Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on August 07, 2021, 07:23:03 PM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 06:25:12 AM
Quote from: Yes on August 07, 2021, 02:56:09 AM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 02:18:36 AM
Quote from: Yes on August 06, 2021, 07:05:27 PM
I don't think it's getting postponed but if it's running this late/skipping fests then it probably should be

I'm just annoyed fanboys are clearly wrong yet confident about what they're posting when everything regarding history contradicts them

What stuff regarding history are you even talking about.?

That all PTA movies but Phantom Thread have done festival circuit (which wasn't a surprise since that's common for Dec films and it had short production), many even appearing at NYFF. And the absence of festivals are bad omens for award success (not that I care but you said fests aren't be all/end all when the history says otherwise).

All I'm trying to say is that this film's entire trajectory and rollout has been concerning. Lots of red flags. I'm not very optimistic but hope I'm wrong and proven otherwise,

You say lots of red flags but all you have mentioned is the fact it hasnt gone to a festival.  Plus that guy that wrote that article in the link said this about Pauls films        "Maybe, but I don't think PTA is cooking with the old high-test these days. To me the PTA show peaked somewhere between Punch-Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood and started to gradually lose the mojo with The Master ('12), Inherent Vice ('14) and Phantom Thread "

So i dont know why i should take anything he says seriously.

He's an insider with sources, which is more than you. And besides, he can't have an opinion? I dont agree but let's not act as if some people didn't fully grasp The Master and Vice compared to his earlier films

Ok hes an insider yet didnt give anything but an opinion.

He gave us nothing we didnt all ready know from other news articles .

Fuzzy Dunlop

Wells is famously known for being a total joke lol.

Most mornings I regret starting this thread  :doh:

Yes

Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 08:24:38 PM
Quote from: Yes on August 07, 2021, 07:23:03 PM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 06:25:12 AM
Quote from: Yes on August 07, 2021, 02:56:09 AM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 02:18:36 AM
Quote from: Yes on August 06, 2021, 07:05:27 PM
I don't think it's getting postponed but if it's running this late/skipping fests then it probably should be

I'm just annoyed fanboys are clearly wrong yet confident about what they're posting when everything regarding history contradicts them

What stuff regarding history are you even talking about.?

That all PTA movies but Phantom Thread have done festival circuit (which wasn't a surprise since that's common for Dec films and it had short production), many even appearing at NYFF. And the absence of festivals are bad omens for award success (not that I care but you said fests aren't be all/end all when the history says otherwise).

All I'm trying to say is that this film's entire trajectory and rollout has been concerning. Lots of red flags. I'm not very optimistic but hope I'm wrong and proven otherwise,

You say lots of red flags but all you have mentioned is the fact it hasnt gone to a festival.  Plus that guy that wrote that article in the link said this about Pauls films        "Maybe, but I don't think PTA is cooking with the old high-test these days. To me the PTA show peaked somewhere between Punch-Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood and started to gradually lose the mojo with The Master ('12), Inherent Vice ('14) and Phantom Thread "

So i dont know why i should take anything he says seriously.

He's an insider with sources, which is more than you. And besides, he can't have an opinion? I dont agree but let's not act as if some people didn't fully grasp The Master and Vice compared to his earlier films

Ok hes an insider yet didnt give anything but an opinion.

He gave us nothing we didnt all ready know from other news articles .

He literally said he heard PTA was possible for NYFF, why are you denying that?

Variety also reported in summer, Soggy Bottom was in talks for Cannes https://trib.al/8qq1xzX

Yes

I'm just trying to explain how MGM seems intent on premiering at festivals but hasn't happened yet for whatever reason. And the total lack of news adds to the oddness. Why that's so impossible for this Matt dude to understand, I dont know.

Yes

Quote from: Drill on August 07, 2021, 09:03:12 AM
Quote from: pynchonikon on August 07, 2021, 08:42:04 AM
Quote from: Drill on August 07, 2021, 08:22:24 AM
There Will Be Blood didn't really do the "festival circuit". It was a surprise screening at one little festival. He may do the same with this. And that was the closest he's gotten to winning an Oscar. And why is Jeff Wells being brought up?

The main argument concerning TWWB and Phantom Thread is that they both had the same big draw (DDL) and didn't really need any festival run in order to be noticed by the audiences or the AMPAAS.

It's not like Phantom Thread was a box office hit. I'm sure DDL was obviously a help in terms of Oscars, but I doubt any PTA film has ever gone underseen by Awards voters (If that's what we're arguing.). I'm sure it comes down more to how accessible they are rather than who's in it. The Master and Inherent Vice wouldn't have done that much better even if he had starred in them.

FWIW, they love to shower Bradley Cooper with nominations. And I bet everyone in the industry is going to be curious about Philip Seymour Hoffman's son.

I agree with Pynchon. And Drill, Oh, you're SO close to getting it. I'm just wondering about overall accessibility of this movie. More news, premieres at festivals would alleviate many of those worries. We have no idea what this still is. Seemingly only 1 star and rest of ensemble mostly unknowns or kids. It's ok to put aside PTA stanning and have some natural and genuine anxieties about a mostly unknown movie.

Yes

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on August 07, 2021, 07:25:13 AM
Yes has created a new philosophical thought experiment: If a movie doesn't premiere at a festival - particularly NYFF, his festival of choice - then does it even exist?

Actually, my festival of choice would be Telluride!

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on August 07, 2021, 09:26:11 PM
Yes has created a new philosophical thought experiment: If a movie doesn't premiere at a festival - particularly NYFF, his festival of choice - then does it even exist?

I'm not acting like there cant be any delay. Of course anything during these recent  times could happen with films.

However just because marketing hasn't  started  and we only know of 1 big star in it I've no reason to really get worried that this film will be bad.

I dont understand why  you dont get what I'm saying to be honest. 

Yes

Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 10:42:26 PM

I'm not acting like there cant be any delay. Of course anything during these recent  times could happen with films.

However just because marketing hasn't  started  and we only know of 1 big star in it I've no reason to really get worried that this film will be bad.

I think the lack of festival news so far is a pretty big reason to worry but obviously you won't comprehend why so I'll just finally leave it at that

Jeremy Blackman

I know passions are high in this thread, and probably for good reason, but let's try to steer away from personal insults territory.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 08, 2021, 12:52:41 AM
I know passions are high in this thread, and probably for good reason, but let's try to steer away from personal insults territory.

Even in cases where the other person is both ugly and dumb?

(Just kidding)

I'm just looking forward to any news, whatever it may be. Hope we'll get something soon.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on August 07, 2021, 11:06:45 PM

I think the lack of festival news so far is a pretty big reason to worry but obviously you won't comprehend why so I'll just finally leave it at that

Again I bring up Phantom Thread.

Please understand where I'm coming from its not to hard to comprehend  and it's annoying having to keep this conversation going.

I haven't  the time it interferes with my time worshipping my PTA shrine  every second of every day.

Yes

Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 08, 2021, 05:22:17 AM

Please understand where I'm coming from its not to hard to comprehend  and it's annoying having to keep this conversation going.

I haven't  the time it interferes with my time worshipping my PTA shrine  every second of every day.

Again, Phantom Thread and this film aren't comparable. Different productions, different timetables, different releases, different trajectories, Phantom was never expected to premiere at festivals.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on August 08, 2021, 07:10:22 PM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 08, 2021, 05:22:17 AM

Again, Phantom Thread and this film aren't comparable. Different productions, different timetables, different releases, different trajectories, Phantom was never expected to premiere at festivals.

Well Maybe Soggy wasnt either. Just because the festivals wanted it nothing had previously been said that it was DEFINITELY going to one.

wilberfan

Quote from: Yes on July 27, 2021, 04:12:52 AM
Mary Elizabeth Ellis is credited as Sue Mengers on wiki

Remember, Mengers has long been a rumored character and she was Streisand's agent

It's in the zeitgeist:

Jennifer Lawrence and Paolo Sorrentino Project, About Hollywood Superagent Sue Mengers, Sparks Bidding War

QuoteDeadline reports that Lawrence is circling the Mengers project and director Paolo Sorrentino (The Young Pope) is already attached, with streaming services like Apple TV+ and Netflix looking to scoop it up. Lauren Schuker Blum, Rebecca Angelo, and John Logan wrote the screenplay. Mengers was an "agent who crashed the Hollywood boys club of agenting ... brandishing an outsized personality to go with her client list."

She was most active during the New Hollywood era in the late '60s, '70s, and early '80s. According to Deadline, her client list included such names as Barbra Streisand, Candice Bergen, Peter Bogdanovich, Michael Caine, Dyan Cannon, Cher, Joan Collins, Brian De Palma, Faye Dunaway, Bob Fosse, Gene Hackman, Sidney Lumet, Ali McGraw, Steve McQueen, Mike Nichols, Nick Nolte, Tatum O'Neal, Ryan O'Neal, Anthony Perkins, Burt Reynolds, Cybill Shepherd, Gore Vidal, Richard Benjamin, Paula Prentiss, and Tuesday Weld.

PaulElroy35