Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Ravi

I bought Royal Tenenbaums in its second week of release for $20.  Since studios have started charging extra for some two-disc releases when a one-disc is also released, who knows what the price for this one will be.

mogwai

caps from my private idaho are available here

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: flagpolespeciali don't really care how much life aquatic ends up being. as long as it's not over $40 i think that'll be fair. i'm guessing something around $27 though.

As it stands now, it will be even better. the 2 disc will be priced at $32.99 while the 1 disc $29.99. The small price difference is for rental places and Wal Mart type stores that will carry the 1 disc longer. This means the 2 disc will be as low as $20, give or take a few dollars.

Fjodor

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/coming_soon.asp
Burden of Dreams, Hoop Dreams and The Phantom of Liberty announced in May!! :-D

Gold Trumpet

cine

THANK GOD

I was buying it anyway but see above.

ono

That's really an amazing cover.  Beautiful.

A Matter Of Chance

Alethia

i probably won't be buying it but excellent cover.

planet_jake

I still can't figure out if this movie represents the evolution or de-evolution of Wes Anderson. I suppose the fact that it provokes that kind of question means it's evolution... But just to play it safe I'm buying this DVD! Along with F For Fake, Burden of Dreams and the sweet ass Wadja Boxed set!

Gold Trumpet

CULT LINE COMING?

From a post at CC Forum:

"I just interviewed Criterion producer Susan Arosteguy for the Velvet Light Trap film journal and she mentioned Criterion was working on launching a new cult movie line. It seems likely that the Gordon films (and possibly the Japanese horror films recently bought) will be released under this new banner, whenever it comes out. She didn't offer any details, unfortunately."

There has been talk of this for a few years now with titles that have appeared in the collection that were suppose to be part of it (Carnival of Souls), but with a bunch of new films they have acquired, it finally seems they will make it a go finally to launch their own cult line. Whats most interesting to speculate is how many titles a year will go into this line and if this line will take away from the number of titles they release for the regular Criterion label. Also if there will be a price drop at all for these titles because their demand is even less than the obscure titles they release now.

Fjodor

Gold Trumpet

tpfkabi

so i guess Criterion is releasing both versions.
the 2 disc extras look like they will be great.
the foldout insert of the Belafonte drawn by ECA should be nice.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet