Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

jviness02

Quote from: Yes on August 06, 2021, 07:05:27 PM
I don't think it's getting postponed but if it's running this late/skipping fests then it probably should be

I'm just annoyed fanboys are clearly wrong yet confident about what they're posting when everything regarding history contradicts them

You are literally the only person here posting with confidence that they are 100% right. Everyone else is clearly just speculating. Chill out.

wilberfan

Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths.

--George R. R. Martin

Here's to late December. 
(Or, if I'm lucky, late November!)

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on August 06, 2021, 07:06:22 PM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 06, 2021, 02:54:48 PM
Quote from: Yes on August 06, 2021, 04:33:34 AM
But it's meaningless

Truly cannot understand why this is so incomprehensible for some of you. There's being optimistic, and then.. whatever this is

I get that you might think it might get postponed i understand thats unfortunately  not impossible.  However it just seems like you want it to be.

And like I said there hasnt  been any real sign that it might be.

Lets just hope nothing changes and it's ready in time for the planned release at the end of the year yeah.

Why would I want a film from my favorite director postponed, genius? Especially when I planned on attending NYFF

This would make more sense if it was originally  slated to appear at NYFF but it never was.

PaulElroy35

I don't think it's getting postponed but if it's running this late/skipping fests then it probably should be

I'm just annoyed fanboys are clearly wrong yet confident about what they're posting when everything regarding history contradicts them

What stuff regarding history are you even talking about.?

Yes

Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 02:15:22 AM
Quote from: Yes on August 06, 2021, 07:06:22 PM
Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 06, 2021, 02:54:48 PM
Quote from: Yes on August 06, 2021, 04:33:34 AM
But it’s meaningless

Truly cannot understand why this is so incomprehensible for some of you. There’s being optimistic, and then.. whatever this is

I get that you might think it might get postponed i understand thats unfortunately  not impossible.  However it just seems like you want it to be.

And like I said there hasnt  been any real sign that it might be.

Lets just hope nothing changes and it's ready in time for the planned release at the end of the year yeah.

Why would I want a film from my favorite director postponed, genius? Especially when I planned on attending NYFF

This would make more sense if it was originally  slated to appear at NYFF but it never was.

It was rumored and expected by many. He already had previous movies at NYFF and the release made it seem possible if not likely. and I live nearby
https://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2021/07/ptas-foggy-bottom-aimed-at-nyff/

Yes

Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 02:18:36 AM
I don’t think it’s getting postponed but if it’s running this late/skipping fests then it probably should be

I’m just annoyed fanboys are clearly wrong yet confident about what they’re posting when everything regarding history contradicts them

That all PTA movies but Phantom Thread have done festival circuit (which wasn’t a surprise since that’s common for Dec films and it had short production), many even appearing at NYFF. And the absence of festivals are bad omens for award success (not that I care but you said fests aren’t be all/end all when the history says otherwise).

All I’m trying to say is that this film’s entire trajectory and rollout has been concerning. Lots of red flags. I’m not very optimistic but hope I’m wrong and proven otherwise,

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on August 07, 2021, 02:56:09 AM

That all PTA movies but Phantom Thread have done festival circuit (which wasn't a surprise since that's common for Dec films and it had short production), many even appearing at NYFF. And the absence of festivals are bad omens for award success (not that I care but you said fests aren't be all/end all when the history says otherwise).

All I'm trying to say is that this film's entire trajectory and rollout has been concerning. Lots of red flags. I'm not very optimistic but hope I'm wrong and proven otherwise,

You say lots of red flags but all you have mentioned is the fact it hasnt gone to a festival.  Plus that guy that wrote that article in the link said this about Pauls films        "Maybe, but I don't think PTA is cooking with the old high-test these days. To me the PTA show peaked somewhere between Punch-Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood and started to gradually lose the mojo with The Master ('12), Inherent Vice ('14) and Phantom Thread "

So i dont know why i should take anything he says seriously.

RudyBlatnoyd

Yes has created a new philosophical thought experiment: If a movie doesn't premiere at a festival - particularly NYFF, his festival of choice - then does it even exist?

Drenk

If it doesn't premiere at Cannes, a festival decided to screen every Sean Penn, then how good can it really be?
Ascension.

Drill

There Will Be Blood didn't really do the "festival circuit". It was a surprise screening at one little festival. He may do the same with this. And that was the closest he's gotten to winning an Oscar. And why is Jeff Wells being brought up?

pynchonikon

Quote from: Drill on August 07, 2021, 08:22:24 AM
There Will Be Blood didn't really do the "festival circuit". It was a surprise screening at one little festival. He may do the same with this. And that was the closest he's gotten to winning an Oscar. And why is Jeff Wells being brought up?

The main argument concerning TWWB and Phantom Thread is that they both had the same big draw (DDL) and didn't really need any festival run in order to be noticed by the audiences or the AMPAAS.

Drill

Quote from: pynchonikon on August 07, 2021, 08:42:04 AM

The main argument concerning TWWB and Phantom Thread is that they both had the same big draw (DDL) and didn't really need any festival run in order to be noticed by the audiences or the AMPAAS.

It's not like Phantom Thread was a box office hit. I'm sure DDL was obviously a help in terms of Oscars, but I doubt any PTA film has ever gone underseen by Awards voters (If that's what we're arguing.). I'm sure it comes down more to how accessible they are rather than who's in it. The Master and Inherent Vice wouldn't have done that much better even if he had starred in them.

FWIW, they love to shower Bradley Cooper with nominations. And I bet everyone in the industry is going to be curious about Philip Seymour Hoffman's son.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Drenk on August 07, 2021, 07:41:11 AM
If it doesn't premiere at Cannes, a festival decided to screen every Sean Penn, then how good can it really be?

It didnt go to Cannes as it wasnt done with editing yet.

Yes

There Will Be Blood was a Dec release

Yes

Quote from: Mattbish19 on August 07, 2021, 06:25:12 AM
Quote from: Yes on August 07, 2021, 02:56:09 AM

That all PTA movies but Phantom Thread have done festival circuit (which wasn't a surprise since that's common for Dec films and it had short production), many even appearing at NYFF. And the absence of festivals are bad omens for award success (not that I care but you said fests aren't be all/end all when the history says otherwise).

All I'm trying to say is that this film's entire trajectory and rollout has been concerning. Lots of red flags. I'm not very optimistic but hope I'm wrong and proven otherwise,

You say lots of red flags but all you have mentioned is the fact it hasnt gone to a festival.  Plus that guy that wrote that article in the link said this about Pauls films        "Maybe, but I don't think PTA is cooking with the old high-test these days. To me the PTA show peaked somewhere between Punch-Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood and started to gradually lose the mojo with The Master ('12), Inherent Vice ('14) and Phantom Thread "

So i dont know why i should take anything he says seriously.

He's an insider with sources, which is more than you. And besides, he can't have an opinion? I dont agree but let's not act as if some people didn't fully grasp The Master and Vice compared to his earlier films