.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SHAFTRAnd they would say, which volume did you like most?

Which really means "No, you can't say Kill Bill is your favorite movie... WHICH ONE?"... My point is, how long is it going to take for people to think of this as one movie?

i think after both have been out on dvd for a while, ppl will start to think of it at one movie, esp. if they re-release both parts in one dvd set, which im sure they're gonna do.

in regards to reloaded, well, i don't understand why ppl would want to see it w/o seeing the matrix first. it would be like reading the last half of a book before reading the first half.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SHAFTRI saw Kill Bill again today (3rd time) and again I like it even more, this is getting closer and closer to being my favorite film.

Here's my question... After Volume 2, can you say "Kill Bill is my favorite movie" and have people understand that you mean both volumes together? Or do you have to choose one volume?

I think mostly everyone's gonna think of the two volumes as one movie. People will understand what we mean.

Now, for LOTR, I think it will take forever. But I will always think of them as one movie...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

I do see Kill Bill (Vol. 1 and 2) as two separate movies. And I think the general public will too when they have gone dvd and everything is said and done. Why? Distance of release is close enough to follow the Matrix movies in that it is a quick sequel right after the film. Also, the dvd plan is to release both movies generally separately first. The general public will buy these versions. The box set of both volumes will likely be for fans like us more so.

This is also why I have been so critical of Volume 1 is because it does stand on its own. It is complete enough to be worthy of any other movie and so good it even surpasses most movies. It is also complete enough to have the general 3 acts and use them efficently. The ending to Volume 1 doesn't really suggest one movie cut in half, but two movies linked by a similiar storyline and a revelation. A revelation worthy of a serial in making you watch the following one. From everything QT has said, the movies will also be different in form, with Volume 1 utilizing all the action and Volume 2 more classic to Tarantino's earlier films. So I really don't see one film broken in half and really incomplete without its other half. A better example of that would Full Metal Jacket. The first part is only forty five minutes and so focused on one situation that with it ending, you feel you must be payed off with the actual war. The boot camp part is entertaining, but not fulfilling. The first part of Kill Bill is surely both. With that, I see Volume 2 more as a sequel. Or Just "Volume 2". Each film its own volume.

~rougerum

Finn

Crap! Kill Bill just went down to number 7 at the box office with 5.9mil. So far, 53.6mil.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

ElPandaRoyal

It's 02:46 a.m. here and I just got back home from seeing Kill Bill for the first fucking time. I'm amazed. It's brilliant, it's...... damn...... it's really really great. I'm glad I couldn't see this on Friday (when it opened here) or Saturday, because this was just a great theater experience. Everyone was in the mood for this. Nobody left the theater. People laughed, were thrilled and amazed by this. Great movie, Quentin. I need to think more about this, I need to digest it. Oooohhhhhh what a night. I'm really thrilled here.
Si

brockly

just saw it for third time. definitely a film that gets better and better after each viewing. im kind of starting to dig the anime... 'kind of'.

one thing though. can someone please explain to me the bit when hattori says "why should i help you" then uma says "because my vermin was a former student of yours". then he writes "Bill" on the window. what does this mean? i don't really get this part. if bill was a former student, and he's uma's vermin, shouldn't that be a reason NOT to help her?

Sleuth

Bill is clearly a terrible person who does terrible things, thus he is a disgrace to the clearly good-natured Hattori
I like to hug dogs

SHAFTR

my question...
Uma looks at her hands (CU of palms) and she says 4 years.

Sleuth

She read the lining on her hands
I like to hug dogs

SHAFTR

Quote from: SlobhShe read the lining on her hands

that is what I thought but how can you tell how much time has passed?

Sleuth

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: SlobhShe read the lining on her hands

that is what I thought but how can you tell how much time has passed?

You can't because you aren't a samurai
I like to hug dogs