Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Morrissey - "You Have Killed Me" single (downloaded from iTunes)

...why anything else?

I kind of like "I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor," but that's the only Arctic Monkeys I've heard. They're not as good as The Libertines, but the vocals and energy sort of remind me of them. Based on the (probably insufficient) evidence of this one song, I don't think they sound anything like Shed Seven, though that could definitely be said of poor, awful Starsailor.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

yeah, libertines first album was really good.  and now there seems to be a wave of bands wishing they were that.  including Babyshambles (nowhere near as good), Libertines second album (ditto), and the closest comparison to Arctic Monkeys i can think of Razorlight (remember them?  me neither).  so to me, Arctic Monkeys are the new Razorlight.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

penfold0101

with the artic album all the songs follow a very similar pattern, it just makes them sound too much alike. You look good on the dance floor and when the sun goes down are the best two songs on the album, I'll give an honorable mention to Dancing Shoes, because it sounds different from the rest of the album. I'd say its worth a listen but it isn't worth buying

Babyshambles are all round awful they get buckets full of promo from their junkie lead singer, who it seems every week gets caught in possession of heroin or crack.....or both! then tells everyone he is going to rehab and gets caught again next week!

I like Razorlight tho, i find there music has real energy, i went to see them last year in Alexander Palace and the crowed was really going for it, more so than i've seen for a while. The lead singer does really want to be Iggy Pop i think! his stage presence and actions all quite similar!

Ive gone back to listening to.........

IMHO they are a damn fine and underrated band!
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

the streets' when you wasn't famous.

and next:
context, context, context.

godardian

Quote from: modage on February 14, 2006, 02:20:52 PM
yeah, libertines first album was really good.  and now there seems to be a wave of bands wishing they were that.  including Babyshambles (nowhere near as good), Libertines second album (ditto), and the closest comparison to Arctic Monkeys i can think of Razorlight (remember them?  me neither).  so to me, Arctic Monkeys are the new Razorlight.

I actually have a reverse impression of The Libertines' albums. While "What a Waster" is incomparable, I feel the second is a classic album, while the first is about half brilliant and half odds 'n sods. Not bad by any means, but I think they outdid themselves the second time around. I can listen to the album all the way through, start to finish every time, though I do start to get eager when I know "What Katie Did" is nearing. . . . I'm afraid to listen to Babyshambles. Everyone whose opinion I trust says it's mediocre at best and not worth the effort.

I have never heard Razorlight. In fact, I'm not sure I've even heard OF them until just now.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

i agree with all of that. the second libertines album wasn't sloppy at all, i think it's quite tight actually, made with punk-rock perfectionism if that makes sense. it's definetely a classic rock album now and one of the few i've ever witnessed. it had the stuff of legend even before it came out. some of the lyrics are amazing. it's kind of like an unintentional 'concept' album, the concept being carl and pete's love hate relationship. and watching them going to hell soap opera style was sad at first, cos you kind of hoped that pete would come to his senses and stop self-destructing, but then it got awful and boring.  too bad ALL of those guys' projects suck. the babyshambles album even has a fucking reggae song. i think carl barat's band came this sunday to mexico and no one cared.
context, context, context.

Redlum

After Cronopio switched me on to Jenny Lewis, Im now loving this album:

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

godardian

"There's more to life than Moz, you know, but not much more. . . ."

samsong

new order - get ready

ShanghaiOrange

And this time, I'm gonna go the whole way through Moonchild.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Redlum

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange on February 15, 2006, 02:28:46 PM
And this time, I'm gonna go the whole way through Moonchild.

Great album. A precursor to the Pink Floyd sound I think. I remember being extremely scared by that album sleeve when going through my parents records as a kid.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

i may have already mentioned this but godardian, have you heard these guys?  if you like the thrills (as i seem to recall you introducing me to) this band would make awesome tourmates with them.  because they have a similar sunny poppy sound.  so if you havent already you should check them out.  atleast samples some 30sec clips on iTunes or someplace to see what i'm talking about.

Reinhold

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 14, 2006, 01:24:42 PM
it's no Yoshimi

sure looks like it's trying to be, though.

i'm listening to the unreleased elliott smith tracks.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

Quote from: permanent username on February 16, 2006, 11:22:09 AM
Quote from: RegularKarate on February 14, 2006, 01:24:42 PM
it's no Yoshimi

sure looks like it's trying to be, though.

what do you mean? "looks"? from the album art? or have you actually listened to it?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche