Lost in Translation

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, September 07, 2003, 11:51:23 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: pete
Quote from: ranemaka13
Quote from: peteit's not about the showers, it's about the outsiders' snide reaction, and the film's attempts to go out of its way to exoticize the showers.  a cultural setting does not depend the foreigners' point of view to give it life anyways.
Get that Japanese stick out of your ass, ASAP. You're being rediculous about this. What did you honestly want him to do?

dude chill with the personal stuff before you hurt yourself.
Nice retort. I'm very proud of you.
Even though you claim to have enjoyed the movie (if I remember correctly), you seem to have a personal vendetta against it, IMO. Why is it so hard for you to accept that people in foreign places will find new and different things very strange unless they are well studied in them? It's culture clash. This is all the movie portrays. I don't recall any sort of "bigotry" against any people in the film.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

"nice retort I'm very proud of you."  Cool I'm very proud of you too.
Nah I didn't enjoy the movie.  I didn't think the movie was worthless, it had good potential, good acting, and good moments, I felt it was cheapened by the exploitation of the so-called "cultural clash."  I've cited specific moments I disliked, and gave reasons why I disliked them.  But if you wanna brand me as whatever, go ahead.  Aside from Godardian and maybe SoNowThen, everyone else seems to be in this argument to lash out against some of that knee-jerk-PC-liberalism we all so love to hate.  But, wrong guy, Ringo.  I'm not interested in labeling or self-victimization, or whatever.  I jumped in to this, as I'd mentioned earlier today, because Foray was getting trashed for talking.  I was just trying to back up at least part of his statement.  But every new person jumping into this conversation seems only to be repeating the same argument over and over (with the exception of Raikus, but man, you bet I didn't appreciate the "most close-minded of all" statement) and lemme tell ya, it's tiring.
If you're actually interested in changing my mind (I'm assuming that's why people would want to engage in debates with other people--to change each other's mind) I'm listening.  But you gotta first chill with that personal attack stuff and then you gotta listen to what I have to say too.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

simple question pete, would u hav preferred they showed gratuitous scenes of middle-aged businessmen sniffing schoolgirl underwear?
under the paving stones.

pete

simple answer P: no, would you?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: petesimple answer P: no, would you?
no, but it would have been a more realistic portrayal of japanese culture, which i thought was what u wanted.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

xerxes

i know the shower scene isn't the only thing that has been brought up, but i just wanted to address it because it has been mentioned a couple of times.

things in japan tend to be smaller than things in america (the roads, the cars, and yes, even the showers). yes the movie takes notice of that, but its not saying "man, those japanese people are really short."

it's possible to have cultural differences addressed in a funny way without those differences being made fun of.  anyway i'm very sick and my thoughts probably aren't coming across very well.  but let me just say that i have been to japan (not that that makes my opinions more important than anyone else's) and went to japanese school for three years and when i watched the movie for the first time, it never crossed my mine that anything on the screen was offensive, i just thought it was beautiful.

anyway, i'm going to sleep.

foray

I know I elaborated on the LIT/Kill Bill comparison, only because of something P mentioned - "i hope u judged kill bill equally for its "portrayal" of asian ppl" - but I'm starting to bore even myself just thinking about it.

I don't recall ever saying Sofia Coppola is racist or that the film is racist. I did however originally remark

Quote3. I'm surprised that no one here mentioned how the Japanese are portrayed as very one-dimensional. I'm sure it offends some people, but it works for the film somewhat. We see Japan from a Westerner's eyes, albeit a bigoted Westerner.

Note how I accept that this one-dimensional portrayal helps the script. Whether that is an unfortunate function or not, depends on the different ppl who watch it, of course.

And someone was trying to tell me ignorance is not racist? Boy oh boy, it sure does have the same effect as racism. But I digress.

I am well aware that Coppola actually adores Japanese culture (this from reading interviews) but it's too bad that what she has put out there can be interpreted as being a narrow portrayal of Japanese culture. She can't claim full authorship now that her art is out there among viewers.

foray
touch me i'm sick

Raikus

Quote from: pete(with the exception of Raikus, but man, you bet I didn't appreciate the "most close-minded of all" statement)
Yeah, that was a cheap shot. My apologies. But it does seem you're putting every scene under the microscope to come up with a preconceived notion. I just don't understand your viewpoint on it. Anyway--rehash. Let's leave it at bigons.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

tpfkabi

i was thinking that Sophia made the movie that Kaufman talks about in her ex-husband's film, Adaptation.......i'm speaking of when Kaufman is talking about a film where there are no character arcs, profound life changes, etc........LIT shows that it can be done well I guess

it's hilarious when Bill is dancing around in a robe in the Making Of..
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pas

Quote from: Pnow can sumone please for the love of god give me a well-lit butt shot?????????

This request has NOT been met yet, feel free to feel ashamed of your selves.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: Pnow can sumone please for the love of god give me a well-lit butt shot?????????

This request has NOT been met yet, feel free to feel ashamed of your selves.
actually our good friend Redlum posted it a few pages back but it was ignored and buried cos of other crap..

here now, is the reason this whole thread exists, and why LiT will win best picture..

and again

one more time

wonderful.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: P
Quote from: petesimple answer P: no, would you?
no, but it would have been a more realistic portrayal of japanese culture, which i thought was what u wanted.

:?:

No one movie can ever wholly do justice to any kind of reality, let alone an entire specific culture or race, but I'd say Copolla's film was more respectful than this one... which is also an incredibly good movie that has mucho relevance to Western audiences/culture while focusing on what might seem to be Japan-specific attitudes/problems.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pas

Do you remember that part in Lost in Translation when pink-haired Charlotte puts her head on Bob's shoulder ... that was rather touching.

has anyone read Francis Ford Coppola's magazine?  I saw a number today and   opened at the editorial section and   it had a line written by Francis himself that read something like "I  believe heritage is the most important thing".  It's called Zoetrope.
context, context, context.