Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: WalrusOh shit, that one's much cooler.

how the hell is it cooler? its the same fucking image

I'VE BEEN DUPED!!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Walrus
Quote from: WalrusOh shit, that one's much cooler.

how the hell is it cooler? its the same fucking image

I'VE BEEN DUPED!!

you sure have - how does it feel?

whats that image on your avatar - is that from a film you made? i hope not
...your excuses are your own...

Gamblour.

I like the Pickpocket image, except it looks like he only has four fingers.
WWPTAD?

The Red Vine

I like the Pickpocket cover too. Has anybody seen the movie?
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Alethia

whats that image on your avatar - is that from a film you made? i hope not

its an episode of stella.

and i have a crappy copy of pickpocket on vhs....bresson's masterpiece, i think, that and devil, probably (which i also have a crappy vhs copy of)....

Ravi

What are the chances of Criterion releasing Dersu Uzala?  Has Criterion ever re-released a Kino title?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: RaviWhat are the chances of Criterion releasing Dersu Uzala?  Has Criterion ever re-released a Kino title?

I would say not very good. There may be a few Kino titles that transferred to Criterion, but I don't know of any. Also, for a filmmaker as widely discussed in Criterion rumor circles for possible releases as Kurosawa is, Dersu Uzala never hits even the radar.

analogzombie

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: RaviWhat are the chances of Criterion releasing Dersu Uzala?  Has Criterion ever re-released a Kino title?

I would say not very good. There may be a few Kino titles that transferred to Criterion, but I don't know of any. Also, for a filmmaker as widely discussed in Criterion rumor circles for possible releases as Kurosawa is, Dersu Uzala never hits even the radar.

Besides, they've got Drunken Angel, The Bad Sleep Well and a Seven Samurai reissue to work on before they even begin to think about that garbage.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Ravi

modage

a tidbit of old news from the just released Director's Label Series compilation with Mark Romanek...

Spike Jonze: So you've been working on this for a long time, this compilation.  How many years?

Mark Romanek: Well, I was asked to do one with Criterion initially, like over five years ago. We spent a year and a half working on that, but then it fell apart.  So it's been, I don't know, well over seix oe seven years.  It's good that it took so long, because there's way more stuff on hte DVD now.

interesting.  i wonder why it fell through, and i wonder if outside of the beastie boys and romanek if crierion had intended to release more music video compilations before directors label was formed?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

question:  i got naked.  is the comm. track from the criterion laserdisc?  hasnt one of the participants passed away?

analogzombie

Quote from: NEON MERCURYquestion:  i got naked.  is the comm. track from the criterion laserdisc?  hasnt one of the participants passed away?

yes, i do believe it is a port from the laserdisc.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

grand theft sparrow

Attention Jodorowsky fans!

So... I went on a job interview last week.  The job was for restoring a "70s cult movie" as the ad said.  It turns out that the movie in question was El Topo.  

I didn't get the job  :yabbse-angry: but at least I came away from the whole thing with some bit of useful information.  The job would have entailed scanning all sorts of pics, drawings, etc., for the eventual Criterion edition of the movie; the film itself is already restored.  Their target for finishing all of this is early November.  So, it looks like sometime in 2006, El Topo Criterion will be hitting the shelves.  

They may be working on The Holy Mountain as well but I'm not 100% on that.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: hacksparrowAttention Jodorowsky fans!

So... I went on a job interview last week.  The job was for restoring a "70s cult movie" as the ad said.  It turns out that the movie in question was El Topo.  

I didn't get the job  :yabbse-angry: but at least I came away from the whole thing with some bit of useful information.  The job would have entailed scanning all sorts of pics, drawings, etc., for the eventual Criterion edition of the movie; the film itself is already restored.  Their target for finishing all of this is early November.  So, it looks like sometime in 2006, El Topo Criterion will be hitting the shelves.  

They may be working on The Holy Mountain as well but I'm not 100% on that.

thats pretty amazing - I've heard rumblings about Sante Sangre getting the treatment as well.
...your excuses are your own...