Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

Life Aquatic has been announced for May, details and cover here: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=5888&n=1&burl=

Two interesting facts:

- There obviously is a second cover with the reverse cover flap shown on the single disc and the fact the two disc is shown in a case. Expect the other cover to be the covers like the other Criterion releases.

-This is announced as #300. That means for Criterion to catch up to #300 from the number it is at now they would have to release 11 titles to just catch up. Burden of Dreams, Hoop Dreams and The Phantom of Liberty bring that just down to 8.

Expect Bunuel's The Milky Way also to be announced and maybe a box set of some kind (Eisenstein? Bresson? Mizoguchi? Ozu?)

modage

sweet.  i'm interested to see the other cover.  the poster is okay, but would've been much cooler had they actually staged a photo session to get a picture of everyone inside the ship instead of the rush-job photoshop thing where everyones faces glow and dont look attached to their bodies properly.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

A Matter Of Chance

Hmm. I hope the other cover is Eric Chase Anderson's.

RegularKarate

Strange... has Criterion ever done this before?  Released a one disc and a two disc?  I don't get why they would do that since they shoot for the ultimate version.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: RegularKarateStrange... has Criterion ever done this before?  Released a one disc and a two disc?  I don't get why they would do that since they shoot for the ultimate version.

They released two versions of Fanny and Alexander that included one that was just the theatrical version and then the ultimate disc of the theatrical with the television cut. Then, with the Tennebaums dvd, they took a disc that would have been easily priced at $40 and released it at $30 because  they didn't handle distribution and thus did not control costs (reason why Chasing Amy is now $20).

I think this way they are trying to do both worlds. They want to release a  two disc that falls into their standards of quality and price and then a one disc to satisfy the other company that is distributing the film.

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance Hmm. I hope the other cover is Eric Chase Anderson's.

It will be.

lamas

Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceHmm. I hope the other cover is Eric Chase Anderson's.

something like this?

Myxo

Yay!

Life Aquatic..

I guess Criterion has to release 1 fanatic film for every 10 obscure foreign films it releases.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

A Matter Of Chance

hahaha. . . that makes me so giddy.

yes, i am pathetic.

tpfkabi

yeah, another Wes Anderson commentary.
i like those.

what is that "going deep with wes anderson" pic from?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ghostboy

It's from an interview in Paste Magazine from a few months back.

pete

Quote from: MyxomatosisYay!

Life Aquatic..

I guess Criterion has to release 1 fanatic film for every 10 obscure foreign films it releases.

obscure foreign films?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

i just did a search for the Paste interview and came up wit nuddin.

Ghostboy

Quote from: bigideasi just did a search for the Paste interview and came up wit nuddin.

Never fear, my archiving skills are coming to the rescue.

tpfkabi

good job.

"it's the effing cover."