Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

wilberfan

The Hollywood Reporter review is excellent.  Away from home, so haven't read everything yet, but that one was spot on. Only minor quibbles from me.   :yabbse-thumbup:

Yes

Alethia

pynchonikon

Yep, these are definitely minor reviews for this apparently minor film.

wrongright

Quote from: Yes on November 15, 2021, 03:34:13 PM
Wrongright really took the L on this one

We'll have to see if it sustains. THR and especially the Vanity Fair reviews complain about the aimless 2nd half. Do you see that as becoming a problem?

Alethia

Nope. And it's not aimless at all. First viewing it

Spoiler: ShowHide
(I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, but what the hell) the Joel Wachs section, essentially the third act

felt a bit baggy to me, but the second viewing, with the knowledge of where it was all going, went down smooth and tight as could be.

thehed

Quote from: wrongright on November 15, 2021, 03:38:41 PM

We'll have to see if it sustains. THR and especially the Vanity Fair reviews complain about the aimless 2nd half. Do you see that as becoming a problem?

One time question. What are your favourite movies?

wrongright

Quote from: thehed on November 15, 2021, 03:50:12 PM
Quote from: wrongright on November 15, 2021, 03:38:41 PM

One time question. What are your favourite movies?

Favorite PTA movie? Either BN or TWBB. Favorite overall movies? Nashville, Blue Velvet, and Notorious (Hitchcock).

Lots of Bees

95 on metacritic lol let's fucking go

Yeah ik they always go down but damn good start w 12 reviews

pynchonikon

Licorice Pizza's initial reviews are better that Phantom Thread's.

wrongright

Quote"Licorice Pizza" is messy, passionate, flawed, brilliant, and, really, just all over the place. It's going to polarize many. This isn't going for Oscars, and all the better for it. I don't consider this to be a review as much as a way for me to put down all the thoughts I have on the film. I'm honestly not quite sure where it ranks in the PTA oeuvre, it's definitely not as hefty as his best films, but it's a worthy addition."

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2021/11/qglxy64w4jm8ld4ruwxvi92nexefj2

I wonder what Owen Gleiberman, Variety critic (but didn't review this one yet), thinks of it. He's sort of the leader of the "why can't he make Boogie Nights again" group. That would be a test of how accessible it is.

Lewton

Quote from: polkablues on November 13, 2021, 03:43:50 AM
The important thing is that we can all agree that accessibility is the main quality we look for in a film. Walk out of the theater in awe, eyes moist with tears... "My god, it was so... accessible."