Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

PinkTeeth

New Name, Same Typos.

Yes

July was early, I would expect something this month. NYFF is fully announced soon and so is Telluride end of month.

Drill

Almodóvar's new film is the Closing Night film at NYFF. So, no NYFF...

kingfan011

Quote from: Drill on August 03, 2021, 12:05:40 PM
Almodóvar's new film is the Closing Night film at NYFF. So, no NYFF...

Fascinating I really thought one of the 3 gala slots of NYFF would be it.

pynchonikon

There is a small chance that Barry Jenkins (guest director of this year's Telluride) has managed to grab the Soggy WP, even though no PTA film has ever screened in the Telluride FF.

But I think it's about time to just relax a bit and prepare ourselves for the bad scenarios  :yabbse-sad:

kingfan011

Quote from: pynchonikon on August 03, 2021, 12:54:53 PM
There is a small chance that Barry Jenkins (guest director of this year's Telluride) has managed to grab the Soggy WP, even though no PTA film has ever screened in the Telluride FF.

But I think it's about time to just relax a bit and prepare ourselves for the bad scenarios  :yabbse-sad:

That would be wild him doing Telluride

Yes

Yeah no idea what's going on unfortunately. Just hoping movie is actually good, all this is suspicious

Telluride would be amazing and promising

wrongright

Maybe he's still waiting for Greenwood's score (assuming he's still going with him)? With 2 other films and a new band/album, he could just now be getting around to this. Though I can't imagine film-wise PTA not being his first priority, and that's not how they've worked together in the past.

Either way, not a great sign for a film that already has a release date. The Telluride/Barry Jenkins theory could be true/the best case scenario. This film being dead quiet with most people not even knowing it exists is worrisome though. The new Adam McKay is already dropping TV teasers and that still doesn't even have a release date. Bradley Cooper in a small role is not going to be enough to help this film's visibility. Especially when he's the star of another, bigger film coming out probably at the same time. Again, I'm not seeing any real plan/goal for this. Maybe it isn't good? MGM's slate so far this year has been dreadful.

Tdog

Is Soggy Bottom the Elden Ring of the film world?

Drenk

I know that's an internet running gag, but Elden Ring received a full trailer two years after the release of the previous From Software game. That could be described as fast, considering how difficult and chaotic game development can be. Nothing was out of the ordinary with Elden Ring, and nothing is out of the ordinary with Soggy Bottom.

Ascension.

RudyBlatnoyd

Somehow I doubt this is PTA's The Day The Clown Cried just because it doesn't have a slot at NYFF. I jest, but seriously, some of you guys need to calm down a little I think.

As Drenk says, I'm sure all will be revealed in due course.

RudyBlatnoyd

Having said that, given the backlog of Oscar-friendly titles gunning for the awards this year, because of the delays caused by the pandemic, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for its absence from festival slates so far is that MGM and Anderson have decided to postpone Soggy Bottom's release until sometime in 2022 to give it more of a chance of gaining attention. Perhaps an announcement of a postponed release is forthcoming, who knows...

jviness02

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on August 03, 2021, 05:56:00 PM
Having said that, given the backlog of Oscar-friendly titles gunning for the awards this year, because of the delays caused by the pandemic, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for its absence from festival slates so far is that MGM and Anderson have decided to postpone Soggy Bottom's release until sometime in 2022 to give it more of a chance of gaining attention. Perhaps an announcement of a postponed release is forthcoming, who knows...

I will kill myself if this is postponed.

All joking aside, Phantom Thread's trailer didn't  drop until October 23rd. Soggy Bottom comes out a month earlier, so that means we're officially late on major news if we have nothing else by September 23rd. That's still a long ways away.

PaulElroy35

Even though its not impossible for it to be cancelled which I hope it wont be has any one thought it's not going to festivals simply because Paul and the team might still be editing the film.

We know it didnt go to Cannes because it wasnt edited and done that still might be the case.  I mean with covid it may have slowed editing down.

Obviously we know he was finishing up the film down to the wire with Phantom Thread and that's while it didnt make the festival circuit .

Also after that happened  with PT he may have also realised he didn't need to premiere 
Soggy it at any.

Just because a  film doesnt go to a  festival doesnt make it bad or that it has problems with it. Festivals arent the be all and end all.

Films that dont go to them can still be great and successful in the box office or with critics and the academy. Example again Phantom Thread.

Theres still 3 months and 3 weeks before the said date of the limited release . Still plenty of time to have a press release on the cast a poster and a trailer in that space.

Yes

Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 04, 2021, 05:39:18 AM
Even though its not impossible for it to be cancelled which I hope it wont be has any one thought it's not going to festivals simply because Paul and the team might still be editing the film.

We know it didnt go to Cannes because it wasnt edited and done that still might be the case.  I mean with covid it may have slowed editing down.

Obviously we know he was finishing up the film down to the wire with Phantom Thread and that's while it didnt make the festival circuit .

Also after that happened  with PT he may have also realised he didn't need to premiere 
Soggy it at any.

Just because a  film doesnt go to a  festival doesnt make it bad or that it has problems with it. Festivals arent the be all and end all.

Films that dont go to them can still be great and successful in the box office or with critics and the academy. Example again Phantom Thread.

Theres still 3 months and 3 weeks before the said date of the limited release . Still plenty of time to have a press release on the cast a poster and a trailer in that space.

HOW MANY TIMES DOES IT NEED REPEATED

This CANNOT be compared to Phantom Thread. For the millionth time, Phantom Thread didn’t begin production until Jan, it was ALWAYS going to be a late release with no festivals which IS COMMON

Soggy Bottom filmed last year and has a Nov release. It’s UNCOMMON to skip festivals in this scenario.

EVERY film of his debuted at a fest besides Magnolia and Phantom.. because they were LATE DECEMBER RELEASES (Magnolia went to Berlin after release)

Hard Eight- Sundance, Cannes
Boogie Nights- TIFF, NYFF
Punch Drunk Love- Cannes, TIFF, NYFF
There Will Be Blood- Fantastic Fest
The Master- Venice, TIFF
Inherent Vice- NYFF, AFI