Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

tpfkabi

Quote from: AwkwardAsIAmHoop Dreams is going to be $17.99 at Best Buy on Tuesday, according to the DVD Talk bargain forum.

yes, it was advertised today.

the cheapest price i saw for the 2 Disc edition of The Life Aquatic was $22.99 at Circuit City.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

w/o horse

Can a film snob give me a Hoop Dreams overview?  I mean I'm sure it's good and all, for what it is, but from the perspective of "there's a lot of movies that need to be bought" does it stack up?  Is it something I absolutely need to see?  Enrich my tastes, etc?

Also:  FYE is advertising the 2-disc The Life Aquatic for $14.99 after a $5 rebate.  Even if you're too lazy for the rebate you can get the 2-disc for $20.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: AwkwardAsIAmCan a film snob give me a Hoop Dreams overview?  I mean I'm sure it's good and all, for what it is, but from the perspective of "there's a lot of movies that need to be bought" does it stack up?  Is it something I absolutely need to see?  Enrich my tastes, etc?

i never saw the film essential the way others do. I think one of the key elements to the film's success is that it is a modern documentary that was heralded by a few critics and transpired into a certain financial and cultural success. I really like the film myself. With the cost around $20 online, I also don't see how anyone can go wrong blind buying it.

tpfkabi

Quote from: AwkwardAsIAmAlso:  FYE is advertising the 2-disc The Life Aquatic for $14.99 after a $5 rebate.  Even if you're too lazy for the rebate you can get the 2-disc for $20.

so will all FYE's have this price? the only FYE around here is in a mall, so it seems the prices reflect that. i never even thought of it as a place where i could buy things at the lowest price.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Bethie

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL (Buñuel, 1962) - shown in a new transfer on TCM preceded by Janus Films logo.

SIMON OF THE DESERT (Buñuel, 1965) - shown in a new transfer on TCM preceded by Janus Films logo.

They were on shown on TCM last week. I taped those two along with Los Olvidados, Nazarin, and Viridiana. Five Bunuel films in one day. Prettttty pretttty prettty good.
who likes movies anyway

Cobz

Clouzot's "Wages Of Fear" will become Kaput from The Criterion collection as of May 16th to make way for a supposedly superior transfer and better packed edition, that or Davisdvd.com is trying to say that they no longer own rights to it,

Nehoo, just letting you guys know before it becomes OOP and hence, more expensive

:yabbse-grin:
coin operated boy

modage

yeah its a pretty crappy edition.  it needs to be redone.  (by them or ANYone who will make it better).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Criterion Official Annoucment:

Wages of Fear to Be Rereleased in Late 2005

The original Criterion edition of Henri-Georges Clouzot's masterpiece of suspense Wages of Fear will be taken out of print on May 16 to make room for an all new DVD edition of the film. The rerelease, due out in late 2005, will feature a brilliant transfer from newly restored film elements. Keep an eye on this space for more details in the coming months!

meatball

Weak2ndAct

Quit trying to be Mr. Jokester.  It's growing quite tiresome.

w/o horse

I'm going to say it:  Criterion double dips fucking piss me off.  When I buy Criterion I'm assuming I'm getting the best, that I'm not going to have to worry about another edition.  That's why I pay the money I do to get them.

I'm just bitter I guess, bitter and poor.  I realize that they put out the best editions that they can at the time that they put out an edition.

But still, my M and Wages of Fear are staying exactly as they are.  Fuck it.

End mini-meaningless-rant.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Weak2ndAct

Well, considering that WoF dvd (extra-less, right?) has been out for at least 4 or 5 years, it's nothing compared to the rapings that say Fox or Sony pull these days.  And if they do end up doing a re-release b/c of newly discovered elements, celebrate!

modage

yeah, look at the disc before you buy it.  if there are ZERO extras and the transfer isnt that great.  and it has a spine number between 1-100, then theres a good chance its not the greatest edition or up to the usual (current) criterion standards.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: themodernage02and it has a spine number between 1-100,
I thought if it was a reissue they kept the original spine number, they did that with M.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gold Trumpet

Every re-issue has kept the same spine number, even the 400 Blows when it had a single digit number and boxed on re-issue with films in the hundred-somethings for spine number.

Criterion isn't double dipping to double dip. They are re-issuing films that are just coming out with better transfers. The transfers for the original DVDs are the best they could have gotten at the time. For a company that specilizes in older films, better transfers popping up is bound to happen. Just be happy they have never re-issed a modern film when elements to produce the best DVD possible are available.