Lost in Translation

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, September 07, 2003, 11:51:23 PM

Redlum

I just got the DVD delivered real early and the on location documentary is excellent. Its like That Moment except much shorter. Some of it is shot by Spike Jonze. Lots of cool closeups of cameras which I find really interesting. Plus I didn't know it was shot so 'Guerilla-style'.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: ®edlumI just got the DVD delivered real early

How???

Just Withnail

Quote from: ®edlumI just got the DVD delivered real early

Me too. Just watched it yesterday.

xerxes

Quote from: ®edlumI just got the DVD delivered real early and the on location documentary is excellent. Its like That Moment except much shorter. Some of it is shot by Spike Jonze. Lots of cool closeups of cameras which I find really interesting. Plus I didn't know it was shot so 'Guerilla-style'.

where did you order it from?

Redlum

www.movietyme.com

It's only because they ship to the UK though, they dont have to wait for the official release date. They just send them out as soon as they get stock.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

American original: Coppola nom a first

With "Lost in Translation," Sofia Coppola found her way into the history books. The filmmaker received an Academy Award nomination Tuesday for best director, making her the first American woman to be so honored. Only two other women have competed in the category: Italy's Lina Wertmuller, nominated in 1976 for directing "Seven Beauties," and Jane Campion, nominated in 1993 for "The Piano." Coppola -- who also received a best original screenplay for "Translation," which is up for best picture -- was still trying to process the historic accomplishment Tuesday morning over champagne with her ICM agent Bart Walker and the film's producer Ross Katz. "I'm kind of in a daze," Coppola said. "It's been a really exciting morning, and it hasn't hit me yet -- this morning was surreal. It is so hard to believe that there have been so few (female directors nominated). I'm happy to be a part of things changing."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After watching the nominations with Sofia Coppola and her agent Bart Walker of ICM, "Lost in Translation" producer and best picture nominee Ross Katz put in the call to best actor nominee Bill Murray. "It was a rare moment that I happened to reach Bill on-set in Italy (where he's shooting 'The Life Aquatic'), and he was so thrilled and so honored and so proud," Katz said of the usually elusive actor. "There was a long pause, and then he took a deep breath and laughed and said, 'This is incredible.' For me to see Sofia and Bill get recognized like this, it's the greatest honor. It really doesn't get any better; I love these guys so much."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

Finally saw it, I liked it, but that's about all. I don't think it was a great movie. It kept a smile on my face throughout though.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Raikus

Quote from: DerekIt kept a smile on my face throughout though.
How often does a movie do that?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cine

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: DerekIt kept a smile on my face throughout though.
How often does a movie do that?
I was thinking the same thing...

The Perineum Falcon

My town's FINALLY getting it this weekend. Only...5 days before the dvd release? I really have no idea what took so long. Columbus is supposed to be the HQ of Carmike Cinemas, so I don't see why we wouldn't get things much sooner.

I'm excited to see it finally though.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffinAmerican original: Coppola nom a first

With "Lost in Translation," Sofia Coppola found her way into the history books. The filmmaker received an Academy Award nomination Tuesday for best director, making her the first American woman to be so honored. Only two other women have competed in the category: Italy's Lina Wertmuller, nominated in 1976 for directing "Seven Beauties," and Jane Campion, nominated in 1993 for "The Piano." Coppola -- who also received a best original screenplay for "Translation," which is up for best picture -- was still trying to process the historic accomplishment Tuesday morning over champagne with her ICM agent Bart Walker and the film's producer Ross Katz. "I'm kind of in a daze," Coppola said. "It's been a really exciting morning, and it hasn't hit me yet -- this morning was surreal. It is so hard to believe that there have been so few (female directors nominated). I'm happy to be a part of things changing."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After watching the nominations with Sofia Coppola and her agent Bart Walker of ICM, "Lost in Translation" producer and best picture nominee Ross Katz put in the call to best actor nominee Bill Murray. "It was a rare moment that I happened to reach Bill on-set in Italy (where he's shooting 'The Life Aquatic'), and he was so thrilled and so honored and so proud," Katz said of the usually elusive actor. "There was a long pause, and then he took a deep breath and laughed and said, 'This is incredible.' For me to see Sofia and Bill get recognized like this, it's the greatest honor. It really doesn't get any better; I love these guys so much."

That's simply awesome. I didn't think there were only two other women nominated. I know it won't happen, but that would be so cool if she were the first woman to win the award. And I'm still depressed over Scarlett's lack of nomination.

xerxes

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
That's simply awesome. I didn't think there were only two other women nominated. I know it won't happen, but that would be so cool if she were the first woman to win the award. And I'm still depressed over Scarlett's lack of nomination.

i think it would be pretty cool if she won. she definitely deserves it. but peter jackson is going to win, and honestly, i think he might deserve it a little more.

Banky

anyone have a screen cap of the opening shot of SJ's ample behind?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Bankyanyone have a screen cap of the opening shot of SJ's ample behind?
Argh, remind me why Paul Reubens was arrested?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Banky

yeah its hard to jerk off in a packed cinematique