Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

tpfkabi

i like Stage Names, too. my favorite song being the one with glockenspiel or whatever - i think track 4.
then Rilo, Eisley, New P's came out, too, so i haven't listened much.
got the edition with the demo versions - anyone listened to that much?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Stefen

So far so good. Haven't finished it yet.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Something different for Rilo Kiley and for Jenny Lewis and I like it very much. Especially the Fl3etwood Mac sounds.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

tpfkabi

UTB is a fun record.
I haven't heard much Fleetwood, but the song I see compaired most is Dreamworld.
Is this accurate?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

PJ Harveys new album is boring to me. Maybe it's a grower, but as of right now, I just don't find it exciting at all.

When did the new Band of Horses leak? Had to have been during the day today cause I just added it to my requests on Oink this morning. I hate when things leak when I'm at work and I miss out on the ratio bump.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

on first three listens Band Of Horses new one is pretty good.  i'm not sure if Ode To LRC, No One's Gonna Love You and Lamb Of The Lam live up to Wicked Gil, The Funeral and Weed Party, but they're still really good.  it must've leaked today because i hadn't heard about it leaking anywhere online yet.  somebody at work actually passed it to me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

john

Quote from: Redlum on September 07, 2007, 03:28:54 PM

Something different for Rilo Kiley and for Jenny Lewis and I like it very much. Especially the Fl3etwood Mac sounds.

Eh.... more soft rock for secretaries. It seems rare nowadays that a band simply wants to rock. Cute clothes, eyeglasses and faux-rock. I can't relate to it at all. Wish I could, but I can't. Ben Gbbard, Iron and Wine, The Decemberists, Rilo Kiley, The Shins... all seem like nice, well-read people. But their music bores me to tears.

And I've been called out for my boring taste in music... maybe I just like my boring bands to be a decade older... Michael Penn, David Garza, Aimee Mann, Robyn Hitchcock... that's shit I can roll with.

As far as the yong kids go: Be Your Own Pet's albm is a nice pretense-free half-hour of rock that I can listen too.

I've also been catching up on Queens of the Stone Age for the very same reason... they actually want to rock.

And I kinda dig Jenny Lewis' solo album, too.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

Mod, where do you work that you get leaks first? Get me an application.

Redlum

Quote from: bigideas on September 07, 2007, 04:20:48 PM
UTB is a fun record.
I haven't heard much Fleetwood, but the song I see compaired most is Dreamworld.
Is this accurate?

Yeah. It's really only that track specifically. But the whole album feels a lot like Rumours to me. Just because of the track variety and catchiness.

John, I think can relate to your general disenchantment. A band in the limelight that epitomises bland rock on the radio for me right now is 30 Seconds From Mars.

To an extent some of Rilo Kiley's stuff falls into the same musical malaise (Take Offs and Landings) but this new one is more pop than droning rock.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Stefen

UTB is nothing like Fleetwood Mac.

SPIN magazine made that dumb comparison and now everyone is picking up on it. They got about as much in common with Fleetwood Mac as No Doubt does.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate on September 04, 2007, 02:33:20 PM
Quote from: modage on September 04, 2007, 01:55:50 PM
just to follow up i practically have no stopped listening to the Okkervil River album since i posted it here.  i am OBSESSED.
Mod, have you gone back to listen to Black Sheep Boy yet?  I love Stage Names, but BSB is definitely the better of the two.

to follow up a bit (again), on an impulse at work one day i bought tickets to their show here in a few weeks.  i got home to put it on my calendar and realized that the opening night of the NYFF is the same night which is Darjeeling Limited.  to make matters work i ordered Will Call tickets so i'm not sure if i can even sell or give my ticket away.  however in a stroke of luck, possibly the $260 worth of film fest tickets i ordered apparently i'm only getting $120 so its very possible that i may be able to go to this show anyway if i don't get Darjeeling tickets!  its crazy because i'm not even sure if i do or don't want to get the Darjeeling tickets now, i guess we'll find out in a few days.

Stage Names is prob in my top 3 albums of the year so far and i've only had it a week.  i listened to it almost non-stop all week at work, like upwards of 25 spins (i checked the play count), and i also passed it along to about a dozen people several of which are already as obsessive as i am.  RK, have you heard the solo demos for TSN?  and do you have the emusic bonus track Love To A Monster? i didn't realize it was a bonus track until just a few min ago and may actually be my 2nd favorite song on the album.

so

now playing:

last days of gerry the elephant

Good... real good. I'm just so tired, I only came to check for updates and post this here. Maybe I'll revisit this post tomorrow...