Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

cine

Oh David Fincher... it feels like only yesterday when you had the most popular forum..

Gold Trumpet

Introducing Orson Welles as director to the Criterion Collection............

according to Amazon.ca, Orson Welles F for Fake is coming in April. Also coming is Divorce, Italian Style.

F for Fake: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007M2234/701-7672624-8680334

Divorce, Italian Style: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007M222A/701-7672624-8680334

Official annoucements coming soon!

tpfkabi

i wish they would put all their energy into finding the mysterious rumored original version of the Magnificent Ambersons.

hell, i would just love a DVD of the butchered version!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideasi wish they would put all their energy into finding the mysterious rumored original version of the Magnificent Ambersons.

hell, i would just love a DVD of the butchered version!

Blame Warners. Though the original is likely lost, they hold all rights to the film and are sitting on it with a policy of not leasing to to third companies at all. I'm sure Criterion gets a number of replies asking for it with nothing to do.

SoNowThen

Please please PLEASE, all of you who haven't seen Divorce, Italian Style -- make sure you blind buy it! Such a fantastic, funny film...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

samsong

cover art for F for Fake (gorgeous) and Divorce, Italian Style

Ravi

F is For Fake

I'm interested in this extra:

Orson Welles: One-Man Band (1988), an hour-long investigation of Welles's unfinished projects

Alethia

my my, what excellent covers those are.

ono

Anything for proof that the bad My Own Private Idaho and Jules et Jim covers were flukes.  Me likey.

Gamblour.

YES! That it is...just amazing. I want them!
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

In the pipeline, a new array of films join the prestigious rumor mill list. Come one, come all, but let us assume maybe only one will care. Enjoy:

THE 49th PARALLEL (Powell & Pressburger) - mentioned at AMMI talk

A CANTERBURY TALE (Powell & Pressburger) - mentioned at AMMI talk

HEAVEN CAN WAIT (Lubitsch, 1943) - somebody's Prof is working on it (if he hasn't been sacked).

KAPĂ’ (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1959) - shown in a new transfer on TCM preceded by Janus Films logo.

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH [Il Momento della veritĂ ] (Francesco Rosi, 1965) - verified solid source.

YOUNG MR. LINCOLN (Ford, 1939) - TCM website review of Peter Cowie's new book says he has recorded a commentary for the film.

LE PROCES DE JEANNE D'ARC (1962, Robert Bresson) shown in a new transfer on TCM preceded by Janus Films logo

john

More Powell and Pressburger? Best Criterion news so far this year.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

samsong

As expected a rumored Bresson release has gotten me all giddy inside, but where the FUCK are Au Hasard Balthazar and Mouchette... and Playtime?!

After seeing The Battle of Algiers, anything Pontecorvo is welcomed.

Alethia

le proces de jean d'arc and heaven can wait are two of the best rumored titles to reach my ears in quite some time

Gold Trumpet

More Welles and Bertolucci coming from Criterion?

First, word from a USA Today article that Criterion will release Bertolucci's early film, "Before The Revolution":

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2005-02-03-bertolucci-dvd_x.htm

"And Criterion is restoring another of his films, Before the Revolution (1964). At 64, he jokes, 'I wish they could restore the directors.'"

Also, look for a release soon on Orson Welles' Confidential Report if this post is any indication:

Next week, Jim Naremore and I are recording a joint commentary for
the Criterion DVD of ARKADIN (the Corinth version),; Stefan's
version will also be on the disc.

Jonathan

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/a_film_by/message/22199