The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

cine

Why would Xixaxers be foolish to pay to see the next Wes Anderson film?

modage

Quote from: Slick ShoesI won some tickets through a magazine contest so I guess I'll be seeing this again on the 6th.
me too. but mines on the 8th in nyc, so that bumps up my trip a few days.  :-D
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Ah fuck you all.

I'll be back when I actually see the movie.

:yabbse-leavesthread:

tpfkabi

"in theatres everywhere December 25th"

they said 'in theatres everywhere' for I Heart Huckabees, too, and it never came close. Napoleon Dynamite actually did make it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

mutinyco

Quote from: cinephiléWhy would Xixaxers be foolish to pay to see the next Wes Anderson film?

Because it isn't any good. Like I said, it's $50-million of production design and no script. Seriously, it's a disappointment. It looks like Wes, with a big budget on sets in Cinecitta, got lost and carried away -- and that epic long production should've been a warning to everybody.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

Yeah, but you thought The Terminal was really great and even unconventional. I think that's an appropriate gauge...

I'm pissed I missed the screening of this. Now I have to wait all the way until Christmas to make my top ten list, just in case this might deserve a spot (I'm not necessarily counting on it, but I'm not counting it out either).

mutinyco

Unconventional, yes. Great, no. If it's a question of taste, I did write an 11,000 word esssay on a film you've called your favorite of all time...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Slick Shoes

Quote from: mutinyco
Quote from: cinephiléWhy would Xixaxers be foolish to pay to see the next Wes Anderson film?

Because it isn't any good. Like I said, it's $50-million of production design and no script. Seriously, it's a disappointment. It looks like Wes, with a big budget on sets in Cinecitta, got lost and carried away -- and that epic long production should've been a warning to everybody.

It's not that I don't agree with you to a certain extent. But come now. A flawed Wes Anderson film is still better than most of the other stuff that gets released.

modage

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Slick ShoesI won some tickets through a magazine contest so I guess I'll be seeing this again on the 6th.
me too. but mines on the 8th in nyc, so that bumps up my trip a few days.  :-D
well, it looks like i actually have an extra pass for 2 to this, so if any other wes anderson freaks are going to be in the NYC area on wednesday and wants to come meet me for the show, ummm... let me know.  since its first come first serve i want to get there by 6 (atleast) for the 7:30 show, because i DO NOT want to drive 5 hours up for this and not get in.  so, actually if anyone wants to get there a little earlier than that and hold a spot and then can go elsewhere when i hold the spot or something like that, that would be cool.  if anyone is interested let me know.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Hahaha.. seriously dude.. where is your girlfriend..

modage

she's coming.  just like she did for Royal Tenenbaums and PDL (twice).

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: themodernage02she's coming.  just like she did for Royal Tenenbaums and PDL (twice).
I heard she came three times for Cine.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Weak2ndAct

Ugh.  Last night while standing in line at the movies, I heard numerous people saw Aquatic was just garbage... I have a feeling I'm either gonna really like this or start instigating riots.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Weak2ndActUgh.  Last night while standing in line at the movies, I heard numerous people saw Aquatic was just garbage... I have a feeling I'm either gonna really like this or start instigating riots.

Honestly, I know a LOT of people who hated Tenenbaums too.  Flat out, "I almost walked out of the theatre, it was so bad" hated it.  And I remember people walking out at the end of Rushmore with a "what the hell did I just see" look on their faces.  I think it's that Wes Anderson movies rub some people completely the wrong way.

mutinyco

No, I liked both of those films. This just isn't good. It's in the realm of Hudson Hawk.

-St. Joe