Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

lamas

you had me holding my breath thinking The Conformist was coming.  thanks for nothing.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: lamasyou had me holding my breath thinking The Conformist was coming.  thanks for nothing.

The Conformist is an annoucement all on its own. No way could it ever be disguised as just a Bertolucci release. That being said, there's almost no way Criterion will get their hands on it.

Alethia

Gold Trumpet

Universal has kindly decided they will strangle hold that title with no release in the near future even by them. And if they even do release, it will be likely just the chopped up and dubbed american version with the international version still left looking for a release. The one hope is that Bertolucci campaigns himself for getting it to Criterion but its been evident for a while that Bertolucci is playing nice with Criterion and no word of him being nice with The Conformist at all.

Alethia

modage

i've still got that tivo'd from like 6 months ago.  i have yet to work up the desire to watch it.  maybe soon...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

do so.  dammit, this needs a dvd release, it doesn't even have to be criterion! my vhs copy is crappy and it aint getting any younger.

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetUniversal has kindly decided they will strangle hold that title with no release in the near future even by them. And if they even do release, it will be likely just the chopped up and dubbed american version with the international version still left looking for a release. The one hope is that Bertolucci campaigns himself for getting it to Criterion but its been evident for a while that Bertolucci is playing nice with Criterion and no word of him being nice with The Conformist at all.

Universal has licensed titles to Criterion before.  Why would they be stingy with The Conformist?

lamas

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetUniversal has kindly decided they will strangle hold that title with no release in the near future even by them. And if they even do release, it will be likely just the chopped up and dubbed american version with the international version still left looking for a release. The one hope is that Bertolucci campaigns himself for getting it to Criterion but its been evident for a while that Bertolucci is playing nice with Criterion and no word of him being nice with The Conformist at all.

Universal has licensed titles to Criterion before.  Why would they be stingy with The Conformist?

My apologies, the studio in question is actually Paramount.

SoNowThen

I just saw the full Italian version of the Conformist in a theatre here in London.  :twisted: Beautiful. It'd be nice to have on disc...

BUT STILL, Before The Rev is fucking great. Fantastic news. Wonderful wonderful wonderful!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

QuoteI just saw the full Italian version of the Conformist in a theatre here in London.

i need to leave the suburbs.

Ravi

Quote from: eward
QuoteI just saw the full Italian version of the Conformist in a theatre here in London.

i need to leave the suburbs.

I know, right?  David Sedaris' description of seeing a ton of movies in France made me want to move there.

samsong

Quote from: SoNowThenI just saw the full Italian version of the Conformist in a theatre here in London.  :twisted: Beautiful. It'd be nice to have on disc...

BUT STILL, Before The Rev is fucking great. Fantastic news. Wonderful wonderful wonderful!

mmm the same print (full length Italian cut) was shown here in LA last year; i'm having withdrawals.  at this point i don't give a shit who does it, someone needs to put this movie on dvd. one that would do the film justice of course which i guess only leaves criterion.  :yabbse-undecided:

criterion... bresson.... NOW

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: samsongcriterion... bresson.... NOW

The moment I get the word, I'll PM you before even posting it. I really fear you may lose it sooner or later.