Upcoming Criterion's (CONFIRMED)

"Le Notti Bianche" (White Nights) 7/12/05 $29.95
"Au Revoir Les Enfants" 7/15/05 $29.95
"Unfaithfully Yours" 7/15/2005 $29.95

and 2 Seijun Suzuki's:
"Story of a Prostitute" 7/26/2005 $29.95
"Gate of Flesh" 7/26/2005 $29.95

PLUS:

THE 49th PARALLEL (1941, Powell & Pressburger)
A CANTEBURY TALE (1944, Powell & Pressburger)
UGETSU MONOGATARI (1954, Kenji Mizoguchi)
MR. ARKADIN (1955, Orson Welles) - possibly two or three of the plethora edits of the film.
John Ford Films
PLAYTIME (Jacques Tati, 1967) new version
JOUR DE FETE (Jacques Tati, 1949)
More Yasujiro Ozu
EISENSTEIN SILENT YEARS boxset (probably containing STRIKE, BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, OCTOBER and others?)
MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S (1969, Eric Rohmer) via Wellspring
CLAIRE'S KNEE (1970, Eric Rohmer) via Wellspring
SEVEN SAMURAI (1954, Akira Kurosawa) Re-Release
HIGH & LOW (1963, Akira Kurosawa) Re-Release

Gold Trumpet

The real news there is the specific release dates for 5 confirmed films. Plus, Au Revoir Les Enfants (a near promised double disc special edition) has been pushed down to $29.95 instead of $39.95 as originally marked.

For the others, they all can come anytime. The Eisenstein Silent Box Set though has been confirmed as not going to be released this year. 2006 at the earliest. And damn, its the one I was waiting for the most.

Also, for Tati fans, also add Trafic to that list. It's been confirmed.

Find Your Magali

But where are the masterworks of Bob Clark?

samsong

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: samsongTrafic too?   :drool:

Also, for clarity on "John Ford films", it looks like it will be only one: Young Mr. Lincoln

Gold Trumpet

Here's a rumor to end all rumors. Courtesy of two posts at the CC forum....

"According to the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, F for Fake is going to contain a 60 Minutes II interview with Clifford Irving. Since CBS (which produces 60 Minutes II) and Paramount are owned by Viacom, I am wondering if Criterion and Viacom have forged a new relationship and will release classics like Il Conformista, 1900, Reds, and The Africa Queen (not really sure if Viacom or Fox owns the rights to this one. Just know it should be released on DVD.). Anyone have any info?"

"During my chat with Tony Rayns, the words "Criterion" and "Il Conformista" were mentioned in one sentence. The implications are obvious."

Pubrick

i love the drama behind the criterion label.

it's all paranoia and political intrigue.
under the paving stones.

lamas

The Conformist, 1900 and Reds?  seems way too good to be true...

Gold Trumpet

JULY RELEASES AND DETAILS

To those who follow this thread, the titles are no shock but all are welcome because all follow Criterion's latest trend of premiere releases at just $29.95. Official Links:

Unfaithfully Yours: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=292

Le notti bianche: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=296

Story of a Prostitute: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=299

Gate of Flesh: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=298

Having seen none of these films, La notti bianche is the only one that really stands out as worth a blind buy pruchase. Viva Marcello Mastroianni!

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

i wonder why Criterion won't put the actual release dates on the site.
is there a place where the actual dates for all Criterions are posted in one convenient place?

the two i am interested in:
Jules et Jim - May 31st
The Life Aquatic - May 10th

i looked these up, but for future reference, please.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideasi wonder why Criterion won't put the actual release dates on the site.
is there a place where the actual dates for all Criterions are posted in one convenient place?

the two i am interested in:
Jules et Jim - May 31st
The Life Aquatic - May 10th

i looked these up, but for future reference, please.

Amazon has most of the dates for the films just announced. Oddly enough, Malle's Au Revoir Les Enfants, which was suppose to be released in July but seemingly is being held back til August, has a July 12th release date according to Amazon.

w/o horse

Hoop Dreams is going to be $17.99 at Best Buy on Tuesday, according to the DVD Talk bargain forum.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

It looks like two very anticipated Luis Bunuel films may actually go to Criterion with recent developments. Even I didn't think Criterion would get a hold of these ones, but some large talk about these films not getting a DVD release may soon be over:

THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL (Buñuel, 1962) - shown in a new transfer on TCM preceded by Janus Films logo.

SIMON OF THE DESERT (Buñuel, 1965) - shown in a new transfer on TCM preceded by Janus Films logo.